Help me decide on a new amp.

• Thread starter jwiltz2072
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If the Fender is mostly there for a clean option, I think most other brands end up hitting something close enough to fender-esque cleans that you wouldn't need specifically a fender amp to round out your available tones. :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Fender is mostly there for a clean option, I think most other brands end up hitting something close enough to fender-esque cleans that you wouldn't need specifically a fender amp to round out your available tones. :2c:

But fender is readily available and mostly affordable.

Everyone should try a blues jr into a 412 cranked at least once.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
SSO for the past couple months has convinced me I need a Marshall DSL and a Mesa Mark iii. Let's see what reasonably priced 20 year old amp comes next!

I have a DSL and should have a Mark III coming at the end of the month! So I whole heartedly agree!

StewRacing

Reaction score
I feel like I am in the same position as far collecting amps that give me the following tones: Fender Clean for a Nirvana tone with pedals, Vintage Marshall for the Ghost tone and a high gain option like a Rockerverb. I have been looking at lower wattage options for good at home studio. I would go the modeling route, but I like to use feedback which modeling doesn't really do. So I am open to suggestions. The Mark V would get me close and then add a Marshall or Orange for the British tone.

I think the Rockerverb 50 is a swiss army knife for you as well as me. Curious to what others think.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Try a supersonic and orange's dirt pedal would probably do all that.

More people need to try supersonics.

StewRacing

Reaction score
I actually thought about the Supersonic 22 Head and the Jim Root Terror head with a Radial Headbone Switcher into a 2x12 cabinet.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
They dont make the 60's anymore :(

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
So after reading all of this you guys have me leading towards the old school Marshall JCM 2000 dsl. My concerns with it are, can I run an EQ in the effects loop to just use as a volume boost? I am also leaning Rectifier because it is different enough from the Mark and has the solo boost feature. My concern is that I am used to the tightness of the Mark IV so I may find the Rectifier lacking.

Cant find many good videos of the OG DSL but showing what I am looking for.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
So after reading all of this you guys have me leading towards the old school Marshall JCM 2000 dsl. My concerns with it are, can I run an EQ in the effects loop to just use as a volume boost? I am also leaning Rectifier because it is different enough from the Mark and has the solo boost feature. My concern is that I am used to the tightness of the Mark IV so I may find the Rectifier lacking.

Cant find many good videos of the OG DSL but showing what I am looking for.
If you can find a 2 channel Recto, it’s probably tight enough. They’re certainly tight enough with a boost. The two amps pair nicely together. They are totally different gain structures but compliment each other very well.
I recently played a few rehearsal sets through a JCM2000. It was a bit thin sounding, and if I tried to bring in bass, the low end flubbed out. It was cool for playing Van Halen type riffs, but it was very lack luster for my style of melo-tech whatever you’d call it metal. I do suspect that aging power tubes played a role though. I had to push that amp, quite a bit more than my own amps, to keep up with my drummer, so it probably would sound better with fresh glass.

Latest posts

')