Help me with my rig!

• Thread starter StatutoryApe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been saving and saving and finally have enough money for a decent tube amp. I'm gonna get a Peavey Valveking head and trade my old amp for a cab. If I see a used 5150 for a good price, I'm getting that. But I only have about $800 to $900 to spend. I want a noise suppressor/noise gate (I want an ISP Decimator), a Tube Screamer or clone, and a multi-effects unit (Behringer V-Amp Pro or 3). Would I be able to get all this stuff under my budget? My friend said I should get a DigiTech RP500, but would I be able to control noise and boost my amp with it? Any suggestions of pedals or anything?
I play hardcore, sometimes metalcore.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I've seen Mesa Boogie Recto's for 900 USD on eBay. I've always hated valvekings but that's just me, if you like them, buy it, but don't just get it because it has tubes.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
This is kind of a first for me to say this, but if you're in the market for a 5150, you might also consider the Bugera 6260/6262. You'll be able to find one for a bit cheaper used, which frees you up for something like a Line 6 M13 or something like that for a good MFX unit. The only differences between the 5150/5150 II and the 6260/6262 are A) 6260/6262 has reverb instead of a resonance control B) the clean channel on the Bugera is cleaner.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
That's a tight budget for what you're asking. I've been seeing several 6505 combos as low as $300. I'm not sure if you're only going for the head/cab route or if you're considering a combo. Can you be a bit more specific about the sound you're after?

I'm with CrushingAnvil, not a fan of the Valve King. Some people say they're great with a tube swap and a speaker swap, but at that point why not use the money you're spending on new tubes and/or a new speaker for a different amp?

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
go for the 5150. they last forever. and you do you really need a noise suppressor? shits for pussies. check out the ts7. they sound badass for damn cheap. then you can get it modded by lordovchaos later if you wanted to. as for multi effects, i cant help you. im more of a buy-each-effect-on-its-own kinda guy.they sound better.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
From my experience with the VK, you can get better for cheaper.
go for the 5150. they last forever. and you do you really need a noise suppressor? shits for pussies. check out the ts7. they sound badass for damn cheap. then you can get it modded by lordovchaos later if you wanted to. as for multi effects, i cant help you. im more of a buy-each-effect-on-its-own kinda guy.they sound better.
I thought that he wasn't doing mods and build anymore? Maybe he was just backlogged the last time I asked him.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
oh shit, really? i havent been on here for a while. shit sucks. his mods are awesome.
I was going to order an ABY switcher from him, but he said he didn't think he'd be building anything anytime soon. This was like 2 months ago or so.

')