Help: poor monitor sound for singer

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
I play guitar and do a sliver of backup screaming in a melodic metal band. We've run into a problem that seems rather difficult to solve.

Our singer can never hear himself proper. Even when we do get a regular soundcheck, and things tune in well enough, it always ends up becomming a blur of noise in the monitors.

As we rely heavily on passages on clean singing, it is imperative that our leadsinger can hear himself. I have tried to keep the backgear on low levels so the PA will deliver the sound to the audience, and the monitors any sound we should need. This has helped slighty, but has not given us what we need.

We play smaller clubs, and realize it is difficult to get a crystal clear monitor sound - but I hope some of you have any good ideas or experiences to share with me.

I've posted a video below with a stage performance that went reasonly well, so you can get an idea what music we are trying to deliver.

[youtube] [/youtube]

If you should have any interrest in checking out the rest of our music, we're here: https://www.facebook.com/thevisionablaze

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
In-ears are the way to go. Carvin's are a fantastic price.

This monitor issue is unfortunately just a fact of life with loud fucking metal/rock/etc bands.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
In-ears are the way to go also because, at least in metal, having the vocals very loud on stage is usually a pain for the guitarists/bassist who need to hear the "rhythm" stuff more than anything.

Roy

12 + 16j = 25L53,13
Reaction score
I play guitar and try to do some vocal distortion.
In ears are perfect for the vox (even grunts).

Please remember that the in-ear phones are even more important than
the electronics connected to it.
IF the sound is not good enough : first try different earpieces (could try with mp3player-earthingies).

NateSwiftMusic

Reaction score
Yeah, In-Ears are becoming the new standard. Playing live they make everything so much easier for everyone. Any sound person I've talked to has said every band/performer with in-ears just sounds better (on average), both in pitch and overall feel. I use the Shure PSM200, and they work very well.

nscarfo83

Reaction score
In ears are great and if you run them to the board you can only hear what you want

')