Help me choose PU's for Ibanez RGD

• Thread starter X14Halo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
I've got a set of BKP Aftermaths in mine and I couldn't be happier.

EDIT: I've failed to mention that what I was looking for in the pickups was exactly what you're looking for now.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
For me it would be Crunchlab/Liquifire in that guitar. They work great in basswood. If you want to go the BKP route Cold Sweat and Miracle Man sets would serve you well. I have never heard a Duncan I liked in basswood.

wildchild

Reaction score
I have a seymour duncan full shred and distortion 7 in my RGs and I have found that the full shred is great for leads and the distortion is great for rhythm
but I have and still love the nailbomb in the bridge too bad they are so expensive
its easier to play around with duncans and dimarzios

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
i have a duncan invader in my RG7321 bridge and i love it. so much better that the stock pickups. also its passive if you want something like that. plus they look really cool

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
My personal choice for that guitar and that style would be cl/lf or deactivators.

reguv760

Reaction score
quite happy with BKP C-Bomb bridge + Miracle Man7 neck combo for G#/Ab standard :)

rgdpups.jpg

Mind you, I had to "shave" the metal corners a tiny bit for each pup as the routes for the stock pups are really tight. Tried shoving a Dimarzio CL7/LF7 set but didn't want to "shave off" the base so that pair went to another guitar [which reqiured no routing] instead - win/win :shred:
So whatever pups ya get, bear in mind that some sort of routing is needed either on the guitar or on the pickups :)

yellowv said:
I have never heard a Duncan I liked in basswood.

my only experience with Duncan's was a Duncan Distortion in an RG470 many many moons ago [in my teenage years to play deathmetal]... f**king hated it, which eventually led to 'not giving a s***' about Duncan's on RG's since. Not dissing SD as they DO make good pups, just not for my ears + Ibby's :)
However, I do have to admit I like the look of a pair of Invaders in a black RG550...

Reg

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I had to "shave" the metal corners a tiny bit for each pup as the routes for the stock pups are really tight.

How did you go about this? I just installed BKP in one of my 7s but it was such a tight fit in the bridge that its slanted.

I'd recommend a Miracle Man set. Really tight for rhythm, smooth 3D cleans, effortless pinch harmonics that jump out. The neck is great for leads but I haven't tried out the bridge much for lead work. A black/white zebra pair would look awesome in your black RGD.

')