help needed: positioning P90 routs

• Thread starter Tuned
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tuned

Reaction score
Could you please help me with this: I have a budget set-neck mahogany guitar prerouted for humbuckers, but I want to retrofit it with a set of Gibson P90s. There are plenty of P90 templates but I failed to find p90 positioning templates or measurements. I think simple setting the pickups in the middle of the humbucker routing might not be a great idea.

Also, could you please enlighten me on this: from the photos, it appears like mid-'50ies LP Specials and '58 and on Doublecut Specials had their p90s in the pretty same spots, whereas SG Specials had their P90s farther from the neck and probably from the bridge too. Is this really the case and what was the idea behind that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tuned

Reaction score
nah, I'm the heartless kind, love getting into little details, all that nerdy stuff, you know

Also, I've never owned a P90-equipped guitar before, only played an Edwards E-LP-130-CD/P with Seymour Duncan P90s a long time ago. Nobody around me owns a P90 guitar to A/B the diffrerence in the positions either.
Love the sound samples though. But samples don't tell the numbers, unfortunately

Tuned

Reaction score
or, do you mean, like cutting large basins and move the pups around until I find the sweet spots? That's kinda overkill for this project, LOL

Tuned

Reaction score
Well, you said it yourself - just go with it :)
I didn't quite say it like that, LOL.
I don't mind widening the sides a bit to have the job done, but given the spread of the P90's ears it's gonna be two VERY large basins if I go that way :D

Tuned

Reaction score
found this thread on the SG forum
The guy who posted #7 was clearly referring to some lore (and he himself also mentions that in #14), but he's not been active on the forum since 2021, and the older thread they share leads to 404...

He's done a good job tho

Attachments

• 155127776.gu3PeSg3.jpg
    155127776.gu3PeSg3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 155157533.UeKSPlvL.jpg
    155157533.UeKSPlvL.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

')