Help me decide: EBMM 2014 7 strings vs Guthrie's Charvel Sig

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you miss read what I wrote. I never said anything about amps or patches of some sort of modeler, that was your assumption. You also missed the italic "can", which means that there's a compromise on that path, or that it isn't entirely truth... I also stated that, for the sake of light traveling, one seven is better than 2 guitars and my last post says one should buy more guitars just for more guitars, it doesn't really matters what justification one may have, MORE GUITARS justifies every guitar bought, always. Peace out.

I absolutely didn't misread what you wrote. I disagree with what you wrote. Completely.

My response regarding amps was both an analogy and an extrapolation. It was apropos and crystal clear. If mindset doesn't matter, John Mayer should be able to write Slow Dancing with a Mayones 8 string through a Horizon Effects Precision Drive and Peavey Invective - and have it come out written exactly the same.

Music and gear are experiential and subjective. If you think split-coil 7 string pickups (CL, Illuminator?) or piezos sound like a Strat (quack, 2 and 4, chime, etc) or a Tele (twang) that's great for you. They don't sound in the same universe to me and many others. If 8 vs 7 vs 6 string doesn't matter, John Mayer should be able to play Slow Dancing with a Mayones 8 string through a Horizon Effects Precision Drive and Peavey Invective - and have it sound nearly the same.

There is no best for everyone, just for you. I'm not going to debate you any further on opinions.

------------------------------------------------------------

OP, either are good choices like I said before. There are many guitars as good as a Majesty 7 for their different reasons, but I'd argue none better. I haven't played the GG Charvel, but I've played nearly every other model. I'm assuming since your prices had the weird British 'L' thingy, you're in Britain? Why not visit some local stores (Andertons?) and try them first? Maybe you'll love the Majesty but decide on a 6 instead? Or decide it plays different enough than your Jackson that you still want the 7. Maybe it will replace the Jackson and you can get a JP6 and a Majesty 7 lol. Who knows.

As always... YMMV.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizeled

Reaction score
I absolutely didn't misread what you wrote. I disagree with what you wrote. Completely.

My response regarding amps was both an analogy and an extrapolation. It was apropos and crystal clear. If mindset doesn't matter, John Mayer should be able to write Slow Dancing with a Mayones 8 string through a Horizon Effects Precision Drive and Peavey Invective - and have it come out written exactly the same.

Music and gear are experiential and subjective. If you think split-coil 7 string pickups (CL, Illuminator?) or piezos sound like a Strat (quack, 2 and 4, chime, etc) or a Tele (twang) that's great for you. They don't sound in the same universe to me and many others. If 8 vs 7 vs 6 string doesn't matter, John Mayer should be able to play Slow Dancing with a Mayones 8 string through a Horizon Effects Precision Drive and Peavey Invective - and have it sound nearly the same.

There is no best for everyone, just for you. I'm not going to debate you any further on opinions.

------------------------------------------------------------

OP, either are good choices like I said before. There are many guitars as good as a Majesty 7 for their different reasons, but I'd argue none better. I haven't played the GG Charvel, but I've played nearly every other model. I'm assuming since your prices had the weird British 'L' thingy, you're in Britain? Why not visit some local stores (Andertons?) and try them first? Maybe you'll love the Majesty but decide on a 6 instead? Or decide it plays different enough than your Jackson that you still want the 7. Maybe it will replace the Jackson and you can get a JP6 and a Majesty 7 lol. Who knows.

As always... YMMV.

Appreciate the help I really do man, unfortunately with all the coronavirus situation going on, trying out guitars is just not possible, I sold all my guitars I currently had other than the Jackson and my Jackson is currently sitting in Drop E for my band so I'm left with nothing to practice my standard tuning stuff. I think for the lead stuff I wanna play + if I wanna try playing different stuff (I like Mateus Asato a lot) I think the Charvel is the better fit. I feel like I would just be inspired to play more of the same with a Majesty no matter how good the clean sounds it's no strat, it's a shred machine at the end of the day and I think my Jackson's neck is great for all that shreddy/djent stuff already, sadly it's in drop E for the time being. I think as far as growing as a musician the Charvel is the right move. Having always liked the idea of the Majesty and kind of wanting it my gut is telling me I'll regret it.. or you know.. I could be wrong haha

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate the help I really do man, unfortunately with all the coronavirus situation going on, trying out guitars is just not possible, I sold all my guitars I currently had other than the Jackson and my Jackson is currently sitting in Drop E for my band so I'm left with nothing to practice my standard tuning stuff. I think for the lead stuff I wanna play + if I wanna try playing different stuff (I like Mateus Asato a lot) I think the Charvel is the better fit. I feel like I would just be inspired to play more of the same with a Majesty no matter how good the clean sounds it's no strat, it's a shred machine at the end of the day and I think my Jackson's neck is great for all that shreddy/djent stuff already, sadly it's in drop E for the time being. I think as far as growing as a musician the Charvel is the right move. Having always liked the idea of the Majesty and kind of wanting it my gut is telling me I'll regret it.. or you know.. I could be wrong haha

You keep saying Mateus Asato (great choice BTW!)... why not a Suhr HSS model? Choice of many shredders right there. Does everything from classic strat to metal. QC is top-notch as well.

And didn't GG play a Suhr before he got his Charvel sig?

Wizeled

Reaction score
You keep saying Mateus Asato (great choice BTW!)... why not a Suhr HSS model? Choice of many shredders right there. Does everything from classic strat to metal. QC is top-notch as well.

And didn't GG play a Suhr before he got his Charvel sig?

I like Mateus Asato but not as much as I like Marco Sfogli, Takayoshi Ohmura and others haha I've found some similarly priced Suhr's on reverb actually. I've always heard great things about them! I'll have a look, goddammit haha

Musiscience

Reaction score
I'm unsure if this has been mentioned, but for what it's worth, the GG model has produced quite a few lemons. Can't say I ever saw someone dissatisfied with the majesty though.

Other than that it's personal preference, they are very different guitars, made for very different endorsers needs.

Since you mention technical high gain stuff, and clean tones (and consider 6ers), I can only recommend the Ibanez AZ. It can easily do Intervals like tones to funk or jazz with the flick of a switch.

Wizeled

Reaction score
I'm unsure if this has been mentioned, but for what it's worth, the GG model has produced quite a few lemons. Can't say I ever saw someone dissatisfied with the majesty though.

Other than that it's personal preference, they are very different guitars, made for very different endorsers needs.

Since you mention technical high gain stuff, and clean tones (and consider 6ers), I can only recommend the Ibanez AZ. It can easily do Intervals like tones to funk or jazz with the flick of a switch.

The guy selling it is a really cool dude and has told me he has found none of those issues with the guitar, obviously he could be lying about it. I've seen the Ibanez AZ and they seem great too.

JSanta

Reaction score
I've had both guitars, and if I had to choose one, I liked my Charvel GGs better. The only reason I sold them was because I don't play electric guitars much anymore. I thought the neck was perfect on the Charvel, and I liked the trem even more than the one on the EBMM JP, which for me, is saying something.

I've had my JPs than I care to admit, but I kept selling them for some reason. I think it's because I felt like I always need to try and play JP/DT/Prog with the guitar versus having my own voice on the instrument, whereas I felt more like myself on the Charvel. I found them to be very natural and clear voiced, lending themselves into nearly any style you can imagine.

Wizeled

Reaction score
I've had both guitars, and if I had to choose one, I liked my Charvel GGs better. The only reason I sold them was because I don't play electric guitars much anymore. I thought the neck was perfect on the Charvel, and I liked the trem even more than the one on the EBMM JP, which for me, is saying something.

I've had my JPs than I care to admit, but I kept selling them for some reason. I think it's because I felt like I always need to try and play JP/DT/Prog with the guitar versus having my own voice on the instrument, whereas I felt more like myself on the Charvel. I found them to be very natural and clear voiced, lending themselves into nearly any style you can imagine.

This is the exact answer I wanted to hear, thank you so much man and that's exactly how I think I would feel if I had the Majesty, just like you see all over the internet with everyone who has one. Now I'm just wondering if it's justifiable getting the guthrie one over one of those dk24's

JSanta

Reaction score
I have not played any of the DK24s, so unfortunately, I can't help you there. But the GG's I had were monster guitars. The neck was one of the best shapes I have ever played, and the fretwork and setup was perfect out of the box. I really loved them. Heck, even the nitro smelled awesome.

Reaction score

(...)

As always... YMMV.

I never said "Mind Set" doesn't matter and I never said whatever in this thread is best or worst. I shared my point of view, that was all, but ok, you get to keep the bike or whatever...

@Wizeled more guitars is always awesome, either they are similar to those already owned or completely different. If you can, try them both, if not, go with whatever flows in your will. Nothing is forever, so if it doesn't fit this time, sell and get another...?

Wizeled

Reaction score
Well just a quick update, the majesty was sold haha Kinda makes it easier now

Robotechnology

Reaction score
The GG’s single cool simulation switch works GREAT. The pickups on the GG also surpass the SD pickups on a DK24. I actually have the Charvel GG (and the Suhr GG), the Charvel DK24 HH 2PT, and an EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6. The Charvel GG is the most traditional Strat-like sounding of these (using the simulation switch). Neck feel on all of them is different but, the Charvel GG has an oil finish that feels like you’re playing an unfinished neck—which is so good! The DK24 neck shape is 90% close to the Charvel GG and has a satin gel finish that feels almost as good as the GG. The Majesty’s body feels ergonomically more comfortable under you arm. Regarding quality of sound, I’d put the GG and the Majesty about equal to each other but, they are very different. The DK24’s tones are kind of in between them in terms of tone and almost as good. Based on what you been describing, I’d go Charvel GG as my 1st choice. However, you can get 85-90% of the GG experience with a DK24 at less than 50% of its price. The GG’s hand wound pickups are more refined/laid back/rich than the APSII/Full Shred equipped in your face sounding DK24. The Majesty sounds more refined/rich but, still in your face like the DK24. They’ll all great and versatile which make the choice between them more about feel and personality because they all exude quality.

Wizeled

Reaction score
The GG’s single cool simulation switch works GREAT. The pickups on the GG also surpass the SD pickups on a DK24. I actually have the Charvel GG (and the Suhr GG), the Charvel DK24 HH 2PT, and an EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6. The Charvel GG is the most traditional Strat-like sounding of these (using the simulation switch). Neck feel on all of them is different but, the Charvel GG has an oil finish that feels like you’re playing an unfinished neck—which is so good! The DK24 neck shape is 90% close to the Charvel GG and has a satin gel finish that feels almost as good as the GG. The Majesty’s body feels ergonomically more comfortable under you arm. Regarding quality of sound, I’d put the GG and the Majesty about equal to each other but, they are very different. The DK24’s tones are kind of in between them in terms of tone and almost as good. Based on what you been describing, I’d go Charvel GG as my 1st choice. However, you can get 85-90% of the GG experience with a DK24 at less than 50% of its price. The GG’s hand wound pickups are more refined/laid back/rich than the APSII/Full Shred equipped in your face sounding DK24. The Majesty sounds more refined/rich sound but, still in your face than the DK24. There’ll all great and versatile which make the choice between them more about feel and personality because they all exude quality.

Thank you for your reply man, the Majesty has been sold and I was finding the GG more and more appealing. As for the DK24's I'm sure they are great guitars for the money but having had a Jackson PRO and now the USA model and it's night and day difference. The premium feel I think is worth it. As for this GG in question, the pickups are not the original ones unfortunately, the dude replaced them for SD customs and the guitar has been refinished which looks kinda cool actually.
oqrbfkbkpujr8qfdkivk.jpg
b3yjd9setyqlw23iyyba.jpg

Wizeled

Reaction score
Hopefully it’s severely discounted if it’s been refinished and gutted of original pups.

It really isn't, it's 2000£ but its mint, other GG Charvels that I've seen are in worse condition and more expensive.

JSanta

Reaction score
It really isn't, it's 2000£ but its mint, other GG Charvels that I've seen are in worse condition and more expensive.

That is a crazy price. It would probably be cheaper to import one from the States. I wouldn't pay more than half that amount for the guitar.

I paid $2100 USD new for mine after talking to the shop.

xzacx

Reaction score
I thought the neck was perfect on the Charvel, and I liked the trem even more than the one on the EBMM JP, which for me, is saying something.

The neck really is phenomenal—probably my favorite bolt-on neck ever that wasn’t a Tyler. I agree on the trem too. I’d prefer a proper Floyd to either, but I found the Govan’s trem held tune better, and the Tremol No was nice to have.

Wizeled

Reaction score

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't pay that much for a used and modified GG, even though it does look great. I'd see if you can talk him down on the price.

bzhang9

Reaction score
used EBMM is less likely to depreciate if at all, a JP 15 looks like a similar but better version of that GG

')