HELP! Pickups for the new guitar!

Jake_Guitar

Reaction score
Hey everyone! :hbang:

Sorry if this is in the wrong location (my first post), but I am desperate to figure out what pickups to put in my new PRS Custom 24 SE 7-string.

First off, my rig: I'm currently using a Line 6 Pod HD Pro X through some KRK speakers but intend on upgrading to the Axe FX 2 with a Mesa Cab (keep this in mind)

Second, my style: I play mostly progressive metal, and intend on creating a unique blend of styles. I enjoy Intervals, Periphery, Meshuggah, TesseracT, Animals As Leaders, Karnivool, and Tool. Those are my most direct influences right now (keep this in mind)

So, so far I have some Bareknuckle's in mind as well as Seymour Duncan, those being: Nazgul/Sentient Set, Pegasus/Sentient Set, Black Hawk Set, Aftermath Set, and Aftermath/Cold Sweat Set.

Anyones opinions? Trying to finalize the guitar!

Thanks everyone,
Jake

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Welcome!

My advice is to spend some time with the stock electronics in the guitar first, then decide what changes you'd like to make based on what you want more or less of in comparison to the current pickups.

For the sounds of the bands you mentioned, I'd say it'd be pretty hard to go wrong with the 57/66 set or a Dimarzio D-Activator/Liquifire if you want to stay passive.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I really love the Alnico Black Hawk set from BKP. I think that would be right up your alley (similar influences).

that short guy

Reaction score
Having used half the pickups you're thinking about I can tell you that that the Aftermaths, Blackhawks, and Cold Sweat can all do what you're after, it's been proven time and time again. I 2nd the notion that you spend some time with the stock pickups and find out what it is you'd like to change. I'm also going to recommend the EMI 57/66 set as stated above. I used to use bkp exclusively but the 57/66 set impressed me so much that I've been slowly but surely swapping the bkp's to emg's. And my goats sound better than ever

bouVIP

Reaction score
I have a set of Nazgul/Sentient pickups and ceramic Nailbombs in my 2 SE 7s. The SD pickups up sound great for metal, but probably won't get the more progressive sort of sound you are going for. The Nailbombs, which I chose for more progressive stuff like Periphery, sound great! Really tight low end and great chord voicing.

Edit: I also use a pod hd pro x

Jake_Guitar

Reaction score
Gnarly! Thanks for all the responses everyone :hbang:

So I have considered all that has been mentioned, and firstly, I'll address my issues and sought after changes from the stock pickups:

- they sound a little too warm at times (not that warmth is a bad thing)
- they don't have the fast response that I'd like (for "djent" sections)

What I would like out of the new pickups:

- fast response time
- a natural warm sound but never too warm (able to retain fast response while still sounding natural)
- able to achieve heavy rhythm patterns whilst being able to produce clear and crisp leads

Essentially what I want is the perfect prog metal set of pickups. Achieving such tones as Periphery's almost unnaturally fast response times and crispness (and intervals), but also retain beautiful cleans such as Animals As Leaders.

I really want to go passive this time. I have always been active EMG, so it's time for a change.

Now, more specs, wood types:
Neck: Maple
Fret-board: Rosewood
Body: Mahogany
Body-top: Beveled Maple

Scale-length: 25"

So, questions:
- how is the passive 57/66 set?
- how is the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set?
- how much is customs charges when ordering BKP into Canada?
- is there any alterations needing to be made to install any such pickups?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to your opinions!
:hbang:

Jake_Guitar

Reaction score
Take a look! This'll introduce the good ol' aesthetic dilemma, as well. Haha. :metal:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 19

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
BKP-wise, Painkillers might be good in that guitar, but they might be too bright for you; the official BKP clips were made on an LP IIRC, so that'll give you a good idea. Also, all the ones you mentioned and were mentioned by others! :lol:

Chris Letchford of Scale the Summit currently uses the 57/66 set, and I'm pretty sure I read he used the Dimarzio D-sonic for nearly everything on The Migration.

Another Dimarzio to consider is the Ionizer, especially if you lean more AAL. :)

MrPowers

Reaction score
I'm going to say a D'Activator or Blackhawk set.

The 57/66 are not passive and would require all new pots and a new jack and which would be a fair amount of wiring.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to say a D'Activator or Blackhawk set.

The 57/66 are not passive and would require all new pots and a new jack and which would be a fair amount of wiring.

Well, it's true the downside of switching to EMG's is having to switch all the electronics, but the upside is that everything is quick-connect now, no soldering necessary!

bouVIP

Reaction score
FYI BKPs with covers will require modding in the SE.

that short guy

Reaction score
Too add to the requiring new electronics for the emg's the pickups will come with all of it and it's pretty much dummy proof. I know squat about electronics but I wired my guitar with ease the last time around with 0 soldering.

But if you're dead set on passive, you might want to try the SD first just because they're easier on the wallet and are capable of getting that tone from the clips I've heard on you tube

')