Help me decide which monitors I get

slenderman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just recently acquired some cash so I can finally buy monitors, im on a 200-300 budget (yeah it sucks, but I just started school again so no time for a job, plus I have to start saving for my band to buy a van for our summer tour)

Currently, I found a deal at musician friend which is: Studiophile BX5a Deluxe Active Monitors for 200 (pair) I don't know too much about these but seems as it's a good deal. If anyone can help me find something better, or let me know if these are appropriate I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How set are you on monitors? Would you be willing to go the headphone route? While $200 - $300 is pretty much the bare minimum for decent, not good, monitors it's more than enough for a great set of headphones. Just kinda putting it out there. :)

I had a set of M-Audio BX5s. They were actually pretty nice. Certainly far from professional, but not too bad. I thought they were every bit as good, to my ears at least, as my friend's CX8s at about half the cost.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I have the bx5A set, and think they are pretty good. For the price they are pretty good speakers. Obviously not the most professional pair, but surely not crappy by any means.

richardgstudios

Metal Head
Reaction score
Hey man! can you tell me more about KRK's? I found a pair of KRK rockit 5's with stands for 250 n mint condition.

BTW Im mixing mostly metal

That's what im using mine for man, they do the job! I would jump on that deal!! The monitors IMO are the best accurate and flat studio monitors in there price range. I would upgrade to the Yamaha HS80 when funds are available to do so, hope this helps!

fleshwoodsteel

Reaction score
I've got a pair of the rokit 6s and love them. But, would my mixes be better with a pair of fantastic flat closed back headphones? Who's to say. I often have to mix with headphones (and track with them almost exclusively) because of neighbors, wife, etc, and I'd say it's debatable which is better, good headphones or cheap monitors. Of course, if you don't like mixing with headphones, then the KRKs are a great deal indeed.

')