HELP Noise gate/noise suppressor shoot out!!!

• Thread starter DjentDjentlalala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What noise gate/suppressor??

• MXR Smart Gate

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • MXR Noise Clamp

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • ISP Decimator

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Boss Ns2

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Rocktron HUSH

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
Hey guys,i have a 6505,and it is noisy as hell,i dont really know the difference between noise gate and noise suppressor,i just want it to have these characteristics:

Fast working (ex. i heard the noise clamp in a vid, the guy played a note,the noise stood there for 1 second,then disappeared.

Transparent for tone.

I want it to be tight,not for djent,but every not has to be clear and sustain has to be there.

So,the options are in the poll

MXR Smart Gate,MXR Noise Clamp,ISP Decimator,Boss NS2,Rocktron HUSH.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

T-e-r-r-y

Reaction score
Yeah the G-string Decimator is the best pedal-form-factor noise gate out there. The Boss is good too, but will definitely affect your tone a lot more. I find it removes a little bit of high end in my rig, but I play a fairly bright tone so YMMV.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I was honest and chose hush. The reason being Is I dont really think its all that far off from the decimator. In fact the person behind the decimator actually used to own rocktron and developed the hush. So I would be willing to bet their are many similarities. The only thing I noticed about the hush is you have to be tasteful with the threshold. But if used tastefully its a very effective unit that is very cost effective when compared to the competition.

Oddly enough my first choice in NR and NG's is actually one you dont have listed. Thats actually the gates that come in the M series pedals from Line6. Now before you go laughing me off the forum, let me explain. I had bought and ISP dec G string. It had the reputation as the best in NR/gates. My particular amp at the time hated me when I put ANYTHING in the loop. But oddly enough that amp (6534+) seemed to really get along with the gate in the m series pedals. And on every amp ive had since then the M pedals really shined and left the ISP in their dust. Now I know my experience might not be the norm. But I think sometimes people get hung up on a name and flavor of the week ideals. And let me clear the air and say that I am NOT a line 6 fan. Ive had a few of their products and it was always quantity over quality for me. The M series pedals are no different but IMHO they represent some of the best Line 6 has ever offered. And It actually hurts to be able to say that. But the truth is the truth.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I own both the decimator and the NS2, I don't have the ISP hooked up, just collects dust. I swear by the NS2. Not that the ISP unit is bad, I just like the options on the NS2

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
+1 NS-2

With the loop you can put it both before and after your noisy pedals, aka your OD/EQ that you undoubtedly will be using for djent. Alternately you can have it before and after your preamp in some combination through the head's FX loop. Although I've never known putting a noise gate AFTER a preamp to be that effective... its being bombarded by so much gain it hardly clamps down unless you crank it.

Edit: plus I use the NS-2 on Mute mode, so its noise gate when "off" and mute when "on". Useful for guitar swaps or kill box or what have you. If you have a tuner pedal in line, you could probably achieve the same effect there.

Reaction score
Hey guys,i have a 6505,and it is noisy as hell,i dont really know the difference between noise gate and noise suppressor,i just want it to have these characteristics:

Fast working (ex. i heard the noise clamp in a vid, the guy played a note,the noise stood there for 1 second,then disappeared.

Transparent for tone.

I want it to be tight,not for djent,but every not has to be clear and sustain has to be there.

So,the options are in the poll

MXR Smart Gate,MXR Noise Clamp,ISP Decimator,Boss NS2,Rocktron HUSH.

I've got a 6505+ and I use a ISP Decimator G String.

imaginary

Reaction score
I like and use the NS-2 with the loop. I like it. Don't mess with the MXR (IMO) it doesn't work. No experience with others. NS-2 just works.

The NS-2 is mellow. I doesn't do hard gating, like if you wanted to use it to create stacatto. If I am playing fast, it's faster than the gate. I think it sounds very natural and wish it would be gnarlier... maybe.

Do any of you guys use these gates do staccato?

antknee

Reaction score
I use the isp in the loop to get rid of hiss and the ns2 infront on the amp for feedback. I tried them vice versa the first time and neither perfomed as well.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Beyond all the ISP fanboys, the Noise clamp is really great in my experience. Does its job well, no tone coloration, 1/3 the cost of a g-string, and you can set it so stomping it off bypasses everything in its loop.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Beyond all the ISP fanboys, the Noise clamp is really great in my experience. Does its job well, no tone coloration, 1/3 the cost of a g-string, and you can set it so stomping it off bypasses everything in its loop.

Agreed, the Noise Clamp is a little different with the loop and whatnot. I actually use one currently to keep a handle on a noisy compressor under higher gain, and I run only said compressor in the loop. The ISP's are good, but my vote goes for the MXR Smart Gate. I love those pedals, I've had nothing but good luck out of them. Very wide range, everything from subtle noise reduction to all out clamping power. FWIW I hated my NS-2 that I had for a few days. I could never get it dialed in whatsoever.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The other guitarist in my band uses a tubescreamer into the front of his 5150 and was using an NS-2 for a while, but it just didn't do the job, so we tried one of my Decimators, but that either left a little too much noise or cut the sustain. He ended up buying an MXR smart gate and it's got all the characteristics you're looking for. It's quick, tight and doesn't hurt his sustain. Hope this helps

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I like my NS-2. Does it colour the tone? Yah, probably. Does it cut out all the hum from my ridiculous board? Totally. I tried the ISP unit on a different rig. It was good, too, but it wasn't the snake oil everyone seems to think it is.

MaxSwagger

Reaction score
I use both an ISP Decimator and a BOSS NS-2, one in the loop and one up front with my 6505+. Using 2 gates tightens it up like crazy and is dead silent. I like the NS-2 up front as I can mess with the knobs a bit rather than just set and go like the ISP. However, if I were to have just use one gate I'd chose the ISP.

')