Help on some alternate picking issues...

• Thread starter Stillcounting91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stillcounting91

Reaction score
Ive been playin for four years or so and I finally decided to make some forum posts about some problems Ive been having. So my picking has never really progressed much (I can play a 2 octave major or minor scale at about 60 or 70 bpm doing sixteenth notes). Recently Ive noticed that when I pick inside the strings, my wrist locks up alot more than it does when I pick outside the strings. Additionally, when I change strings or skip strings I tend to lock up sometimes. If anybody has some suggestions than I would really appreciate hearing them. I am more than willing to put in the practice to develop these skills, but I feel that I could use a bit of help. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Not much I can advise you except that you know your weaknesses, practice them explicitely instead of between other exercises.

Do some inside picking exercises, 1 note per string arpeggios w/ alternate picking, etc.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Try emphasizing upstrokes too. Sometimes a weak upstroke can ruin a well started phrase. Especially when I pick inside the strings, the reason I have trouble is most often my slacking upstrokes.

Latest posts

')