Help! My amp is picking up a radio station?

• Thread starter lastczarnian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lastczarnian

Reaction score
I have a rather strange problem with my amp picking up a radio station. Whenever I use overdrive or a distortion pedal I can here some radio station coming through my amp. I don't think it's the amp or the guitars fault because this happens no matter which guitar I'm using. I have also had this happen from different amps. I think it has something to do with a local radio station in my area not conforming to FCC regulations.
This is causing some problems when I try to record or play live in the area. Any suggestions on what could be causing this and how to fix it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
common problem, but with many different causes.

has this already appeared in various locations (e.g. home + rehearsal room + live) or just at one place?

if second: at this one place, is the amp always standing at the same position? sometimes it already helps just to move the amp for a meter or something...

EDIT: have you tried different cables?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok first let me say this has nothing to do with the radio station violating FCC regulations. I live near a radio tower and get this all the time to varying degrees. Honestly there's not much you can do about it short of moving the amp around to try to minimize interference and getting a good noise gate.

lastczarnian

Reaction score
I did not realize this was a common problem.
Changing cables has not helped and moving the amp around does not work. I get the same interference no matter the location of the amp in my house. A noise gate may be only option at this point.

')