Help me choose a pc (and recording beginner questions)

• Thread starter guitarfan85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a desktop pc for recording my guitar, and for using drum programs like superior drummer.

Right now I currently have an older pod xt. (With metal pack).

I also have rokit5 studio monitors.

So all I need is a prebuilt PC. I don't need the most/best but I don't want the least/worst. As I said I do plan on using a drum program, and recording guitar through the pod. (At least for now). I'll probably use reaper, or something like it that's free or cheap.

Basically I just want a pre-built pc that can handle all of this. (I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc. Already)

I plan on using windows 7 (64 bit better)
I don't want to build my own
and I'm not entirely sure what my budget is. Let's just say no more than $500.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hey guitarfan85 !

For the price you've listed, you should be able to get a pretty decent Desktop. The specs I would go for are:

• Processor: Nothing less than an i5, 3rd generation
  • OS: Windows 7 64 bit. Since 32 Bit will cap out addressable memory at 4GB [realistically you're going to have about 3GB useable of the 4GB installed]
  • RAM: Nothing less than 8GB. This is again critical later when you start to install VST instruments. The more you have, the better off you are.
  • Primary HDD: I would try to get a SSD, but a hybrid or plain old HDD would work as well. I would try and get a smaller dedicated OS HDD [120 GB or so] and then add additional HDD's [1-2 TB] to store all the data / audio files. This keeps the OS drive from filling up and slowing down.
  • Soundcard: Get a decent sound card. Something that can handle 24-bit 48K should be decent for most people. Unless you plan on buying an interface later, in which case, save for that and buy something basic for now.
  • Graphics Card: Unless you're going to play serious games, I would recommend you get one that supports multiple Monitors at high resolution. Most people have a 2 monitor system running at 1920 or higher resolution.

That said, you could look around the local computer stores / chain stores to see what they have and if they can build you one for a competitive price. Sometimes chain stores have Clearance sales where you can get a really good deal on "new old stock".

Ebay too, has some good deals on Pre configured Desktops and you can filter by your choice.

Ebay listing for Desktops in the sub $500 range

Additionally, I would recommend buying the OEM version of the OS off ebay for cheap and not have it preinstalled, and buying an External Backup Drive in case your disk crashes [happens quite often and I know people who've lost entire projects because of faulty disks]

Hope that helps !

Good luck shopping !

col

blah.
Reaction score
To add to that I'd check how many PCI and PCIe slots does it have in case you decide to get a card instead of an interface or need to get a firewire card for your interface in the future.

')