Help me choose pickups for my second RG550 Genesis in D standard

• Thread starter Stiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which pickups do you recommend for my RG550 Genesis in D standard for prog metal & rock

• DiMarzio Gravity Storm + Gravity Storm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gclef

Reaction score
So I recently acquired another RG550 and I want to put new pickups in the bridge and neck (keeping the S1 in the middle).

I have the Gravity Storm neck and bridge in my first RG550 and absolutely love them. I don't think I want to use the same pickups in this one, but there's an argument to be make about sticking to what I know I like etc...

I also have the Evo7 and Liquifire7 in my RG752 (basswood body) and I really like that combo, and I've also have had the Evo in another guitar that I really enjoyed the tone of.

I'm not looking to play super heavy stuff, I mostly play prog rock and metal. Looking for a bit darker of a tone in general.

Lastly, I typically only ever consider DiMarzio pickups, but I'm thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity to try out some SD pickups that, from what I can tell are geared towards progressive music.
I have a basswood bodied hardtail rg921 that needed better pickups. It turned out that I got 2 bridge pickups instead of the n/b set, so there you go. It's a very clear guitar with a somewhat light low end.

First was full shreds. I love these, but holy heck were they ever the wrong pickup in this application, due to them having the same eq as the guitar itself. It had a doubling effect and sounded tight and ear piercing.

Gotta try something new.

The aha moment hit me that I should find a pickup set that will balance out that eq, not emphasize it with the same eq, but which ones? Well, dimarzio makes a ton of pickups with chopped highs, so I started there.
Was looking at:
Tz/an
Az/an
All the petrucci sets
The breeds
mo Joe/ paf joe or pro

I did research out the yin yang and narrowed down to the tz/an or breeds. Out of those 2, it came down to vintage or modern. The tz/an being modern, and the breeds being (and I heard them described this way too) a vintage take on the tz/an. Hmmmm......

I ended up with the breeds. As you know, they are another vai set. They are "discontinued ", but still available if you order them directly or thru a dealer. They are supposed to get sort of a les paul sound from a shred stick, which impressively, they do. In fact, they sound fatter than my ltd ec401v with 36ths loaded. They get that vibe, and it is freakin' cool!

So how do they sound in a brighter thin guitar? I won't be switching them out, that's for sure.

Neck- parallel sounds good, splitting ro single sounds really good. It really does remind me of a vintage sounding air norton. It's in the feel. There isn't any airbucker or mismatched coils happening here, just a 10k neck pickup. I hear it makes a great bridge pickup btw.

The bridge - do you like fat sounding bridge pickups? This is one of them, lol. Let me say this from the get go, I don't use the bridge humbucker itself for anything but gain. You know how alot of guys roll off the highs at the bridge for stuff? Yeah, that's not necessary here. It's like your tone control stops at 7 or so. That's what I like for my bridge sound, and it delivers in spades. Go from neck (where the tone control is almost always at ten) to bridge without adjusting the tone knob.
The mids are truly special here. They are more broad spectrum rather than all high mids like a jb and they crunch up really well. They chug for days!

Combined to inner coils, they deliver a very stratty sound that sits in between strat n/m and b/m in sound.

I really like these pickups, and would use them again in a brighter guitar. I would not use these in a les paul though, unless you want really warm.

Do a search here and on jemsite for some other people's opinions on them. Jemsite is a great source for all things ibanez. Back in the day, everyone was on there! There are plenty of reviews and threads about all kinds of dimarzios.

My advice is to play your 550 unplugged and see what it has/needs eq wise. Choose pickups that balance things out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I'm going to get flamed I'm sure, but in my ears those EQ graphs are trash.

I hate to sound like a 13 year old fan boy. But honestly, find a band that you like the sound of, and try to use as much gear as they use (or at least figure out how they are using their gear to get a certain sound).

Also, go with what you know, don't deviate too much from what you like. If you like Evo's, there probably isn't much from Duncan that you would like. Unless you want to spend $1000 experimenting with pickups try something similar to the EVO from Dimarzio (they make tons of "progressive" pickups). Read their descriptions and see what you might like.

Stay away from the EVO II, it's just not loud enough.

Stiman

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a 13 year old fan boy. But honestly, find a band that you like the sound of, and try to use as much gear as they use (or at least figure out how they are using their gear to get a certain sound).

You're not wrong, you really can't go wrong with just using the gear of the artist you want to sound like. Problem is, Petrucci uses mainly mahogany bodied guitars, and a Mesa JP2C. I don't have that gear nor do I even want it. I'm happy with the gear I have for the most part. Just need better pickups for this guitar.
Honestly, it's not about finding the "best" pickups, it's a lot more binary for me - good or bad. Current pickups = bad. If the replacements are "good", then I'm good.

Also, go with what you know, don't deviate too much from what you like. If you like Evo's, there probably isn't much from Duncan that you would like. Unless you want to spend $1000 experimenting with pickups try something similar to the EVO from Dimarzio (they make tons of "progressive" pickups). Read their descriptions and see what you might like.

Yeah, I do agree with this approach in general. I'm thinking that the TZ + AN set (which I already purchased now, as mentioned above) appear to be a safe bet as well. I'm sure they will be. I'll report back once it's all done. The pickups are actually stuck at the border for the last week+, very annoying...

Stiman

Reaction score
UPDATE

Ok, so I received the Tone Zone and Air Norton pickups. Got them installed in my E standard RG550 and moved my Gravity Storm pickups in my D standard RG550.

The D standard guitar sounds pretty good with the GS pickups, I like them just as well as when they were in E standard.

As for the Tone Zone and Air Norton, this was my first experience with these pickups and I'm impressed. They are quite good. I thought the GS were fairly dark but the TZ is quite dark. I have no problems with it though, it's a great pickup.

Anyway, I now have the TZ, GS and Evo from DiMarzio and they're all great. They make great pickups.

Stiman

Reaction score
Oh! I forgot to mention that I ran into an issue where position 2 & 4 are obviously wrong somehow. I followed the wire colors that I had done with the Gravity Storms (white + black together on one end of the switch, red on the other end, green + bare on ground).

The position 2 & 4 sound like 1/3 of the volume and trebbly. I'm certain that it's wrong though because I can compare to my other RG550 and those positions sound as they should. I'm trying to find the correct wiring diagram online but for such a common guitar, diagrams or photos are hard to find.

gclef

Reaction score
I
Oh! I forgot to mention that I ran into an issue where position 2 & 4 are obviously wrong somehow. I followed the wire colors that I had done with the Gravity Storms (white + black together on one end of the switch, red on the other end, green + bare on ground).

The position 2 & 4 sound like 1/3 of the volume and trebbly. I'm certain that it's wrong though because I can compare to my other RG550 and those positions sound as they should. I'm trying to find the correct wiring diagram online but for such a common guitar, diagrams or photos are hard to find.
If you're using the original ibanez switch, look up ibamez wiring diagrams. There isba site that allows you to look up model specific diagrams that match their switches. They dont have everything, but there aren't that many variations. Find one that is close with dimarzios.

For super switch diagrams, dimarzio is great. They have dozens of different diagrams.

2 and 4 are inner coils with the middle, Ala strat, correct? If you didn't also change the middle single coil, you might have a phase issue happening. Easy way to check is to swap the 2 leads on the middle pickup.

Stiman

Reaction score
2 and 4 are inner coils with the middle, Ala strat, correct? If you didn't also change the middle single coil, you might have a phase issue happening. Easy way to check is to swap the 2 leads on the middle pickup.

This is possibly the issue. As I play around some more, it's more like 1/4 or less output in position 2 & 4. I will try revering the wires, thank you for the info!

gclef

Reaction score
This is possibly the issue. As I play around some more, it's more like 1/4 or less output in position 2 & 4. I will try revering the wires, thank you for the info!
Anytime.

Let us know what it was.

You know there's gonna be someone a few years from now that'll happen upon this thread with the same problem

Latest posts

')