Help me decide on a new amp.

• Thread starter jwiltz2072
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
Currently I have a Mesa Mark IV and I am looking for a second amp to compliment it. Looking for something in the 50 watt range with a good/decent clean and a dirty channel that can go up into hard rock/metal levels of gain. I would prefer an effects loop. I don't mind if the dirty channel needs to be boosted to get into modern metal territory as long as it can do the hard rock stuff without one.

So far the amps I amp looking at are:
Mesa Single Rect (which I owned one and not sure if I gave it a fair shake)
VHT 50CL (never have even seen one in person but I like that people say they are pretty tight which is definately a plus)
Marshall JVM205H (I have tried one but not sure of the quality/durability)
PRS Archon 50 (I like the great clean reviews and description of a tighter rectifier type tone)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. And yes, I had a 5150 III 50 watt and no, I don't want another one lol.

Would like to keep the price at about 1k used, maybe a little more if I have to.

Thanks!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Out of the options you picked.... I'd probably want to try the JVM. But, my :2c: is that you already have an amp that nails the versatility thing, so for a second amp, if I was in your position, I'd be looking for something that does something the Mark doesn't, and does that one thing well. "The Marshall Sound" is something that, IMO, a Mark doesn't really do. So the JVM would be filling a space that's otherwise unoccupied already. The VHT, from what I understand is closer to the Mark in terms of being a dry/tight kind of gain, whereas a Recto might also be a good choice to give you the more deep/ballsy/loose gain character instead. PRS I have no experience with. My recommendation would be to aim for whatever is the farthest from the Mark you can get. But that's just me.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Single recto is a great idea. Might also consider a 6505+, though I don't think they make a 50w other than the 112 combo, which sounds good but needs mods to have a good effects loop.

For something VERY different from your Mesa though, you might consider an ENGL Fireball 60.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a decent tone that offers variety against your Mesa, I'd recommend something with a British voicing. An integral part of my tone the past 5-6 years has been the combination of Mesa and Marshall tones.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IMO, I'd do a Dual over a Single. The Single may be lower wattage, but IMO seemed quite a bit more volume sensitive than a Dual - it DID darken up nicely as you wound it up, but even then with the volume halfway up on the channel and the master (the sweet spot, for me, for lead sounds), it was fucking LOUD. :lol:

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I would go single recto out of those options, for sure. I think the VHT is really awesome, but has some overlap with the Mark IV. I was also not a fan of the 5153, but I do have a 5152 and a 5150 212 combo, both of which complement my Mark IV nicely.

For something a bit lower wattage, I recently got a PRS MT15, and its REALLY damn awesome! Does not sound like a small amp. Runs on 6l6s, so has a nice, big low end like the bigger amps, and can easily be loud enough for a drummer.

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions/opinions. I think I am leaning towards the Single Recto or JVM because I have actually played those 2 and kind of know what to expect but keep the suggestions coming.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the fx loop on the single recto isn't series, so you'll need to modify it if you want your pedals to work.

The fx loop on those Archons is garbage.

I recommend a reborn recto. It has a 50w option.

I would also look into the MT15. Not a 50w, but everyone says it sounds like one.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The VHT will be overall similar to the Mark as far as being fairly mid-heavy, dry, and tight. I'd try out the JVM out of those listed since it will have the British voicing that will be very different from the Mesa Mark or Rectifier.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
50W DSL (the og one, cant speak to the H line) and a laney AOR if you can find one.

I was going to write this! As soon as I read the OP I thought you want a Marshall! I’ve owned the JVM a couple of times and it’s very cool, but the DSL (for the price) is a killer amp! I have a DSL100H and it’s all Marshall all day long. While the JVM IS Marshall, there’s also something quite Mesa/Un-Marshall about that amp (IMO).

VHT/Fryette’s are amazing, but I personally think the Mesa Mark is actually tighter (if only by a hair).

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Friedman BE-50 Deluxe.

Oops. Didn’t see budget. :)

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Pretty much the full spectrum is: Mark - Marshall - 5150

')