Help My Buddy in the Army Out

• Thread starter LOGfanforever90
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. My buddy Tim has recently caught the seven string bug, unfortunately he is over in Afghanistan right now so he doesn't have the time to do research. Seeing how much help I got last week in trying to get a new 6 I figured I'd get recommendations from you guys.

Price Range: $700-1,300
Also he plans on swapping out the pickups for some Barknuckles or a Crunchlab/LiquiFire combo. So if you guys could recommend on that end too that would be really cool.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
What other guitars does he play? What sort of music does he tend to play? Tone? Give us more to work with, theres a lot to choose from.

Reaction score
Well if he's going to throw dimarzio's in then get either a used 1527 and throw in pups or a used rg7620/7621 and throw pups in.
There aren't very many 7 string guitars out there that I see with passive routings. But maybe I missed some that came out at NAMM..
I can vouge for the 7620 being a great guitar though (when found in great condition).

If he really doesn't mind the phat block pickups then look for some ESPs and Agiles are supposed to be nice..

Or a used carvin

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he really doesn't mind the phat block pickups then look for some ESPs and Agiles are supposed to be nice..

Agile does their sevens with passives or actives... though most of the passive models don't seem to be in stock right now =/

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Agile does their sevens with passives or actives... though most of the passive models don't seem to be in stock right now =/

I'd checked with Kurt on that subject a few months back and he said the current production was all EMG-sized routes:

"from Kurt Zentmaier <kurt@rondomusic.com>
to ******************
date Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM
subject RE: Questions regarding pickups in Interceptor line
mailed-by rondomusic.com
hide details 9/7/10
Sorry, yes they are only coming with the active routes currently.
If you could get a model with the passive Cephius models, which guitar would you choose ?

kurt"

I was looking into the interceptor line.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
With 700-1300 I'de suggest looking at Carvin and having him speccing out his own guitar. Another alternative could be a reasonably bare-boned Strictly 7, I believe their pricing starts at $800.

Reaction score
What other guitars does he play? What sort of music does he tend to play? Tone? Give us more to work with, theres a lot to choose from.
He owns a Dean ML with a Floyd Rose (Dimebag style). He plays metal. Pretty much any suggestions that have passive routing between $700-1300 are great.

Also I sent him a link to an RG1527 so I'll see if he likes that.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
If he's into funky body shapes, he'd probably like the Xiphos 7 string. Plus it comes with Dimarzio's stock and has a wicked paintjob.

haffner1

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the BC Rich Jr. V 7 (obviously). One of those plus a set of BKP = $900 and they are pretty well built with great hardware. I am kind of interested in the DBZ sevens too, but I would have to see how they review before I would buy one. The Xiphos 7 might be good too but it sounds like he might want a trem. Also, as for the Agiles, remember that the actives are a lot easier to replace with passives than they used to be. You can either get covers or get the ring - fretsonthenet has a ring kit that fastens inside the route and doesn't mar the top- so it's reversible.

Reaction score
He bumped his price range up to $900-1,800, so I suggested an RGD2127Z. I've heard great things and at $1,500 he'll have extra cash left over for the pickups. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
He bumped his price range up to $900-1,800, so I suggested an RGD2127Z. I've heard great things and at $1,500 he'll have extra cash left over for the pickups. What do you guys think?

that would be a perfect choice, throw some crunchlab/liquifiers in there and it should come to about $1,800

Ruination19D

Om Nom Nom
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is his friend Tim. I appreciate everyone's input, since I don't always have time to do research on my own. I am really looking forward to owning a 7-String, but unfortunately I still have six months in this place.

')