HELP me about a trade: 6505 for a Mini Rectifier

• Thread starter DjentDjentlalala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
Hi guys! I may trade my peavey 6505 for a mesa mini recto. Well,as of now i dont really know what to do. The mesa has cleans and portability,but hearing Ola englund's demo it seems quite muddy. Another pro is the wattage. And the 6505...yeah,he is always awesome. I just dont know if i should trade it or keep it. I play everything from hard rock to mathcore. Cleans are only a plus. Have you got any tips? Sorry for typos, i hate using the phone to browse here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cichra

Reaction score
I'd say size should be your main consideration here. The 6505 is a classic, monstrous, damn good amp. The only reason in my mind to trade it for a Mini-Recto is if you no longer need a large powerful amp and would prefer a smaller amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ola's videos wont tell you squat, really.

Go try the amp out yourself with your guitar :yesway:.

Your amp will probably do mathcore better, but the recto won't sound bad. Do you dislike the cleans on your peavey? If not, keep it.

Reaction score
Hi guys! I may trade my peavey 6505 for a mesa mini recto. Well,as of now i dont really know what to do. The mesa has cleans and portability,but hearing Ola englund's demo it seems quite muddy. Another pro is the wattage. And the 6505...yeah,he is always awesome. I just dont know if i should trade it or keep it. I play everything from hard rock to mathcore. Cleans are only a plus. Have you got any tips? Sorry for typos, i hate using the phone to browse here.

Keep the 6505 :metal:

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
mini-rec is a great choice as far as low-wattage /lunchbox amps, but it's no 120w beast in the girth department either.
6505 if it were my choice.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
I have to agree with the others and say keep the 6505. The mini is a nice lil amp, but nowhere near the beast of the peavey. Now if you we're gonna go for a dual/triple rectifier over your 6505, then I'd lean towards the mesa.

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
i may stick to my peavey. Anyone else willing to help? How can i use my 6505 at best even at low volumes?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean by that though? Those amps can get quiet, but they're not meant to be played at 0.5 on the post dial (quiet house volume).

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
I usually play @2 or less post gain with my band (yeah,they're a bunch of pussies,lol my lead guitarist plays a gh100L at low volume because he doesnt seem to care much about his tone.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
i may stick to my peavey. Anyone else willing to help? How can i use my 6505 at best even at low volumes?

I would absolutely keep the 6505.

Buy an attenuator - it will allow you to crank the amp but play at low volumes. Hot tubes = toneeeeeeeeee.

I love the THD Hot Plate

HP-All-print-22779f4c5a2f21947f1400a6db0e711d.jpg

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
I don't think the difference in volume will be as drastic as you think. Theoretically, a 10W amp should be half as loud as a 100W amp, all things equal. So a 25W mini rect should be have about 67.2% volume on tap as your 120W 6505. If you can afford to take that much of a hit in volume, which it sounds like you can since you're only setting your post gain to 2, then I would decide purely based on which sounds better to your ears.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Try pulling two tubes on your 6505. Make sure you halve the ohms coming out of your amp. Plug a 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm jack or an 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack. Do not run a 4 ohm cab. This will give you 60 watts of output and allow you to get more tube saturation at lower volumes.

As for the 6505 cleans, the worst part of the amp is the shared EQ, so set the amp's EQ to sound brutal on the dirty channel and get an EQ pedal to run in the loop and adjust it so your cleans sound more pleasing. You'll have to do a double stomp when you switch channels, but it shouldn't be too bad if you set your board up right.

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
So,in order to run it half power,i should pull out two tubes (the tech will do it) and use my 8 ohm cab with the 4 ohm out of the head,right?

cichra

Reaction score
From the website of Roger Crimm, who helped design the 5150/6505:
"Yes, you can run the 5150 or 5150 II with two power tubes removed to reduce the output to 60 watts. Remove the two outside power tubes and reduce the impedance selector setting to one value below the rating of your speaker cabinet (for example, set switch to 8 ohms for a 16 ohm cabinet).
This is safe as long as you account for the impedance difference. Keep in mind however, that half the power does NOT equal half the volume. The volume will drop about 3 dB, and headroom will be reduced slightly, but the amp will still be plenty loud when cranked."

Plenty of other great 5150 info on his site:
Peavey High Gain Amps: Ninety Nine Days-Roger Crimm

But the moral of this is, to get really usable bedroom volume, you'll need an attenuator.

jeffguy

Reaction score
I usually play @2 or less post gain with my band (yeah,they're a bunch of pussies,lol my lead guitarist plays a gh100L at low volume because he doesnt seem to care much about his tone.

Don't give away your amp just yet - sounds like you haven't been able to experience this amp at real volume. This amp sounds WAY different at anything under 3 vs anything above. I play a 5150ii in my band and turn up so that the sound mixes properly with my hard hitting drummer - usually around 4-5 master volume. None of my band members wear earplugs - No issue.

Advice?

Show up to practice with earplugs and tell your other guitarist that his tone sounds like quiffs. Turn your amp up to real working volume and enjoy as everyone else tries to keep up :)

Fromeasttowes

Reaction score
Keep the 6505 man. If yall were ever to play a decent show you'll be glad you did. Just tell your buddies to grow a pair and tell your drummer to stop hitting like a little girl. Metal isn't for pussies.

sear

Reaction score
Don't give away your amp just yet - sounds like you haven't been able to experience this amp at real volume. This amp sounds WAY different at anything under 3 vs anything above. I play a 5150ii in my band and turn up so that the sound mixes properly with my hard hitting drummer - usually around 4-5 master volume. None of my band members wear earplugs - No issue.
Depends on where you are playing it. If you are using your 6505 in a small bedroom then it is going to sound louder than in a larger room because the sound waves are going to be bouncing like crazy everywhere.

')