Help Me Design my ZOMBIE GUITAR!!! (56k = Braaaaiiiiins)

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Get some acid to eat away some of (or a lot of) the body wood, to give it that "zombie" look.

Blood has been done, relic is WAY over done, no one has did acid yet! No one is going to think "zombie" unless big chunks are missing, and it just looks like death.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
scrratch the pick guard put dirt finger prints whatever .
then lacquer it with matte lacquer. and if you want ribs in take it to a tattoo shop that does good black and grey portraits have them paint the guitar, trust me tattoo artist's are badass for that kinda stuff, logos
band covers, skateboards even. guy in my town designed some "ZeRo" boards. ive seen portraits of chuck norris the size of a dime photorealistic. find a good tattoo guy, or have them draw it(like 50 bucks) then take it to a decal shop or something.:yesway:

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Get some acid to eat away some of (or a lot of) the body wood, to give it that "zombie" look.

Blood has been done, relic is WAY over done, no one has did acid yet! No one is going to think "zombie" unless big chunks are missing, and it just looks like death.

Troll post?

asilayamazing

Reaction score
also at the risk of sounding girly. do whatever blood on the tuners or whatever with whatever then use nail polish lacquer(clear coat Cheap effective!) and itll will last forever as long as your not dumping acetone on your guitar.:yesway: you can also do this to chrome plated brass rings and such and it wont wear down.:yesway:

EpicFlail

Reaction score
I know you said you didn't want to cut into the wood, but some teeth marks or a chunk missing from the headstock would go great with the concept IMO. That or dragging it across the pavement to really tear it up.....well, maybe not the latter. :lol:

Just throwing it out there: I got some cool blood spatter effects with spray paint.

This is using a can of Signal Red Belton Molotow variable pressure spray paint with a nozzle tip (from my tagging days).
IMG00564-20110812-0023.jpg

And this is spraying a pool of paint in the cap and slinging it on a piece of wood. Please forgive the blatant Dead Island hanging man ripoff. I was young(er) and wanted to be "defiant".
IMG00563-20110812-0001.jpg

Also, some deep claw marks on the body might add some character. You have a screwdriver, don't you? Haha. But seriously, I love this idea. Zombiecaster!

EDIT: You could replace the inlays with .22 shell casings.

Reaction score
Hmm, what if you put a bit of peanut butter on the guitar and get a dog to go at it? Get the dog all excited and jumpy first so he doesn't lick it but actually bites the body.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Or you good stick it in an animal trap. Just be careful pulling it back open. Blood splatter is a must, bite marks are a good touch, and I would say you need a set of evil zombie eyes on there somewhere.

I really want to play Left 4 Dead 2 and Resident Evil 4/5 now.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
It's tough because I need to make some wounds but I don't want to mess with the body since I'm used to playing LP style guitars, big dense things with fat tone so taking out wood wouldn't be productive. :p But it does need some gashes and guts and stuff...

EPICFLAIL: No way man you tagged?! There's some tagging LEGENDS up here in VanCity. What made you quit? Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do the blood splatters justic... that part HAS to look really professional.

My biggest issue right now is making it look convincingly like a zombie. Some people noted it doesn't look that much like a zombie guitar right now, someone even said it looks more like a First Aid guitar (haha) and he's harsh but right. Still gotta find a way to make it look like a REAL ZOMBIE.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, we're getting closer... keep 'em coming!

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Most zombies are missing things like limbs, skin, eyes etc. To keep the guitar usable you're limited to what you can remove from it. Removing paint and adding blood and or torn flesh could work. There was a previous post in this thread about puffy paint used for effect. It could be used to simulate brain matter with the right color. Loose shredded skin hanging off the guitar body and or neck could look nasty. Maybe use leather from a hobby shop to simulate this look. Zombies aren't fashion models. You could possibly even use some modeling clay in a flesh and or muscle color and apply it to parts of the guitar but I don't know if it would or could be fixed to the surface of the guitar.

Good luck,

Jeff

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Most zombies are missing things like limbs, skin, eyes etc. To keep the guitar usable you're limited to what you can remove from it. Removing paint and adding blood and or torn flesh could work. There was a previous post in this thread about puffy paint used for effect. It could be used to simulate brain matter with the right color. Loose shredded skin hanging off the guitar body and or neck could look nasty. Maybe use leather from a hobby shop to simulate this look. Zombies aren't fashion models. You could possibly even use some modeling clay in a flesh and or muscle color and apply it to parts of the guitar but I don't know if it would or could be fixed to the surface of the guitar.

Good luck,

Jeff

Dude, that's a killer idea! If I could find some sort of moulding clay and find a way to stick it to the guitar easily and permanently (Without affecting sustain or resonance) then making some bones stick out would be AWESOME!!! Anyone have any feedback on my options for this and also how it would affect tone/sustain?

asilayamazing

Reaction score

Good luck,

Jeff
sand the paint down n wood glue. or gorilla glue if you never want it off lol, so many options here clay then attach then paint so many things you could do, if only i had a guitar i DIDNT care about lol

that guitar with the steam valves looks like its a v body from the "otherworld" of SILENT HILL!!!!:hbang:

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Oh i have a good idea... if you can get fancy with a router, or even a chisel/files/sandpaper....

shape the contour of the body to have a "bite" mark. paint the teeth and stuff, and you can have blood dripping from the teeth...

jl-austin

Reaction score
I am not sure why people thought my acid was a troll post, all well, I shall offer more idea's.

Another idea would be to route out the finger board at certain points, and make it look decayed flesh (not pretty routes), route it down to the truss rod (so you can see the truss rod under the finger board. Then get some clear epoxy to fill in the routes, so it would look decayed from a distance.

If done right, it could resemble exposed bones that you typically see with zombies.

I still say you are going to need to route out the guitar as well (acid would be the best effect). If you are afraid of loosing wood, get a really dense wood strat replacement body from Warmoth. Like, bubinga, padouk (padouk would be really cool because it has a reddish tint). You could leave the routed area's unpainted, and paint the rest of it (the padouk would then look like reddish flesh).

The pick guard would have to be ripped to shreds as well, Like it is just barely hanging on. The pickups, tear part of the covers so you could see underneath them (be able to see the actual coils at spots).

Don't just splatter some red paint on it and call it a zombie, LOL! Do it right!

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure why people thought my acid was a troll post, all well, I shall offer more idea's.

I still say you are going to need to route out the guitar as well (acid would be the best effect).

Let me try this one more time. I dont think you were trolling, I tried to explain its not feasible in any means to do so. I do like your other ideas, however acid just isnt happening.

NO ACID YOU CAN BUY WILL CAUSE WOOD TO BURN, ANY ACID YOU CAN GET THAT WILL EAT AWAY WOOD MUST COME FROM A LICENSED FACILITY ONLY TO BE USED BY A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL TO USE FOR EXPLICIT USAGE (I.E. ENGINE BLOCK CLEANERS THAT USE ACID).

For example, battery acid is probably the strongest you can commercially purchase... battery acid will do NOTHING to wood. At most it will eat holes in your shirt.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Don't worry. No acid will be used in the making of this guitar. I'm hoping to whip up another mock up or two in the next couple of days, just to experiment more and look at other options. Will try to incorporate some of these ideas. Thanks guys!

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Well after tossing things around in my head for a bit I'm asking for some more feedback on these ideas:

Clear pickguard: I could then paint the cavity red and make that look like insides of a human being. Or I could just go with no pickguard, but I'd rather not have to direct-mount the pickups.

Red LED's: Might be cool to stick an LED or two inside the guitar at a set on/off speed to make it look like a beating heart? Or maybe just put them in normally just to add some creepy lighting to it. Would work really well together with the clear pickguard idea. Only problem being needing to remove some wood for a battery cavity.

Green-stained neck: Maybe staining the neck a "zombie green" color would be a possible idea. Stew Mac sells green stain for wood that might work really well!! I could also stain bits of the body wood if I sand the paint down.

Latest posts

')