Help me choose a cab

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
I've been using a Genz Benz G-Flex 212 with my Marshall JMP-1 / Mesa 50/50 setup for quite some time and I'm getting a little sick of it. It's time for a 412! The G-Flex is an awesome cab but i delivers more bass response than I need and doesn't do enough justice to my mids and highs. I also want a 412 so I can get my speakers up off the ground a little. I always feel like 212's are just shooting a lazer beam of sound and my knees.

So anyway, I'm looking for a good 412 cab in the $500 range hopefully not much more. So far the prime candidate is an Avatar Traditional Custom, not sure what speakers yet, probably Vintage 30's or their Hellatone 60's, but it's right in my price range. I would prefer to get an angled cab but I'm going to be getting a rack case that's 17" deep and I feel like it would be sitting a little precariously on top of an angled cab so the more surface area I can get on top of the cab the better.

My second candidate is the Avatar Contemporary 412. It's a bit high for my price range but damn it looks awesome! The only thing that has me a little weary about this cab is though is that it weighs around 115 pounds! That's a beast! Not too much of a problem though, I just need to be more manly :flex:

The only other thing I don't like about the Avatars is you can't get them with both mono and stereo options, it's only one or the other. I'm currently running my setup in mono but I've been thinking of setting up to run in stereo since I have the other side of my poweramp that's getting absolutely no use. Do you think running my setup in stereo would be an advantage? I would prefer to be able to experiment with running in stereo but if I had to choose one or the other running in stereo sounds like it would be the right choice.

So anyway, give your thoughts on the Avatar cabs or recommend something else that sounds like it would suite my needs. Much appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the avatar cabs have a slanted baffle, but the grille cloth is straight? im not 100% sure on that.

pick the avatar you like best, they're solid cabs :yesway:

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
I believe the avatar cabs have a slanted baffle, but the grille cloth is straight? im not 100% sure on that.

pick the avatar you like best, they're solid cabs :yesway:

I've heard a lot of people say that but from the pics I've seen it doesn't look like they do :scratch: maybe I'll e-mail them and find out :idea:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I don't think it's slanted behind the grille. I'm fairly sure mine (traditional custom) isn't, though I can't find a flashlight to look right now. Fantastic cab, though.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
Pick up a Mesa/Marshall/Avatar 2x12 and run it in stereo with your G Flex :metal:

I considered that, but I think I'd rather just have one 412 than two 212's. Plus I need to sell the G-Flex to help fund getting a new cab anyway. It's certainly a good idea though.

StarStormer

ChadBroChill17
Reaction score
You should actually just go all out and give them a phone call.
The dude will spend as much time as you need answering your questions regarding the type of sound you want to achieve and so forth.

ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!:metal:

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
You should actually just go all out and give them a phone call.
The dude will spend as much time as you need answering your questions regarding the type of sound you want to achieve and so forth.

ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!:metal:

Thanks but I already sent an e-mail. I give them a call if I feel so inclined in the future though.

Man I am totally digging the green tolex.
cont%20green.jpg

g412greenblack.jpg

I'm thinking I'm goig to have to get one of the Contemporary cabs with green tolex, black grill and white piping.

How hard would it be to rewire the speakers so that I could run it stereo or mono? Like 8 ohm mono and 4 ohm stereo or something like that if thats how it works. I'm not very good with this stuff.