Help me get a good sitting snare and toms please. My best mix so far.

• Thread starter Larcher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
It sounds good but the cymbals are really loud and the snare gets buried under them a lot.
In the solo part for example you "feel" the snare more than you can actually hear it, if that makes any sense
The toms probably just need a little eq dip in the low-mids to make them sound a bit less muddy

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
alright I'll turn the cymbals down a bit and eq the toms! Thanks dude :)

Anyone else?

Dash

Reaction score
Nice mix brah, I like these kind of mixes for deathcore. Kind of raw-ish, not too sterile. I think the tone kills too, pretty damn heavy. I think the cymbals are still pretty loud. You might want to bring the snare up just a bit. Your toms are very loud which makes your snare sound even smaller. :hbang: Hope I helped a bit.

Raayl

Reaction score
the guitar is just...idk, immaculate as fuck. its so god damn good.

the snare, kick, and tom mix is excellent. honestly i am trying to find something wrong with it but it just sounds really good to me.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks bro! I find the tone has a bit too much of gain but, they wanted it as muddy as possible while it being audible. oh well haha!

ara_

Reaction score
I really like the sound, but the cymbals are still a bit loud imo!
Could you give some details about the guitar sound? Amp and guitars used? What kind of post processing?

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
sure! I used the axefx2 with the PVH6160 amp and recto 4x12 cab(with uac 87 mic) with the german 4x12(with cond 2141 mic) and as for post processing int he DAW I gave a boost around 200hz, high pass at 125hz-ish and lowpass at 12k and a tiny boost around 4k. also used a compressor on the guitar bus

edit: amp settings were something like: drive 6, bass 5, mid 4.75, treb between 5 and 7, pres around 6 or 8, depth 4. boost, saturation and that other switch next to saturation was on. supply sag was at 0.01 and dynamics 50%

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
bump for second version (and maybe final version of the mix)

for comparison to the first one.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
little bump. I am pleased with my toms and snare now. However I feel that there is some frequency fighting and I'm not sure how to go about getting this resolved. Is it just simple as taking frequencies away from one instrument and boosting it in anothers?

ara_

Reaction score
I think this sounds really great. The genre isn't my cup of tea, but I think this sound really professional!
One tiny thing: The lowpass filter fade thing around 1:30 fades away a little too slowly for my taste, I think it would sound better if it started to fade later, but faster. That's obviously just my opinion :)

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
I totally know what you're saying.

I suggested to the band to just retrack the drums in that part and just have a little roll of some kind with no filter to give it this like.. i dunno, better flow? They prefered how it currently is. Not gonna argue when they pay me :p

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
sounds pretty good, I think the cymbals could go down quite a bit more and bring up the snare, if you're having trouble getting the snare to cut through even though you boost it try parallel compressing it really hard, always helps me to get more attack from it.

only thing really bothering me with this mix, where is the bass?! only hearing bass on those bassdrops, or well I'm hearing the clacky bass but I'd like more low end from it

stewartsdecay

Reaction score
some of the cymbals have a bit of harshness to them. the toms could break through the mix a bit more. for toms the attack is around 1.5k to 3.5k. the blast beat on the snare could be given a bit more body. overall its all pretty solid.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
some of the cymbals have a bit of harshness to them. the toms could break through the mix a bit more. for toms the attack is around 1.5k to 3.5k. the blast beat on the snare could be given a bit more body. overall its all pretty solid.

thanks man I'll work on those points

')