Help me choose my next shredder (PRS vs Jackson vs Ibanez)

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which one should be my next shredder?

• PRS Custom 24 Core/Wood Library

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Jackson DK2 MIJ (with the square plate)

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Ibanez RG 1570 prestige

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Kiesel DC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm searching for my "the one"
Here are a few recent ones that I currently own and are close to be my "the one"

- Charvel DK24
-- Pros: Great neck, great ergonomics.
-- Cons: No SS frets, but I am already working on that. If this turns out to be good, it might be my "the one"

- Ibanez RG652
-- Pros: Super light, great sound great playability. Upgraded worn out frets to SS
-- Cons: I'm not sure how I feel about the maple fretboard. I might get it scalloped

- Gibson LP Modern
-- Pros: Great sound, nitro finish is great feeling. Handles that "PAF sound" exactly how I would expect
-- Cons: Not so comfortable to "shred", no trem. A little heavy at 8.6lbs

The experience with the guitars above gets me a few choices currently available:

- Jackson MIJ DK2
-- Pros: similar neck profile to Charvel, lightweight and cheap
-- Cons: not sure how I feel about the square neck plate. I might have to buy before trying. I may or may not have to replace the bridge given multiple reports against the Lo Pro TRS. I prefer humbucker on the neck, so might have to stick a Dimarzio Air Norton S in it

- Ibanez RG1570
-- Pros: I've owned one. I know what I'm getting into. Affordable used
-- Cons: Might need a new bridge given most guitars are ~20 years old. Also, since I'm left handed, my only option is black

- Kiesel DC
-- Pros: SS frets, carbon fiber rods, NTB construction
-- Cons: If I ever decide to sell it, that would easily a $800 depreciation hit. Kiesel doesn't offer returns if I choose compound radius (which I really want)

- PRS Custom 24 Core
-- Pros: beautiful guitar, great sound. It would be a great replacement for my LP Modern. Buying the PRS and selling the Gibson would not be a crazy expensive upgrade
-- Cons: I don't know how much range I'd get by pulling the tremolo... it looks like almost a dive only trem
So, should I try my luck with a Jackson or PRS or should I just play safe and just get the RG?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I voted for the Ibanez because of brand fanboyism... just buy a used Prestige... you know the forum's moto, you know the drill.

Ok, now seriously, list what you need as:
* pickup layout / sound options
* scale length / fretboard radius
* bridge type
* guitar weight
* overall aesthetics

Remember, somethings can be easily modded, others not so much and some aren't even worth modding.

At a certain point, a guitar is as good as its setup, specially the fret leveling, dressing/crowning and polishing because that's where the notes will born and ring. All the rest is a matter of comfort and personal taste. Thankfully, this fret thing can be adjusted by DIY or at a local and trusted tech. Besides this, the guitar woods and mechanical parts (truss rod, tuners, bridge) must be in good shape and resistant to wear. The neck's profile and fretboard radius are also a strong part of the equation as they'l directly interfere with one's play. If these parameters are granted, one will have a great guitar. Then comes the sound aesthetics, which are what will make the guitar sound like, which are the easiest to swap without affecting any other aspect of the guitar and completely change its voice and range.

So, with this in mind, I'd probably go to the Ibanez because it will be cheaper (used) and the possible upgrades summed up will cost less than probably any of the others, specially the PRS or the Kiesel. A used Ibanez (if in good condition) with upgraded/updated pickups and frets (either re-leveled or refreted) will be a shredder difficult to beat in price and specs wise... hence the forum's moto, obviously.

Reaction score
For the sake of versatility: you already have an Ibanez and a Charvel. Not sure whether they have trems (sounds like it from your description), but they already kind of sound like they are in your ballpark. If you like the Gibson but don't like that it has no trem and that it isn't as comfortable, PRS is exactly what you need. The sound and characteristics of a Gibson LP, but with the ergonomics of a Strat. I'm pretty sure there are Core PRS's with a Floyd Rose trem, I think that would basically fulfill all your needs.

PRS Custom 24 Floyd

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Prs trem is a semi-tone on pull-up iirc.

Why not a custom 24 floyd? Or dustie waring sig?
Don't forget they come with nitro top coats now so if you whack the body a few too many times you'll absolutely annihilate the finish

From the options, I'd vote core/WL floyd

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget they come with nitro top coats now so if you whack the body a few too many times you'll absolutely annihilate the finish

From the options, I'd vote core/WL floyd
It’s ok to let guitars look played imo :yesway: (some folks would flip so its a good shoutout)

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
It’s ok to let guitars look played imo :yesway: (some folks would flip so its a good shoutout)
I 100% agree

HOWEVER

I have bought and sold enough guitars to know that there is a 90% chance I will eventually want to sell any given guitar I get. And PRS buyers want shiny PRS's. So in this case I think it warrants mentioning because any damage to a core PRS's finish will impact resale significantly more than the equivalent wear on something like a Fender or a Gibson.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I 100% agree

HOWEVER

I have bought and sold enough guitars to know that there is a 90% chance I will eventually want to sell any given guitar I get. And PRS buyers want shiny PRS's. So in this case I think it warrants mentioning because any damage to a core PRS's finish will impact resale significantly more than the equivalent wear on something like a Fender or a Gibson.
Eh I have bought and sold a fair share of prs and they just have awful resale as original owner regardless. Theres a 2023 594 for 2/3 sticker and its sitting.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
I voted for the Ibanez since you know you like it and can get a good deal used.

I would vote for the jackson but i feel the ibanez has better components and a better resale value since its already depreciated.

The kiesel is a good option if you know what specs you want . Yes kiesels take a big hit after buying them but unless you go super niche with the specs and make it gawdy youll be fine. Kiesels are great value for the money if you go super basic. I’m talking base woods base finishes etc only change the neck shape and or radius fret size etc. They overcharge for the wood options imo

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For shredding, the most comfortable guitars to me, are the Jacky and the Ibanez but I have a better feeling with the Ibanez neck on the 1570.
A real good guitar. I only wish she had only HH config and not that single coil in the middle I hate.

2 HB directly mounted on the table (please no more ugly plastic support on a guitar!), a Lo Pro Edge, 24 frets and a super Wizard and that's all!

Some of my dreams:
RG3120
RG2620
RG2820

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For Custom 24 Core/Wood Library money, there's a bunch of choices. Maybe Mexi Jackson DK2, the four bolt/no plate kind, or the Japanese DK2M, since it has a neck HB and no middle?
Also, I like the Charvel DK24, or you could try a Virtuoso. The one I played was very good, I just don't have a niche for it to fill. If they made a Virtuoso 7, though...

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I have all the guitars you mention...if not the same model, the same ball park
Consider I have sausage fingers, but good hand posture and great stretch and for me the PRS and the LesP are annoying to play on the bottom stringspast the 12th frets
It's a matter of neck joint and scale, so my fingers are too cramped, and that's why I love baritones, more for the hand space than for the sound
If you get a 24 frets PRS it's damn annoying to play the last 3 frets, at least for me

Having said that, I love both the LesP and the PRS, but shred wise they have limits in a section of the fretboard, at least for me

')