Help me understand scale length and loose strings.

• Thread starter Shenaniganizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
I was at Guitar Center today, and tried two sevens (the only ones they had in stock): Schecter C7 Hellraiser, and some Ibanez 45623453245324532462346RG. :squint: It was a basic model, I believe. Whoever put the strings on that guitar effed it up bad, though, so I won't bother recalling my experience with it.

Now, I know that Guitar Center sucks, and 99% of their guitars will play like shit, because there's a tiny chance of even feeling a decent setup. Or, at least, that's how it is at mine. So, this may be unfair judgement, but nonetheless, it got me thinking. Anywaaaaay,

The C7 was nice. I liked the semi-thick neck (it isn't as massive as you guys make it sound.. baseball bat? No. :nuts:) and it just felt nice. They have a 26.5" scale, right? I dug that. After playing bass in my friend's band, I feel like I can take on any scale. I went from 24 3/4" to.. what's the standard bass scale, 32"? 34"? It was insane to get used to it. But, I liked the guitar, took me a few minutes to adjust to having the extra string, but I noticed that when I detuned the B string to A, so I'd have AEADGBE (which is drop A on a seven, right?), the low A was really, really loose. Like I said earlier, this is most likely due to a shitty setup. But, to reiterate, it made me think: how do you handle loose strings, in correlation with scale length? If I remember right, longer scale length = tighter strings when you use lighter gauge, right?

Help me out, here, guys. BTW - tried searching, didn't quite help me as much.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
yes the longer the scale length the tighter the strings... also.. the thicker the string gauge the tighter the string will be...

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
yes the longer the scale length the tighter the strings... also.. the thicker the string gauge the tighter the string will be...

Oh.
So, I could pull off a tight low A string with a 26.5" or 27" and a medium/medium-light gauge, the same as I could with a 25.5" and a heavy gauge?

I think I'd prefer the medium/medium-light gauge. :nuts:

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
yea just use a heavier gadge sting than tha shitty factory strings guitarcenter had on it.....so um......???..did u buy it??

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
No. I'm in a financial shithole right now. I'll get a 7, eventually.

I just wanted to have a better understanding of the different scale lengths, and how to keep strings tight.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
Oh.
So, I could pull off a tight low A string with a 26.5" or 27" and a medium/medium-light gauge, the same as I could with a 25.5" and a heavy gauge?

I think I'd prefer the medium/medium-light gauge. :nuts:
Listen to me bro..... YES you can pull off tighter string tension at lower tunings with a baritone scale without going larger in string gauge:agreed:..

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
I would also say look at Agile Interceptor 727's and Septor 727's .... both are 27 in. scales..... Interceptors have Emg 707's/ liscensed floyd rose trems and Septors have stock pickups/ strings thru body. edit.... veryyyyyyyyy reasonably priced..

double edit... www.rondomusic.com

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
zzsounds.com will work out payments

Oh fuck yeah, will look now. :hbang:

I would also say look at Agile Interceptor 727's and Septor 727's .... both are 27 in. scales..... Interceptors have Emg 707's/ liscensed floyd rose trems and Septors have stock pickups/ strings thru body.

Funny you mention that, because I've been eyeballing these for a while.

hornetpro7wh1.jpg

septorpro727ebpurewhite1.jpg

interceptorpro727mnamberqburstdot1.jpg

interceptorpro727ebnatsatin1.jpg

Do you know if Kurt (that's his name, right? :noplease:) would work out payments, as well?

EDIT: Not much that interests me at zzounds, unfortunately. The Schecter C7 Custom is nice, although I don't normally like quilt tops.
Almost $200/month, though. I barely afforded the $81.50 loan payment today, which was actually due last month on the 23rd, at the latest! :O Luckily, they were nice.
The RGA7 is also nice, but, I'm not sure how my wrists would handle thin necks. Tendonitis FTL.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
sometimes he takes "deposits for the next run of guitars.." this will be posted on the site.... This allows you to pay half the amount of the guitar/shipping.. then when it's ready to ship about 4-5 months later.. You have to pay the rest of the payment..... Sortof like a 2 part layaway plan. This is how I was able to afford my Blk Flame Maple Interceptor 727 with ebony fretboard. :D .. If it is a model he is taking deposits for.... This will be clearly posted in the description of the guitar..

Yes Kurt is his name.. My septor broke in shipping.. He sent me an Interceptor at septor price to fix the situation.... Truly a solid customer service oriented business man.

')