HELP! Setting up my first ever guitar... but how?! many questions!!!

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I simply want to setup my first guitar i got around 2 years ago. When I got my Schecter Omen 6 in summer of 2013, it was setup to E standard tuning with .09-.42. Ever since, i got another guitar which is tuned to C standard (schecter blackjack SLS). I was looking to maybe drop my guitar tuning (of my Omen 6) down a full step to D standard. however, i do not want to pay someone again for a complete guitar setup ($80 and up in my area!!!) like i did with my SLS.

First, i would like to know, can anyone recommend me on guides (youtube, books, etc.) on how to completely setup my guitar from A-Z?

Also, i am curious; from the following list of adjustments, what should be the order (first thing to last thing) of things to do?:

- truss rod
- nut filling/adjusting
- height of bridge
- intonation
- pickup height
- etc. (if any other steps are to be done)

what is the most difficult part of setting up a guitar? Is this something i should be considering or is this a bad idea? should i pay someone to do it or run the risk of f*cking things up to eventually learn it??

Thank you very much in advance, any help is appreciated!!! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Nothing about a setup is especially difficult, just do a little research and be gentle as you're learning. As far as books go, this is a good one to get you started.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Are you going to be using the same gauge strings in the future? Truss rod adjustments should be assessed while the guitar is strung and tuned.

Infused1

Reaction score
Setting up a guitar might seem easy for a lot of new comers but you need to be very careful with cutting or filing. If you do it yourself you need to make 1 very crucial move "BE PATIENT". There are a lot of good resources online to help with setup. If you are planning to have the Nut Cut, I would not do it yourself for your first try. All it takes is a tiny over file and your putting yourself into the $150 to replace the nut. I do this order of the setup process:

Choose Strings sizes
File Nut to accommodate strings
Tune and Adjust truss Rod in very small increments
Set the height of the strings
Intonation - (Do this after height and neck adjustment because you can throw the intonation out by adjusting the neck and bridge height, people forget by doing the neck adjustment, you move the nut closer or further from the bridge although very slight)
Then setup the pickup height.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Setting up your own guitar is something I personally believe every guitarist should know how to do. Other people can do it for you but you can tweak it to your exact settings if you know how to do it yourself.

If it's your first time doing any of the above I would recommend doing a lot of research first, read, read and reread. watch a lot of YouTube videos. Plus ask a local Tech if you can watch him do a few setups and hang out and observe at his shop.

When I started I could just do the basics, then met the owners of RS Guitarworks (Local custom shop) Went and hung out at their shop watched their build techniques and setup process. I learned a lot from Roy and Scott without ever touching a guitar. I'm no pro but people are never disappointed with my setups.

2 things to note from your above list. If your just learning remember to do things in SMALL increments. Like only 1/8 turn on truss rod and IF you file the nut do it gradually, you can always remove more but you cannot add it back (You can but that's a whole different story) Also with truss rod adjustments let the neck settle in after each adjustment it's not something that is instantaneous.

Just be sure to do your research mainly before even touching it.

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Setting up a guitar might seem easy for a lot of new comers but you need to be very careful with cutting or filing. If you do it yourself you need to make 1 very crucial move "BE PATIENT". There are a lot of good resources online to help with setup. If you are planning to have the Nut Cut, I would not do it yourself for your first try. All it takes is a tiny over file and your putting yourself into the $150 to replace the nut. I do this order of the setup process:

Choose Strings sizes
File Nut to accommodate strings
Tune and Adjust truss Rod in very small increments
Set the height of the strings
Intonation - (Do this after height and neck adjustment because you can throw the intonation out by adjusting the neck and bridge height, people forget by doing the neck adjustment, you move the nut closer or further from the bridge although very slight)
Then setup the pickup height.

Thank you very much dude! and sorry english is not my first language, but what do you mean "putting yourself into $150"? like you're saying that that is how much it will cost???

Anyways, thanks again!!

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Setting up your own guitar is something I personally believe every guitarist should know how to do. Other people can do it for you but you can tweak it to your exact settings if you know how to do it yourself.

If it's your first time doing any of the above I would recommend doing a lot of research first, read, read and reread. watch a lot of YouTube videos. Plus ask a local Tech if you can watch him do a few setups and hang out and observe at his shop.

When I started I could just do the basics, then met the owners of RS Guitarworks (Local custom shop) Went and hung out at their shop watched their build techniques and setup process. I learned a lot from Roy and Scott without ever touching a guitar. I'm no pro but people are never disappointed with my setups.

2 things to note from your above list. If your just learning remember to do things in SMALL increments. Like only 1/8 turn on truss rod and IF you file the nut do it gradually, you can always remove more but you cannot add it back (You can but that's a whole different story) Also with truss rod adjustments let the neck settle in after each adjustment it's not something that is instantaneous.

Just be sure to do your research mainly before even touching it.

Yeah thats a good idea (to go to my local shop). I will ask the guys there. thanks for the tip!

Also, how much time does it take for the truss rod to settle? 5 mins? 10 mins? thanks dude!!

Latest posts

')