Help me pick my new custom 8!!!! YARR!

HexaneLake

Reaction score
Hello my fellow chugg-mcguggers, this is Smitty. I am looking to get a new custom built 8 string guitar within the next few years, and was hoping someone could shed some light on some lesser known (but badass) luthiers, or any more common custom builder that you really like. Dont really mind the price as long as its not insanely ridiculous. Just trying to gather some ideas. I've already checked out Strandberg Guitarworks (whom I am considering), VIK, ........., and Rick Toone. Whatcha got??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The builder in question has requested to not have anything to do with this site. Let's leave it at that. :yesway:

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Theres siggery guitars, daemoness guitars, feline guitars - they're a few UK builders
Sherman guitar, conklin guitars, Kxk and BRJ - Some US ones
Roter, Ran....hmmm oops i should probably know some more from the EU

For the most part these guys are very reasonably priced, some like BRJ and Daemoness are a little more expensive but honestly from looking at their work and from their reputation as well its to be expected. Personally i've been in contact now with Siggery guitars about getting an 8 string built as well and Marty the guy who owns and is the namesake is an absolute legend to deal with, a real honest nice guy and from what i've seen so far and from what people have said on here a damn impressive builder too. Definitely worth a check :)

Best of luck dude

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
There are many quality makers out there. I'm endorsed by Jaden Rose guitars, who basically makes all my 8-strings (with a couple fanned frets on their way as we speak). Owning a Strandberg I can attest to the fantastic concept and implementation as well, and Rob at KxK does a fantastic job as well, and I'm just scratching the surface here. :)

Maybe an idea of what specs you have in mind would help us suggest a maker to you in more oriented fashion?

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
rick toone, is IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH, if he was the aforementioned person that is not to be mentioned, i'm very sorry

but my 0.02 is Oni, or siggery, or your choice

hehe

le douche

thatguy5557123

Reaction score
I would second strictly 7, I talked to Jim and he was always super nice and prompt. I made it very clear I would not have the money to make a purchases any time soon and he still offered to let me call and talk with him when he got home after work hours. I didn't want to waste his time and so I told him I would call when I had the money but with service like that he has secured my purchase when I have the money. My suggestion would be spec out what you want then go to strictly7.com and fill out a quote, weather you go with them or not Jim will help you out and get you a quote most likely within the week.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Siggery look nice, I'm thinking of picking one up myself. ViK are awesome.I had the honour of trying out Nolly's Duality 7 recently and it is amazing.

HexaneLake

Reaction score
Awesome thanks everyone. I checked out all the reccomendations and I really liked RAN and Conklin's selection. Daemoness and VIK to keep poking at the back of my head. Altho I was pretty set on Ola Strangberg's work, I think I might go in a different direction. The super-strat style 8 body - I LIKEY. As for other specifications I dont really have any, pretty open minded and I love everything. I do like the sharp look of BRJ's Hesperian. Might try and get a quote from him. MOAR RESEARCH!!

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Apparently Strandbergs are very light and comfortable which is always nice with a bigger instrument like an 8 string.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
I'd have to suggest Don Bell from Venus, TX. He made our other guitarist's Custom SG 7 String called the AG7. He's also made guitars for big names, like Steve Stevens.

Bell Custom Guitars

I'm thinking about getting one made in the future. He's quite affordable too.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
im getting my strictly 7 8 string neckthru 28 5/6 scale tomorrow, so ill be able to atest to that tommorow