Help me with mix (Stoner rock meets rock meets metal) song - HD500+Metal Foundry

• Thread starter EmpulseOrange
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Double Barrel no mix yet by EmpulseOrange on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

New Song I made last night before crashing out. There is still something "non-professional" about it... maybe not enough highs or something, but despite using ALL new gear, its still sounding like my old mixes with free plugins and DFH, any suggestions? :wallbash:

I am looking for a Seemless/Metallica Re-load/Corrosion of Conformity sound

Using the Fireball amps with the POD, just a full left and full right, would an 80% L/R double track add to the fullness or would it cover up the sound too much?

Any EQ suggestions?

Master track has a room reverb and a 4 band compressor, and thats it.

Want a modern yet vintage sound, almost there, but not quite enough to be 100% happy yet, so any suggestions would be great!

THANKS GUYS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good! If I was mixing this down I'd look into the drums first. I'd like to hear a bit more bass drum with the proper eq relationship with the bass guitar so neither are entering each others frequency range. The snare is also a bit weak and lacks a little definition. Maybe a bit of compression on the snare to make that shit jump out. For the heavy stuff its all about the BD and snare cutting through. The bass guitar sounds a bit woofy. I'd probably cut 300hz down on it to have it sit a bit better. The rhythm guitars sound massive! I'd cut the low end down on 'em just clean them up a bit. Maybe start with 30hz shelving and play with it from there. Its tricky with the down-tuned stuff because the bass and the guitar start stepping on each others toes so you really have to use eq to make sure that each instrument is heard but yet they sound cohesive. Lead guitar has a nice round sound to it. I'd probably bump it up just a bit in the mix. For me I generally use eq in a subtractive nature. Adding too much colors the sound. Hope this helps!:yesway:

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was needing to know!

Stuff like this is why this site is my homepage!

I will try your suggestions after work and post the results. Thanks once again!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Hi there, I think one thing is the drums are very cutting, to the point that they sound quite like a drum machine. The bass isn't really merging with the kick, perhaps use a sidechain compressor so that the bass comes down a little when the kick is in, and boost the bass in relation to the kick? Getting a good balance between bass and kick is hard, of course. The rhythm guitars sound very cool, but they are overwhelming all frequencies, as killer rhythm tones tend to, so I'd suggest taking some of the lower end out of them, and letting the bass fill in for this as well.

The snare is very cutting but not in an attacking way, maybe take a little of the higher frequencies out of it and add a little more body around 400 and some compression, and use a bit of reverb or delay with stereo, just a little, on a separate bus to let is reach out into the sides of your mix a touch more. Just ideas of course, and the track is cool \m/

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
MUCH BETTER! I gotta tell you I think that lead guitar can come up just a bit more. You have some nice melodic lines bring 'em up!:yesway:

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
this sounds good man. Definitely got that vibe you were looking for. Maybe raise the volume of the guitars a bit? The drums seem maybe a little too loud compared to them. I think a more growly bass tone would work better. I can picture this sounding even better with a huge bass sound. That's really the only thing I can think of.

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I will try a different bass and see if that helps, and boost the lead. The bass does sound pretty flubby, using TSE BOD (bass overdrive), I will try the fliptop model in the HD500 and see how that goes as well.

There WILL be singing on this track, but not til I get the instruments more in line with my "vision"

')