Help me get out of a really bad habit... (reccommend me some books!)

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't done much reading recently (the last 4 years or so :ugh::noway:) and i'm beginning to miss it.

Unfortunately, i am a very very visual person, and as a result i am one of those very stupid people who does judge a book by it's cover... Needless to say, i'm positive this has turned me away from a great many good books, but it seems that i can't really help myself. Even when i pick up a book and read the blurb, if i am not taken in by the art then it's lost me.

So, i need some recommendations from you guys :)

I'm really big into some fantasy (though i can't really say what type :nuts:) the Tolkien books i always loved, anything written by Sara Douglas, and older style novels like H.G.Wells science fiction and even older short stories like Edgar Allen Poe's writing. Not so big on stuff like Twilight (even the books) or Stephen Kings writing. Post-apocalypse style stuff is good, and just generally things with a bit of an interesting element to them.

Go!

EDIT: I also love Noddy. :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh shit, i haven't read that yet!

I keep meaning to, and i saw the old movie, but never got around to reading them :nuts: Thanks :D

gdbjr21

Reaction score
Yeah its a great book. Ive read it at least 5 times, really complex. And the rest of the original series is good as well; the new series of books are OK but not as good as the original.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i am very partial to the work of Daniel Baldaci. It is mostly detective / police / investigation / big scret type stuff.

I think Clint eastwood made a film based on one of his book (absolute powers)

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Then read the shit out of Down and Out in Paris and London already. It's short, it's a good intense quick read. Cheap book, easy to find.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I like Vallerie Bertinelli's autobiography "Losing It." If you're an EVH fan, there is lots of little-known info and rare photos.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
If you like visuals, you should try reading The Watchmen graphic novel

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
read a scanner darkly

if you like horror read ; edward lee, richard laymon, guiliermo del toros book is rad, dean koonts, and poppy z brite.

i work in a bookstore =]]

t3sser4ct

Reaction score
^ Oh yes, Orwell too. I LOVE Brave New World.
Brave New World was written by Huxley, not Orwell. 1984 was pretty good, though.

I'd recommend getting a collection of HP Lovecraft's stories, or reading them on Wikisource. You can't beat the Cthulhu Mythos!

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
For fantasy, Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melnibone" and "The Swords Trilogy" will make you happy.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Get one of those necronomicon's from HP Lovecraft, should keep you busy for quite some time that.

And weaveworld from clive barker :wub:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Brave New World was written by Huxley, not Orwell. 1984 was pretty good, though.

I'd recommend getting a collection of HP Lovecraft's stories, or reading them on Wikisource. You can't beat the Cthulhu Mythos!

Motherfucker, i hate it when you get shit like that wrong :ugh: Love both of them, Aldous Huxley and George Orwell. Read 1984 a little while ago, and it was pretty awesome too :nuts:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll have a look dude, cheers :) I'm going down when i get paid to pick up a few books (the ones i mentioned as a starter, then some H P Lovecraft too :metal: and whatever else i can afford)

Latest posts

')