Help me build a rack!

MarcusProg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been really considering moving from my pedalboard setup into a MIDI controlled rackmount rig for live playing. The thing is, its hard to figure out just what I need for a rack. What I know I want for sure is:

-A Tuner (Probably the Korg Pitchblack)
-A Noise Gate (Not sure what to look for, as long as it's a rackmount and MIDI compatible)
-An EQ (I'm looking at the DBX 231 Graphic EQ, going to run one in front and one in the loop)
-Some sort of effects rack for delays and reverbs (G Major 2, perhaps? Suggestions please)
-A compressor maybe?
-A Wireless Relay (Probably going with a G90)
-A Midi footswitch of some sort (Could use some help here)
-A Power conditioner (Furman or something.)

So do you guys have any recommendations for what to look for? I'd be building this over time, so the price isn't a massive issue. Thanks again, guys.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm using a Mesa Mark V, so that isn't an issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InFlames235

Reaction score
In terms of the noise gate and wireless relay - I would recommend going with the Shure GLXD14 - it's not rackmount but it's really the best wireless relay for the price and you can rack mount it on a 1U shelf with velcro very easily. For the noise gate, while it's not MIDI compatible, you can't beat the ISP Pro Rack G. It tracks your signal and will adjust for the clean channel/high gain channels seamlessly and you really can't do any better than that.

MarcusProg

Reaction score
In terms of the noise gate and wireless relay - I would recommend going with the Shure GLXD14 - it's not rackmount but it's really the best wireless relay for the price and you can rack mount it on a 1U shelf with velcro very easily. For the noise gate, while it's not MIDI compatible, you can't beat the ISP Pro Rack G. It tracks your signal and will adjust for the clean channel/high gain channels seamlessly and you really can't do any better than that.

I heard about the Pro Rack G! I'll definitely look into that. I don't mind if the gate isn't MIDI compatible, since I use it mostly to eliminate that typical 60Hz hum and any hiss from effects and general noise.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I recommend a used G Major if you don't wanna spend a ton. Will give you your EQ GATE TUNER and FX all in the loop. If you plan to spend more, get a loop switcher like the Rocktron Patchmate. Then you can change effects and overdrives in and out at will. Here's my setup. I need a 6 or 8 space next.

Attachments

• 12241705_1136770949668168_3890919941123719224_n.jpg
    12241705_1136770949668168_3890919941123719224_n.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 40

MarcusProg

Reaction score
I recommend a used G Major if you don't wanna spend a ton. Will give you your EQ GATE TUNER and FX all in the loop. If you plan to spend more, get a loop switcher like the Rocktron Patchmate. Then you can change effects and overdrives in and out at will. Here's my setup. I need a 6 or 8 space next.

So is it also possible to run the G Major using the 4 cable method in order to have effects before the preamp and in the loop? What are the overdrives like on the G Major as well?

Reaction score
The G-Major does not allow for a 4 cable method. It has only 2 ins and 2 outs and no preamp loop fx block in its software, or so I think by reading its manual.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
It's meant to be used just in the loop. You wouldn't want any of the time based stuff or flanger out front anyway I imagine.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I used and gigged a G major for 4 years. It's CC patch changes via MIDI have over a 1 second lag, you have to be sure to use PC commands to minimize delay. You can google G major MIDI delay problems for more research on the subject. On Rig-Talk there exists an in-depth description of how to structure and change your patches so that the delay can be eliminated.

With that said, the G major has an amazing delay and reverb. I didn't care for the chorus or pitch changing features.

There is software that you can use called Gedit which is open source to allow you to setup and program the G major - sorta like the axe-edit software for axe Fx. Mind you this software was written easily 10 years ago, so I'm personally not sure about current operating system compatibility.

These days I recommend an eventide H9 for multieffects :)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been really considering moving from my pedalboard setup into a MIDI controlled rackmount rig for live playing. The thing is, its hard to figure out just what I need for a rack. What I know I want for sure is:

-A Tuner (Probably the Korg Pitchblack)
-A Noise Gate (Not sure what to look for, as long as it's a rackmount and MIDI compatible)
-An EQ (I'm looking at the DBX 231 Graphic EQ, going to run one in front and one in the loop)
-Some sort of effects rack for delays and reverbs (G Major 2, perhaps? Suggestions please)
-A compressor maybe?
-A Wireless Relay (Probably going with a G90)
-A Midi footswitch of some sort (Could use some help here)
-A Power conditioner (Furman or something.)

So do you guys have any recommendations for what to look for? I'd be building this over time, so the price isn't a massive issue. Thanks again, guys.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm using a Mesa Mark V, so that isn't an issue.

My rack is pretty straightforward.

Triaxis > G-major (for gate, EQ, tuner, delay, and phaser) => 2:Ninety => cabinet(s)

If you already have a Mark V head, you could just do a high quality floor-based unit like the TC Electronic G-system.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I used and gigged a G major for 4 years. It's CC patch changes via MIDI have over a 1 second lag

These days I recommend an eventide H9 for multieffects :)

I had the opposite experience. My CC changes click delay, phaser, or mute/tune instantly with the G-major. My old Eventide GTR4000 was a programming nightmare and a pain.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The G-Major does not allow for a 4 cable method. It has only 2 ins and 2 outs and no preamp loop fx block in its software, or so I think by reading its manual.

G-system can do pre and post gain effects.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I had the opposite experience. My CC changes click delay, phaser, or mute/tune instantly with the G-major. My old Eventide GTR4000 was a programming nightmare and a pain.

Yeah It had to do with how your patches are created. If you copy a patch and remove effects, it takes less time. If you create a new patch and use CC to change to it, expect long delays. It should not matter, but it was one of the big reasons behind the GMII being created. TC knew they screwed up pretty bad on that. It's well documented as well FWIW.

I had the opposite experience with the G major. I absolutely hated dealing with the default 3dB padding enabled on every single patch you ever create. If you forgot to disable the 3dB volume boost on the effects block when creating the new patch, you'd have your input set correctly for most effects, change banks, and then mid song get your ears blasted off because you forgot to set that effect back to 0dB :wallbash:

Not sure about your experiences on the build quality, but after 4 solid years of hard gigging and practicing, the selector wheels started falling off of my G major. It's a great sounding unit for the money, but the quality + fit and finish isn't on par with other models these days.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
To the OP:

I use this rack design now:

Front)
guitar => CE2 => 535Q => Front EQ => OD808 => Mk 2.4 Clean Boost

Back)
Rear EQ => (H9 || Timeline Delay) => Amp Post

(Floor)
GCX MIDI Controller
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

I have not gone MIDI yet, but plan to use the RJM effects gizmo. Not cheap but higher quality relays that will last a very long time and are also made for audio. FWIW it's the same relays used by Peavey 5150's which are pushing 25 years+ in age and still going strong.

MarcusProg

Reaction score
To the OP:

I use this rack design now:

Front)
guitar => CE2 => 535Q => Front EQ => OD808 => Mk 2.4 Clean Boost

Back)
Rear EQ => (H9 || Timeline Delay) => Amp Post

(Floor)
GCX MIDI Controller
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

I have not gone MIDI yet, but plan to use the RJM effects gizmo. Not cheap but higher quality relays that will last a very long time and are also made for audio. FWIW it's the same relays used by Peavey 5150's which are pushing 25 years+ in age and still going strong.

So its a pretty traditional pedalboard setup? The thing is that I already have a pedalboard, using a PolyTune, MXR 10 Band, NS-2, into the amp, and in the loop there is the MXR Carbon Copy and an RV-5. I want to combine the best of both worlds with respect to multi-effects (convenience, versatility) with my amp :) Using the Gizmo, does that make anything MIDI compatible?

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
The Gizmo allows you to control pedals in and out of a signal chain via MIDI - you hit 1 button and many things are changed at once.

If you get their amp gizmo as well, you can turn your amp into a MIDI controlled unit as well with their medusa cables. Then you could change amp channels and pedal setups via MIDI all at once :)

')