Help me choose new pickups for a UV777!!

Count_Dissident

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the DiMarzio Blaze pickups in an Ibanez UV777 and I am looking for recommendations.
The style of music is death metal/progressive metal. Kinda like Behemoth/Gojira combined with Opeth that has some Devin Townsend or even Porcupine Tree tossed in. I am looking for a tone that has plenty of metal crunch (tight but deep more well round lows; singing and sweet lead tone). I like the "djent" sound for low rhythms, but I want a tone that still sounds great for more progressive chords and has definition that allows for separation and clarity between the notes of the chord. I am also hoping for a solid clean tone (full and bright but not biting and thin).
I have a few different ones in mind, but I am not mentioning them because I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
maybe you can start by mentioning what it is that you dont like about your dimarzios blaze

cult

Reaction score
Out of the blue I'd say Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat set or Nailbomb Set (C-Bomb or A-Bomb depending on the rest of the setup)

What's the rest of your setup like?
What tuning, what string gauges?

jerm

Reaction score
Dimarzio Super Distortion (love mine), Blaze Custom (Different than the regular blazes that you have now, would need to order directly from Dimarzio), Ionizer's, Illuminator's. These are for the bridge.

Count_Dissident

Reaction score
maybe you can start by mentioning what it is that you dont like about your dimarzios blaze

I don't dislike the Blaze pickups, I am just looking for a tighter, more modern sounding crunch on the low end. I actually really like the Blaze pickups for leads. I am pretty neutral on the clean sounds, I do think the clean sound is more than adequate, but for my tastes I think I may be able to improve on the Blaze.

Out of the blue I'd say Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat set or Nailbomb Set (C-Bomb or A-Bomb depending on the rest of the setup)

What's the rest of your setup like?
What tuning, what string gauges?

I use Elixir 9-42 with a 56 on the B string. I am currently tuning to standard tuning with the B string dropped to A. Occasionally I drop the E string to D as well.

I do like the ceramic Nailbombs, but I was considering the Juggernauts as well. The only skepticism I have about the Juggernauts is the lead tone and definition in full chords. The Nailbomb skepticism is more based on the low end crunch, but I don't this is really huge concern.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I have BKP Painkillers in mine and I'm not completely sold on them... they sound alright but nothing great

Count_Dissident

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help, but I have actually decided to keep the Blaze II pickups in the UV and venture into the world of 8 string guitars. If you would like to help me with my decision, please vote in my poll thread here: Best 8 string under $1500 Thanks again everyone!!

')