Help me choose: RGA42 vs X50 vs H251

• Thread starter davidsantana27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which one should I get?

• Ibanez RGA42

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • LTD H-251

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Washburn X-50

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Hello!

I need a cheap guitar that won't leave my flat at all, will be used for home practice (Line6 Pod -> headphones) and some small-scale home recording. I've been looking through offers of used guitars here in Poland and so far I've encountered those mentioned in the title in good prices and they are totally fitting my needs: Ibanez RGA42 (2008), Washburn X50 (Indonesia) and LTD H251, all mahogany, no-tremolos, 24 frets, just what I need.

So, I need straight answers, which to choose and why, they all come in similar prices and similar condition, pickups will be replaced in near future anyway, so don't be concerned by such details, just a matter of being better/worse in general quality, the most important thing is playing comfort and good craftsmanship.

I am aware that it's hard to judge without playing each of them, but I don't have such possibility. I've owned several Ibanez guitars, mostly Japanese, and several LTDs, mostly Deluxe and I liked both of them in terms of playing comfort (neck, craftsmanship, etc). Never had a Washburn before. Guitar will be used mostly for some technical and metal stuff, like Protest The Hero, The Human Abstract, Death, etc. Personal experience in giving opinions on those guitars will be much appreciated.

I know my request may sound quite stupid, but I always have problems with making choices, whether it's about ice cream flavor or a guitar. Thanks in advance guys, I know you will help me:bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
ive owned a couple washburns in the past that were decent, but I prefer the ltd and ibbys more.

also, what pups are in them? if memory serves, i think both of those came stock with emg hz.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Ibby has stock actives, LTD some Rockfield pickups, X50 comes without pups (and ofc in adequately lower price), but I'm gonna replace them anyway, so don't mind that.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I would personally go for the LTD. I've always been impressed with their quality, even on the lower end guits. I own 3 myself.

IME the lower end Ibanez's are pretty poor in the fret area until you start getting up in the model numbers.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I think I'd go for the Washburn. Always quite liked them. And that one has a heelless set-neck, should have the best upper register access of the three.

And if it's cheaper because of the lack of pickups, which isn't an issue for you in this case anyway, then so much the better! Leaves you with more money to change out the pickups for something better.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
Choose the one with the most comfortable neck, and the best build. They are all equal in terms of resale, upgrade potential, etc.....

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i've got the Washburn x50 proq and had it for around 8 years, love it. which one is it, the x50 proq? x50profe? or just x50? it's very well built. what pups are you gonna put in there? it loves bright and tight pickups, and they're a must for your styles of music. its fretboard will feel a little bit more vintagey/less flat compared to the Ibanez and the LTD, i think, if that matters to you.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
That Washburn is a x50profe. In terms of pickups I'm gonna go with SH-6 + SH-2 set.
In general, I prefer LTD neck to Ibanez, which a tiny bit too flat and wide, still can't decide, but I will try to find some similar Washburns in local shops and try them out if possible. Thanks for all posts!

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Thanks for all input guys, it turned out that I got a crazy good deal on Schecter Damien Elite, brand new from shop, so I took my chance and bought it, gonna have it in 1-2 days.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Dang, I was going to tell you to check if it was a Korean or Indonesian X50 for sure, if it was an older Korean X50 it would have been the best choice

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i tried once to compare my indonesian one to a korean one, and seriously the build quality are the exact same. maybe the top on the korean one was a bit nicer but that's all.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
@silverabyss it was Indonesian
I am very happy with Schecter's sound and quality/craftsmanship, it's as good as on my LTD MH1000. Neck is a bit chunkier, but I think my huge hands will get used to it in no time. Overall - highly recommended!

Latest posts

')