Help on building a rig

Masquerade

Reaction score
When I say Rig, I pretty much mean a better setup to what I have now

Currently I have a LTD 350NT and a old Crate GT65 amp
Pedalboard- Boss Noise Suppressor, TC Polytune mini (Noir), AKG mini wireless and a Fuel Tank Chameleon to power it.

So I've joined my first band and with starting to play more shows, I feel like a need a new selection of gear. I don't own a cabinet and having to ask other acts before a show to borrow theirs is getting old. I feel I need to step up and get some better gear. (E.g. Rocking up to your own headlining show with a 65watt amp isn't good)

I have done some research and I'm thinking of getting a Line 6 POD HD500x and an Orange PPC412 Cab. My problem is that I know there is more to it then that, I need more to get a decent rig but I don't know what else. I'm not the smartest of people in figuring this stuff out but can someone help shine some light on this for me?

I love the tone I get from the Crate amp but it can only go so far.
My bands new release

As you can tell, its in the metalcore/wtfeveryouwantcore style. I'm a sucker for these generic metal tones bands are coming out with now days. As only a young musician price is also a problem, cheap things would be lovely but I don't want bang for buck

Hope I still have you, so to just sum it all up.
I'm interested in getting a Line6PodHD500x with a Orange PPC412 cab
What else do I need to complete this setup
Looking for genericore tone/sound (Architects new album, Struc/tures)
Need bang for buck on the cheap side

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Well, you're gonna need something to power the rig. The HD500X is just a preamp. A cheap option that works nicely is the Velocity 300 which can be had for $300 used. I'd honestly spend less on the cab than you're gonna shell out for the Orange. They're nice, but they're pricey. Go with a used Carvin Legacy. They have the V30s in them that you probably covet, going for that 'core sound and can also be had for about $300. As for the 500X, the major differences between it and the 500 are 20% more DSP so you can run more effects and little LED rings around the buttons rather than a single light near each button. For me, that wasn't enough to shell out 50% more on a new X rather than buying just the 500, which I just picked up last night and am pretty stoked on so far.

So, yeah. Keep it cheap.
Used HD500 $300
Used Velocity 300 $300
Used Carvin cab $300

Total: $900

Go the expensive route:
HD500X: (cheapest used one I saw was): $460
Used tube power amp: $600
Used PPC412: $600

Total: $1660

Use the extra $760 to get a nicer guitar. If you like the LTD MH350-NT, you can usually get into a used MH600-NT for around $500 and it will have either a Duncan JB/59 set or an EMG 81/85 set. With the extra $260, you could upgrade the pickups in the MH350 to match.

EDIT:
Balls. Just noticed that you're in Australia. Sorry to tempt you with that pricing. Double everything. Not only do you have to live in mother nature's anti-human test facility, guitar gear is crazy expensive.

titan amps

Reaction score
i'm not familiar with the aussie used gear market, so this might not be a good recommendation: a 50W (or greater) tube amp in combo form with a boost, overdrive, or distortion pedal up front is the best option. something like a jet city 50W combo, peavey valveking, JSX, or 5150/6505. combos are typically cheaper than a head + cabinet rig. see what you can find that's used and has tubes...a lot of people buy very expensive modelers that sound great for recording or solo jamming, only to have a lot of problems getting them to work well live.

conversely, if you already dig the tone of your amp, just roll with what you've got. you can either put a mic in front of it for sound reinforcement via house PA or use a line out into a separate power amp into a 4x12 cab if that's what turns you on.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Yeah, the Australia thing is a good point. I was just gonna say if you are on a budget, grab a 6505+ 112 combo and you should be good to go. Or a Laney IRT60 combo. Both are under 600 in the US and would be more than enough for gigs.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i would suggest an 11 rack over an hd500 personally, you can get an 11r without pro tools for under $400 easy.

or you could always just run a head and a cab. i have a JSX on an EVH 4x12 and it kicks all sorts of ass.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
You have to check the Trading Post for good deals on used gear, though.

Promit

Reaction score
Personally I'd aim a little more traditional, find a Mesa Rec or 6505/5150 rig.

Masquerade

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I like the idea of having a unit like the Eleven Rack, having the ability to create different tones etc. While other units may be insanely expensive it's a good thing to work towards in future.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I would skip the guitar upgrade until you've got the amp situation sorted , a great amp will make a shit guitar sound amazing but not vice versa. Before you throw a pile of cash down on a multi fx unit ask yourself if you need half of what that unit will give you. If you don't use many effects, id suggest you get a decent OD pedal, get a cheap/second hand cab (you can get a blackstar 2x12 for about $350 which are solid, you can upgrade the speakers later if you like) and then invest in a good head. Peavey 6505+ is what you need, keep an eye out for second hand and you'll find a good deal.

Oreo_Death

Blackbird
Reaction score
Like what was said earlier, you should look into the HD 500 instead of the 500x. If its anything like the HD Pro (what I have) and the ProX, the price hike isn't necessarily worth it. But yeah man Ive asked similar questions regarding getting my rig built around my POD HD Pro, and Velocity power amps have come up several times. Definitely look into those. You could also go DI into FoH without a cab for some venues. Worth looking into if you can hold off of buying a cab and saving some money.

Also, look into power conditioners. It's something ive come across in my research in building a rig up. If you dont know what it is, it's essentially a power strip for your rig so if you're playing a shotty venue with shotty wiring, a surge wont put your rig up in flames haha. Look into Furman Power Conditioners, those run pretty cheap used.

The POD HDs are nice. I too was rocking on a less than favorable set up (crate 15w & Boss MT-2 effects pedal), and the POD HD Pro just blows me away. I love having that ability to have a bunch of tones, so awesome. On that note, if you plan on utilizing several tones during your set, you might want to look into a MiDi foot controller.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
5150 2x12 combo. 60 watts. Cannot go wrong. But i am a man of simplicity and tradition, im not into all that modeling stuff.

I don't know what they cost over there, but they pop up here and there on CL for 400-600 USD. You could always add a cab later too. More than enough UMPH!

Masquerade

Reaction score
Also, look into power conditioners. It's something ive come across in my research in building a rig up. If you dont know what it is, it's essentially a power strip for your rig so if you're playing a shotty venue with shotty wiring, a surge wont put your rig up in flames haha. Look into Furman Power Conditioners, those run pretty cheap used.

So does that mean a conditioner can alternately replace a power amp?

Thanks for the help guys, still trying to get my head around everything before I finalise my setup and start throwing cash at people

titan amps

Reaction score
a power "conditioner" is just a rack mounted power strip with fancy lights.

if you want something that's going to actually do some good, you need a voltage regulator. those are typically quite expensive.

if you had either, you'd still need a power amp.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Probably dreaming if looking for an Australian made power amp, but here is one that's already landed and only $250: PRO1000 QTX PA Power Amplifier PA Stereo DJ Band AMP | eBay
Probably not the greatest quality, but more than ample wattage to do what you need to do. Would work well either amplifying the Pod through PA speakers or through a guitar speaker cab.

')