Help picking Dimarzio pickups

• Thread starter csacwp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

csacwp

Reaction score
I've read all the threads I could find by searching, but my questions haven't really been answered, so here we go...

I'm trying to pick between the SD7, TZ7, and DS7 for a guitar with an alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. It will most likely be tuned to standard tuning with the low string tuned to A. I play heavy metal and progressive heavy metal. I love the 6-string Tone Zone and SD, and I'm pretty fond of the D-sonic as well. I'm wondering how the 7-string versions of these pickups compare to each other and the six string versions. Ideally I'd be putting a 6-string Tone Zone in this guitar, but alas, it has seven strings. If it makes a difference, I prefer the six string D-sonic with the bar facing the neck.

Here are some examples of the tone I like (these are played using a six string Tone Zone).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QuOGmfRyvw&index=8&list=PLW8BIeqOnuDGL0TfiXxLmZVteOJVZ7Qj-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8BR0sLBXPQ&index=11&list=PLW8BIeqOnuDGL0TfiXxLmZVteOJVZ7Qj-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi4_nWSqcXE&index=4&list=PLW8BIeqOnuDGL0TfiXxLmZVteOJVZ7Qj-

^ Solo starts at 2:19

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
The 6 and 7 string variants of the TZ aren't really all that close to one another, despite sharing the same name. The D-Sonic is a great choice though, it can cover a lot of tonal ground depending on the pole piece orientation and it really keeps it's clarity. The Super Distortion is also a great choice too, it's a little higher output, more mid heavy and bassier than the D-Sonic though, so that's something to keep in mind.

csacwp

Reaction score
The 6 and 7 string variants of the TZ aren't really all that close to one another, despite sharing the same name. The D-Sonic is a great choice though, it can cover a lot of tonal ground depending on the pole piece orientation and it really keeps it's clarity. The Super Distortion is also a great choice too, it's a little higher output, more mid heavy and bassier than the D-Sonic though, so that's something to keep in mind.

If the sd is higher output with more mids and bass, does that mean it's closer to the six string tone zone?

csacwp

Reaction score
If the sd is higher output with more mids and bass, does that mean it's closer to the six string tone zone?

I should add that I don't care if my low end is a little muddy or flabby- I actually prefer that sound for the music I play. Since my guitar will be tuned to standard, I was hoping I could get away the the TZ7. I understand it has a ceramic magnet instead of the alnico 5 found in the 6-string TZ. Does it still have the fat lead tone with the smooth, rolled off treble? How do the harmonics and overtones compare to the original?

JohnnyP

Reaction score
I know you didn't mentioned it but I'd thought I'd throw it out there....I am a huge fan of the LquidFire neck pickup. I actually believe it is perhaps one of the finest neck humbuckers ever designed.

csacwp

Reaction score
I know you didn't mentioned it but I'd thought I'd throw it out there....I am a huge fan of the LquidFire neck pickup. I actually believe it is perhaps one of the finest neck humbuckers ever designed.

I'm only looking for a bridge pickup. I've tried the liquifire in a number of my guitars and have never taken to it. As for the guitar I'm currently having built, it will have a sustainiac driver in the neck position.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
have you thought about a BKP holy diver or nail bomb ? Sounds pretty close to a tone zone to my ear through a Legacy 3 amp

csacwp

Reaction score
have you thought about a BKP holy diver or nail bomb ? Sounds pretty close to a tone zone to my ear through a Legacy 3 amp

I have. The Nail Bomb sounds closest to me, but it's tighter and sounds more sterile. Those are still options on the table, though.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I used what I think was a DS7 for a few minutes (I don't think it's a Crunch Lab 7...) before I pulled it out of the guitar it came in. I thought it was bright and very high output. So maybe good for metal.

The DS7 was much brighter/tighter and higher output than the TZ7 in my experience. I like the TZ7, especially after performing the "half-air" mod, but it's more of a rock or hard-rock pickup IMHO. The TZ7 is round and warm IMHO and is not the tightest/fastest responding pickup. It will get crazy metal with a boost into a Recto, but most things will. If you want it dedicated for metal, I might pick something else.

No experience with the new Super Distortion 7. But I wonder how similar it is to the Blaze Custom and the Ibanez/Dimarzio New 7 (stock pickups in the 7620 and 1077XL). I've always thought the Ibanez New 7 sounded similar to a Super Distortion, and I think the New 7 and the Blaze Custom are similar. The New 7s are very hot and dark (much hotter and darker than the Blaze). Great for anything high gain IMHO. Some folks think the New 7 is muddy, but I think it's a cool pickup.

Latest posts

')