Help! Part of my power tube glows GREEN...

• Thread starter Derek Ageless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Ageless

Reaction score
I just retubed my 6505+ for the first time today. I ordered a standard retube kit from Eurotubes.

I love the sound I'm getting now...it really smoothed things out.

I paid very close attention to what the tubes looked like once I powered up to make sure I got a good connection. Everything looked good at first, the tubes had a bluish glow to them when my amp was in play mode, which I read was normal.

But after an hour or so of play, I turned off the lights in the room and looked at the power tubes and I noticed part of the tube was glowing
GREEN!

I'm such a tube n00b that I don't even know the proper name of the piece that is glowing green, so I made an intricate diagram with the help of MS Paint:
JJ-6L6GCquad1.jpg

The part of the wire of that is circled is the only place in the 1 tube that glows green.

After a while, I powered the amp down and looked to see if the JJ logo had turned from red to brown to see if had overheated, but it was still red and looked exactly like the other tubes.

Also, I didn't lose any power/gain from when I initally installed the tubes, so it seemed to be working properly.

I searched the internet but couldn't find any examples or explanation for this.

Has anyone encountered this, or could anyone explain this?

Ps-First post suckas!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Ageless

Reaction score
Thanks duder...that makes me feel a little better.

I'm still kinda paranoid though, so I'll continue to watch it like a hawk.

...even when I play shows, my back will be turned to the crowd and my face will be permanently in my grill. :p

')