Help me decide between guitars...

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

which one should i get first....

• Godin 5th Avenue

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Dean Soltero Standard

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Others (suggest which ones and why)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

soliloquy

Reaction score
so, i just sold my Agile for a good price(i made quiet a bit profit on it...) and now i'm looking for a guitar to fill the void. i've been drooling after these two guitars for well over 2 years now. one is a bit more expensive, but even then, i can afford it. and i know, both of these are like apples to a car(not even orange as oranges are still fruits).

so, the guitars are:
Godin 5th Avenue in Cogniac burst:
FifthAve_Front.jpg

FifthAve_FullFront.jpg

i'm interested in this guitar because a) it looks super classy! b) its satin finish. c) my other acoustic right now is a Crafter Hybrid guitar, and it sounds great plugged in. not much volume to it acoustically though. so the 5th avenue would fill that void. also, the price point at about 400 dollars with the case looks very tempting. future upgrades would include putting on a wooden pickguard, and maybe a peizo under the bridge. all that is a maybe

guitar two is a
Dean Soltero Standard in transbrazillian burst
soltera-lg2.jpg

i'm interested in this guitar because its far from the regular single cut guitar. its neck is a soft V, its body is a thick maple cap with mahogany body. its tail piece is a fixed stop tail unlike the TOM bridge. its volume knob for its neck is close by to do volume swells, and that cleavage on the top of the guitar looks classy too. future mods maybe: uncovered black alnico two in the bridge pickup. maybe black plastic rings. its price is about 450ish or so...

anotehr guitar i'm interested in, but dont know how i exactly feel about it are these. i think i'll save up and get these later...or should i get these now and get the 5th avenue and the soltero later on:
Alden metal top zemaitis type guitar:
DSC05781.jpg

cant afford a zemaitis, and dont think i ever will either. looks really different and cool.

and an ibanez RGA121 or an ibanez rg321mh coz i need a 24 fret shredder
ibanez-rga121.jpg

29489861-260x260-0-0_Ibanez_Ibanez_RG321MH_Rg_Guitar_Mahogony_Oil.jpg

where i'll be replacing the neck with a maple fret board neck...

so, which would you suggest, and why?

at the moment, i'm leaning more towards the soltero simply because its discontinued while the other guitars are still around. but i could change my mind based on whatever you guys suggest...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arminius

Reaction score
I would go for the Godin and
29489861-260x260-0-0_Ibanez_Ibanez_RG321MH_Rg_Guitar_Mahogony_Oil.jpg

this one, because I really like the bridge style.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'd take the Godin and one of the Ibanez RGs. Don't expect the Godin to be superloud acoustically, but it will sound great plugged in. I thought they came with Piezos as standard, but a Fishman system would have it sounding excellent.

I'd give the Dean a wide berth.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Those Godins are nice; I'd aim for the model with the P90 in the neck position for maximum versatility though.

Those Deans can be nice, but make sure you play before you buy. My own personal choice for that style of guitar would be a PRS SE Singlecut.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Those Godins are nice; I'd aim for the model with the P90 in the neck position for maximum versatility though.

Those Deans can be nice, but make sure you play before you buy. My own personal choice for that style of guitar would be a PRS SE Singlecut.

from my experience, the SE line is the second worst and most over priced korean guitar out there. first being dean, but its a hit and miss. those that play nice, really play nice and are far better than a regular 3000 dollar guitar. those that play bad are just bad.

but if i was to get a prs type guitar, i'd get a roxbury.

edawg

Reaction score
The Godins looks awesome, but I'd personally prefer that Dean Soltero Standard! That guitar looks hot!

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Despite the recent changes, this quote alone just proved that ss.org hasn't really changed. :lol:

I really do prefer Ibanez over other brands. I'm not just name dropping Ibanez for cool points. They did originate the production seven.

LorenzoD

vidya gaems
Reaction score
From what you're looking at, I would definitely choose the Godin and the RGA121. Though, I haven't had much experience with Deans so I can't say much about them.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I suggest the RGA121, great guitars, especially for used prices :D, but with the prestige neck I would just get a re fretboard rather than a new neck, but if you get an RGA321 or other Indo RGA by all means get a new neck :yesway:

Arminius

Reaction score
I really do prefer Ibanez over other brands. I'm not just name dropping Ibanez for cool points. They did originate the production seven.

Don't worry mate, I'm not knockin' on you at all :), I just found it amusing and somewhat comforting.:lol:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I've played that Godin it is lovely. I'd go for either that or the RGA121 is you really need a shredder.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How much will you use that Godin?

I tried a PRS SE singlecut on the weekend and it was fantastic, I GAS'd hard :lol: - I would seriously suggest playing a few more. If the action isn't to your liking, that can be adjusted.

soliloquy

Reaction score
the trigger was pulled on the soltero. now the long one month or so wait...:(

i figured that the soltero is discontinued so its hard to find. the RGA121 was discontinued, and finding one is getting harder by the day! and people who do sell it seem to think its a godsend and thus price it near a grand, which is not worth it.

the Godin is going to be around for a few years, so i'll just pick it up later down the road. i generally dont like traditional looking acoustics with sitka spruce plain tops, and i get bored of flat tops. so the Godin would have been my acoustic acoustic. my Crafter is a hybrid acoustic that i would play live with(if i ever play live :lol: ), while the godin would be a house kicker or a smaller open mic thing

the SE line i got a lot of issues with. their fixed tails i dont like as i often change gauges of the strings, and thus, my intonation changes as well. with their fixed tails, i have a guitar that wont intonate. thats one of the reasons why i sold my tokai NLP-40. yes, i can put over those adjustable bridges, but why pay more for it?

second issue i have with them is that their finishes are too thick and feel plasticy.

third is their price. they dont really offer anything amazing, yet are priced considerably higher than most other import companies. i do, however, like their weight though.

however, with that said, if i am to buy an SE, the new opeth SE would be the one. i dont like opeth, but a single cut, 24 fret guitar is kick ass! also, with a stripped neck, this guitar is a win. i'd prolly strip the finish and do something funky with it though...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I sold my Agile at a loss, how did you turn yours for a profit :( lol. I dunno I really liked the SE, reminded me of my old LP studio in all the right ways. Give me one with 4 knobs in snow white and I'm fucked lol.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I sold my Agile at a loss, how did you turn yours for a profit :( lol. I dunno I really liked the SE, reminded me of my old LP studio in all the right ways. Give me one with 4 knobs in snow white and I'm fucked lol.

i bullshit a lot! or rather, i extend the truth a few extra miles :p
i sold my PS924. got it for 320. sold it for 400. how?
i said that its discontinued and rare now(true)
prs yelled at kurt to change it as it looked like a PRS a bit too much (true)
it costs a LOT to have it shipped across the border (true)
i threw in a screaming demon pickup in the bridge worth 100 bucks (true)
it comes with wilkinson bridge, which lacks on the SE line (true)
looks better than the SE as SEs have a flat top (true)
it has an ebony board which even the USA prs dont have (true)
is even with the higher price, its still cheaper than a new PRS SE (also true)

:lol:

why not get a wide agile AL instead then? maybe a white AL3100?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The AL3100's are the same width as gibson LP's I think? Maybe a touch thinner. That SD pickup is $100 new maybe, but not used :lol:.

I paid $500 for my AL3100 in mint condition (which was steep, I should have done my research, my fault) and sold it for $350. New prices don't count for much IMO, just like with cars - that $30,000 Honda just hit $20K when it rolled off the lot lol. Congrats to you (I need money, can you tell? :lol).

Why the long wait for the Soltero again? Yes, I'm not reading everything lol

soliloquy

Reaction score
The AL3100's are the same width as gibson LP's I think? Maybe a touch thinner. That SD pickup is $100 new maybe, but not used :lol:.

I paid $500 for my AL3100 in mint condition (which was steep, I should have done my research, my fault) and sold it for $350. New prices don't count for much IMO, just like with cars - that $30,000 Honda just hit $20K when it rolled off the lot lol. Congrats to you (I need money, can you tell? :lol).

Why the long wait for the Soltero again? Yes, I'm not reading everything lol

agiles nut width is at 1 5/8. gibson uses a 1 11/16. i used to think that gibson was a standard, but then i came across EBMM, Fender, some PRS USA and SE and tons of other companies that use 1 5/8 nuts. i'm persoanlly not a fan as finger picking or chords are a bit hard on a narrow nut. the agile wide is meant to be as wide as the rickenbaker 600 series guitars, but its a bit narrower, so its much closer to the 1 11/16 size nuts.

a new agile to canada should cost about 80 dollars shippig. so around 500 dollars is correct.

and the long wait coz i order things to my family in ohio. i go there once every now and then. i think i'm going to the states some time in may, so thats when i'll pick it up...hopefully.

')