Help me decide! HB 8 vs Jackson 7

LaurensG

Reaction score
Hi everyone, once again, i need some help deciding.

So, recently i posted a thread asking for help to decide for my first 7 string..
i chose the new 2013 JS22-7 , but i cant order it yet, so im still waiting. :scratch:

now, some of the bands i listen to use 8-strings, F# and stuff.. and i'd like to do that too... :rolleyes:

so before ordering anything, i want to ask others for their opinions, ..
Should i get a Harley Benton R-458 (8-string) instead,
Or stick with the JS22-7 and then eventually use an 8-string gauge set to tune it down?

Im familiar with jacksons and love them,
The reason im not sure is because Harley Benton has a quite bad rep, and im not sure how easy it will be to adapt to two extra strings, and the wide neck. (can i play normal 6 string stuff easily on it too, without the two strings getting in the way too much? and also, do you think the thick 8-string set will fit through the 7-string holes & nut?)

No other guitars please, except if they are as cheap as these two :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
I'd say to go with the 8 string. More frequency range, it's designed to accept the larger strings, and you can go to a lower pitch without hafving to tune down. The 7 string can be made to accept larger string gauges, but it's a light modding affair in some cases.

As far as playing it, the 2 strings throw your eyes off more than anything. You'll have to adjust from going from the lowest 2 strings to play this or that note to where you're playing the 3rd and 4th string. It's not much, kind of like a week-2 week transitional period.

As far as Jackson, I'm a die-hard fan and always will be, but I've heard some very good and very bad things about the 7 string models.

I'd also recommend looking for some used gear. I picked up my 7620 for 380 and my Wolfgang for 400 shipped. These are VERY high quality guitars that I acquired for the price of a low end guitar.

LaurensG

Reaction score
I'd say to go with the 8 string. More frequency range, it's designed to accept the larger strings, and you can go to a lower pitch without hafving to tune down. The 7 string can be made to accept larger string gauges, but it's a light modding affair in some cases.

As far as playing it, the 2 strings throw your eyes off more than anything. You'll have to adjust from going from the lowest 2 strings to play this or that note to where you're playing the 3rd and 4th string. It's not much, kind of like a week-2 week transitional period.

As far as Jackson, I'm a die-hard fan and always will be, but I've heard some very good and very bad things about the 7 string models.

I'd also recommend looking for some used gear. I picked up my 7620 for 380 and my Wolfgang for 400 shipped. These are VERY high quality guitars that I acquired for the price of a low end guitar.

about used gear - where i live its quite hard to find 7 or 8 strings, used, for a good price.. & what you said is true, but Harley benton has a really bad reputation in general.. and as far as stock pickups, jackson's are better, right?

hahah, i feel like pulling my hair out cause i really dont know what to do :lol:

Thanks a lot for the answer by the way!! :metal: