Help me Spend my Money.

Which One?

• Total voters

Mitochondria

Reaction score
So here is the deal.

My situation Currently:
I am in a position to purchase a quality custom guitar. I have enough for a sizable deposit right now. I have a great guitar that I just recieved from Marty Siggery that absolutely nails 99.9% of what i always wanted in a instrument. With that said I feel like i am missing one more piece of my gear puzzle. My old Marshalls hit the "thats the sound" for me, my pedals are just what i need, my cab is amazing, etc... But i am left wanting THE guitar, and honestly with the caliber of small custom shops available I feel the time is now to buy my last seven.

I play a ton of different kinds of metal (BLS, Sleep, Pelican, Meshuggah, DTB, Buckethead, Gilbert/Via/Satch) as well as classic rock. I'm all over the place.

What I have done up to this point:
-I have contacted and seriously thought of purchasing another Siggery.
Advantages= (high specs, guitar within a year, realitivly low cost, we are in the same ball park of what i want out of a guitar, and Marty is a great guy)

-Contacted Dylan at Daemoness
Advantages= (More :hbang: vibe, Stupid high quality reputation, Amazing finishes, Great value, Piece of art, Ect)

Contacted Vik
Advantages= (More Vintage Vibe, Attention to detail, Great value, Etc)

Wait times for both of the latter builders to my knowledge is ~2 yrs. That is honestly fine by me.

What i need guidance with:
- General recommendations
- I plan on paying in full before the deadline with the Vik or Daemoness (safeness?)
-Maybe KxK, Jackson, Someone else?

Considerations
-My fav guitars ever are Les Pauls, a Jackson SL2H i had, and Obliviously my Siggery which is a pretty blatant BM copy.

Thanks Guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I'd go with a Vik, but that's just me personally. Chambered mahogany body, maple mahogany neck, some sort of maple top. Ebony fretboard, fanned frets.
Do it, get my dream guitar. :lol:

adnecs

Reaction score
I went for Daemoness. All your pros apply + I really wanted a guitar created not just by a great luthier but also a very talented artist :) + positive gut feeling

troyguitar

Reaction score
Most people here have never touched any of those.

Personally I'm unwilling to drop $2k+ on a guitar from a brand I've never tried.

Out of your list, I've only played Jacksons and they are nice but not terribly 'custom' any more compared to those other guys you are looking at - plus you're looking at 5 years to get a CS Jackson unless your username is bulb.

KxK seems like the best compromise between specs, quality, price, time, and service - but again I have never touched one.

Mitochondria

Reaction score
Personally I'm unwilling to drop $2k+ on a guitar from a brand I've never tried.

I knew this would come up and it is sound advice, but i live in the middle of nowhere. (Nearest guitar center is 4 hours away) A nice guitar up here is next to impossible to come by let alone a Daemoness or Vik. That is why the fine folks who share their opinions on ss.org are so valuable. :hug:

Hail Mary: Anyone with a VIK, Daemones, or KxK in Minnesota? :wavey:

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
:lol: About ten people on this forum can actually recommend Daemoness or Vik. Everything in this thread is going to be here say.

I'd recommend checking out KxK, never tried them but they get a ton of praise on here. Mayones also seems to be stepping up their game.

Mitochondria

Reaction score
Mayones also seems to be stepping up their game.

To be honest i just don't see myself as a Mayones or even a Skervesen guy :shrug:

Also, I realize that there are not alot of these guitars floating around and a select few high profile members would have to chime in to debate the two guitars. I get that.

At the same time i have bought every guitar i have owned off of someone else's opinion. However sad, that is my reality.:lol:

So in other words, if you have never played one, what have you seen/heard/know that could help make my decision a better educated one. Chances are, with the amount of money and builders i am looking at, a good guitar will be had.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
It seems like you're aiming high in terms of brands. IMO, at this point you should figure out what you need to have in your dream guitar. Then email the various makers and get their feed back.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, depends on what you want in your dream guitar. I have a Jackson custom in queue for a year now with probably another year or possibly more wait, but I've always wanted a custom Jackson Kelly. When I went to order I really wanted a Walnut Burl top to match my BC Rich Warlock but unfortunately they said they just won't do it so I opted for Spalted Maple, which I also love so I'm not crying about it.

But, if I wanted a specific top, like mentioned or something like Buckeye Burl you just aren't going to get it with Jackson, at least not without being a known artist and having a name I'd guess.

Depends on what you want exactly. Most of the smaller luthiers will do just about anything so it's a good choice. Out of what you listed, and having never tried one, I'd say Daemoness because every guitar someone here has gotten has *looked* absolutely amazing and I haven't seen any real complaints to be honest.

Rev.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
You could be waiting 2 - 2 1/2 years for a Vik or Daemoness so if I were you I would throw down a deposit on either(or both) and in the meantime look for a guitar that you can get sooner like a hi-end production model or from the FS section.

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
I can't speak for VIK yet. But I did have a Daemoness. It was the most beautiful work of art I've ever played. And it did play very well. If I could have afforded to, I'd have kept it. But someone on here wanted to buy it, I wasn't that attached to it, and it didn't work for the tuning I prefer to use. So I let it go.

And I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it wasn't perfect... Although it wasn't too far from it. But being across the ocean from Dylan made it kinda hard to do anything about it after I received it. He did try though. And communication was nothing short of excellent. So I can say he's a good guy. I have no ill will towards him.

I've had enough troubles with guitars from luthiers that have nothing but praise that I'm probably not going to order anymore from anyone I haven't had experience with. And thus, I will stay with KxK. I have 4 with another in process. And hopefully more when I get the money. The KxKs just "work" for me.

And even though I've not had a CS Jackson, the USA Jackson I had was awesome. So I'd have no reservations ordering a custom from them either.

So I guess my advice would be to stick with what you know you like. Especially if what you already have is that close to being perfect. Unless you just want try something new. You may find something even better than what you were hoping for.

Mitochondria

Reaction score
Thanks EOT. That gives me alot to think about. I know what I would have with a siggery, which is definitely a new level over any production guitar I have played. Yet at the same time I am curious to see if there is a next level of guitars that I can't really fathom with out playing/ owning.

If I got a Vik I would get the production S7. That is a perfect guitar in my opinion. Maybe a different color but everything else is spot on.

If I got a daemoness it would be extravagant. If I chose that I will narrow it down later. It would be a cimerian shape forsure.

The siggery would be custom design. Very Tele like...

If I got a Jackson it would be a SL2H-7. Solid color. Hardtail.

KxK... I have no clue. Btw, before I bug them, what is there approximate wait time? Does anyone know?

Thanks guys, this is helping quite a bit.

Kharem

Reaction score
I'm a povo uni student so haven't owned or played any of these but I've been completely blown away by some of the Daemoness' posted on here, and if it were a guitar for myself I would most definitely be a Daemoness, but everyone has different tastes so whatever you like the idea of most, see if you can try some of them out.