HELP - Recommend me a keyboard.

• Thread starter Hellraizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellraizer

Reaction score
So recently I have been toying with the idea of buying a workstation keyboard for studio use, however I am not a keyboard player at all, and I really have no clue about whats good or everything you can do with a workstation. This will be my first keyboard. I'm just not sure if what I have in mind suits my needs or is just overkill. Mainly what I want are some good piano, string, and brass sounds. I hate dance and techno music so all those kinds of sounds and fuctions will probably never get used. I need to be able to do some sampling, sub bass drops, and would like to be able to use the keys for a controller in EZdrummer. I really like the sounds on the Korg Triton but it seems these are discontinued, so I was looking at the Korg M3 88key, and the Roland Fantom X8 since these are sort of in my price range. I have pretty much ruled out anything but an 88 key board as I would like to have the weighted keys and it seems that is pretty much exclusive to the 88 key models. I have considered maybe buying an 88 Key midi contoller and using soft synths for all my needs, but I don't really want to have rely on my computer everytime I have an idea, I want to be able to just turn it on and play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you already have a computer that you're using as a host for EZDrummer, i'd suggest just getting a USB keyboard and getting soft synths.

I don't know why anybody is even making hardware synths at all any more.

Most of the 88-key models with weighted keys are usually digital pianos.

D

Desecrated

If you already have a computer that you're using as a host for EZDrummer, i'd suggest just getting a USB keyboard and getting soft synths.

I don't know why anybody is even making hardware synths at all any more.

Most of the 88-key models with weighted keys are usually digital pianos.

Real-time knob movement to enhance performance.

Reaction score
I have a Korg Triton Le, the one with 61 keys, i bought it a used at a very good price and it works great as a midi controller for soft synths and it is also great for performance, I think for someone that is not a keyboard player (like me) i works just fine :)

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I'm not a keyboard player, so I just got one witha midi out and weighted keys yadda yadda. Something simple to muck around on, get 88 keys, some twiddly knobs you can assign to stuff and then use that through a bunch of soft synths, as you can then take the midi you record and quantize it and move it around, rather than having to learn to play keys or learning how to ssend midi out of you DAW into the keyboard to record it.

nikki-k

Reaction score
So many choices..

Another vote on the Fantom 8. Oasys if you have serious $$$.
Used Kurzweil K2600
Korg Triton

Or, you could find a nice controller, and then if you want soft synths, grab a Receptor (by Muse). No computer required for real-time/live use.

If you want weighted, I am curious as to why. If it is because you are simply used to that action, cool. Playing B3/Hammond type stuff "feels" better to me with "synth action" keys, but even then it is taste (of course). If you want weighted because you intend for mainly piano.. grab a nice controller that has some piano and maybe some GM stuff (Kurzweil and others have 'em). Basics in stand-alone, soft-synths with computer powered up.

Hellraizer

Reaction score
If you want weighted, I am curious as to why.

I'm not dead set on weighted keys, it just seems to me like it would feel and sound more natural.:shrug:

So what would be the advantage of a workstation vs. a contoller/rack/soft synth setup.

Reaction score
It mainly comes down to your budget. If you can afford it, the new Fantom G8 is phenomenal. Easily the best workstation I've ever played. Not too far behind that is the X8. I really dislike the new M3 series so I'd say get a Triton Extreme 88 as a third, slightly cheaper option.

nikki-k

Reaction score
OK.. for feel, it really depends on two things then: experience based preference, or "beginner's preference."

If you have played piano before, then you might want to try several different keyboards. Every brand has a different feel, from subtle to "OMFG!!" different. Even so, do you really want it to feel like a piano all the time? While someone like Jordan Rudess can run a weighted 88 all day, every day and not have it (seemingly) affect him, for most of us it does matter.

If you little to no keyboard experience (no piano, no synths), then you may be fine with weighted, semi-weighted or synth action. Weighted will have an EXTREMELY different feel from the synth action keys. When you strike a note on a piano or weighted board, as your finger lifts, you noticeably feel the key's weight. Some of us find weighted allows us to "feel" the expressiveness/dynamics of strikes. Others find the weight and rebound of the weighted keys limits this ability, and prefer synth action all the way. I know some pro players who prefer synth action for playing piano patches!

If you get into Hammond type playing at all, synth action will likely be it. I prefer synth action (but am picky about which brand.. and even model). I really do not know how Jordan Rudess does his Hammond stuff on the Kurz (and now Oasys). Well, I know, but it is not comfy for me at all.

Workstation vs controller + rack/soft synths.. rough one.
I love workstations for starting out.. well, at least "multi-task" types. I would not realy have use for the recording capabilities in the current top end pieces, but the sheer capabilities in sound construction are incredible. My V-Synth GT does things in one unit that NO other unit can, but it is not a "swiss army knife" (not by a LONG shot). And a Yamaha VLM does it's thing really well, and little else. Oasys, Fantom, etc do TONS. More than many will ever need or dream of. None will do the extremes of a V-Synth or VLM, but modeled analog? Sample? Different modes of synthesis? FX processing? Yep.. and then some. Absolute workhorse. Unless you get going into extremes or decide to find a specific task.. well, those will cover all else.

With a controller and rack synths.. well, you have a modular approach. Add an FM based, like a TX7. Add an old Roland, or a piano module, or a Receptor. Or, since most modern controllers have USB for MIDI, plug in and trigger soft synths. I use Synthogy Ivory for pianos, Native Insturments for sampler and craziness (Absynth 4), Arturia for modelled classics (Prophet, MiniMoog, Moog Modular, CS80, etc), Gforce M-Tron (mellotron!!!), and a bunch of others. But, I also have hardware synths as well. Different sound, different response, etc.

To begin, I would spend time checking out the workstations at a dealer (if you have the cash). If you do not have the cash, don't torture yourself. Buy a cheap controller for now, hook up, and try out the soft synths. Figure out the sounds you might desire to work with.. Piano? Organ? Mellotron? Sampled craziness? Old analogue? DIY wildness? And if you want, save up and then grab a nice 88-key weighted. Then you would have both!

Oh- one last thing.. for a controller, aftertouch is something I would try to be sure it has. Basically, after you press a key down and hold it, relaxing (but still keeping the key down) and/or pressing harder provides a MIDI message (Continuous Control message) that can be assigned to control various aspects of a sound/patch. Cool stuff.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I'm picking up a midi keyboard myself. I'm going to try and pick up some basic skills on it so I can lay down tracks for recording. I know I can draw them in but I'ld like to be able to improv a few ideas first and then play/fix them later. The unit I have my eyes on is only a small 49 key with semi weighted keys. Its really all I'll need for now.

Hellraizer

Reaction score
OK.. for feel, it really depends on two things then: experience based preference, or "beginner's preference."

If you have played piano before, then you might want to try several different keyboards. Every brand has a different feel, from subtle to "OMFG!!" different. Even so, do you really want it to feel like a piano all the time? While someone like Jordan Rudess can run a weighted 88 all day, every day and not have it (seemingly) affect him, for most of us it does matter.

If you little to no keyboard experience (no piano, no synths), then you may be fine with weighted, semi-weighted or synth action. Weighted will have an EXTREMELY different feel from the synth action keys. When you strike a note on a piano or weighted board, as your finger lifts, you noticeably feel the key's weight. Some of us find weighted allows us to "feel" the expressiveness/dynamics of strikes. Others find the weight and rebound of the weighted keys limits this ability, and prefer synth action all the way. I know some pro players who prefer synth action for playing piano patches!

If you get into Hammond type playing at all, synth action will likely be it. I prefer synth action (but am picky about which brand.. and even model). I really do not know how Jordan Rudess does his Hammond stuff on the Kurz (and now Oasys). Well, I know, but it is not comfy for me at all.

Workstation vs controller + rack/soft synths.. rough one.
I love workstations for starting out.. well, at least "multi-task" types. I would not realy have use for the recording capabilities in the current top end pieces, but the sheer capabilities in sound construction are incredible. My V-Synth GT does things in one unit that NO other unit can, but it is not a "swiss army knife" (not by a LONG shot). And a Yamaha VLM does it's thing really well, and little else. Oasys, Fantom, etc do TONS. More than many will ever need or dream of. None will do the extremes of a V-Synth or VLM, but modeled analog? Sample? Different modes of synthesis? FX processing? Yep.. and then some. Absolute workhorse. Unless you get going into extremes or decide to find a specific task.. well, those will cover all else.

With a controller and rack synths.. well, you have a modular approach. Add an FM based, like a TX7. Add an old Roland, or a piano module, or a Receptor. Or, since most modern controllers have USB for MIDI, plug in and trigger soft synths. I use Synthogy Ivory for pianos, Native Insturments for sampler and craziness (Absynth 4), Arturia for modelled classics (Prophet, MiniMoog, Moog Modular, CS80, etc), Gforce M-Tron (mellotron!!!), and a bunch of others. But, I also have hardware synths as well. Different sound, different response, etc.

To begin, I would spend time checking out the workstations at a dealer (if you have the cash). If you do not have the cash, don't torture yourself. Buy a cheap controller for now, hook up, and try out the soft synths. Figure out the sounds you might desire to work with.. Piano? Organ? Mellotron? Sampled craziness? Old analogue? DIY wildness? And if you want, save up and then grab a nice 88-key weighted. Then you would have both!

Oh- one last thing.. for a controller, aftertouch is something I would try to be sure it has. Basically, after you press a key down and hold it, relaxing (but still keeping the key down) and/or pressing harder provides a MIDI message (Continuous Control message) that can be assigned to control various aspects of a sound/patch. Cool stuff.

Thanks dude that clears up so much. Now that I think about it like that, a piano feel might not be so great all of the time. The FantomG8 and the Oasis are certainly way out of my price range. Perhaps I will go with a Roland X7 or the like since it has semi weighted keys I believe, then later on I could add a weighted 88key controller. Yea I just need to go play on some of these boards. Thanks for all the info. Rep for everyone.

Diogene303

Reaction score
Also Have a look at the Yamaha XS8 the 88 note keyboard if you really want a workstation , or as someone said look at a good controller ( 88 note midi ) with PROPER hammer action as trust me it makes a diff.

The nice thing also about most workstations is that they work really well with midi and your DAW / software choose.

Regards

Diogene

P'.s Been playing Piano since i was 6 years old so i know what i'm talking about when it comes to controllers and keyboards and i've worked for pretty much roland , yamaha and korg in the past. ( Yamaha make all the keys for Korgs keyboards so bet you didn't know that one ! ).

')