HELP: Should I jump on this deal...???

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found an EVH 5150 (50 watts) head used for... $700 (Canadian)/$540 (USA)!!!!

Should i jump on this?? this seems so cheap!

Thanks for the help! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do it!! Its waaay too cheap
just make sure to check it.

I used to have one that I bought used for 750

Here in the USA a really cheap one is in the 600-650 range.
But most tend to go for 650-800 I would say

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do it!! Its waaay too cheap
just make sure to check it.

I used to have one that I bought used for 750

Here in the USA a really cheap one is in the 600-650 range.
But most tend to go for 650-800 I would say

The only thing though is: i never bought/owned a tube amp :/ how do i check if its in proper shape when buying it????

RuiNs777

Reaction score
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I traded mine for a KM7 and one just popped up locally for $500 and I'm considering buying it again. Just to have it or to trade it for something $1000 worth hahaha. Beast of an amp, really.

takotakumi

Reaction score
The only thing though is: i never bought/owned a tube amp :/ how do i check if its in proper shape when buying it????

Are you buying it from a store? If so you would be safe with the trial days you have to test it and return it.

If you're buying it from someone:
Do you have a general idea of how the EVH tone is? Try listening to some recordings or listen to some videos to get a general idea of how it "should" sound.

Also, when you try it make it sure the sound is not clipping or something like that. This could be from old tubes that need to be swapped or something else.

Be aware that the 50W version shares the eq for the GREEN and BLUE channel! So do not get surprised by a sudden increase in volume when swapping them. This is a general complaint of that head. It gets subtle if you
adjust the gain closer to 12 O'clock.

Try and make sure the guy is reliable in case something happens too. Be sure that the amp is in the conditon it is advertised.

RuiNs777

Reaction score

Hear a couple of clips and try it. If it sounds fine, as you would expect it to sound, you're OK. When tube amps fails they show very obvious signs of failure most of the time. Things that should make you suspect to it not being in proper shape: horrible feedback, sudden drop in volume, a weak tone, loud cracking or popping sounds when turning it off or on and/or, obviously, if it doesn't power on as its supposed to.

RuiNs777

Reaction score
Be aware that the 50W version shares the eq for the GREEN and BLUE channel! So do not get surprised by a sudden increase in volume when swapping them. This is a general complaint of that head. It gets subtle if you

+++1. Probably my only complaint from the amp apart from having switches on the back. This volume drop is completely normal due to the nature of the amp's circuit and should not alert you.

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Are you buying it from a store? If so you would be safe with the trial days you have to test it and return it.

If you're buying it from someone:
Do you have a general idea of how the EVH tone is? Try listening to some recordings or listen to some videos to get a general idea of how it "should" sound.

Also, when you try it make it sure the sound is not clipping or something like that. This could be from old tubes that need to be swapped or something else.

Try and make sure the guy is reliable in case something happens too. Be sure that the amp is in the conditon it is advertised.

Thanks for the tips!!

And i'm buying it off someone, not a store. I could try to get a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about tube amps and such...

It seems to be in a good condition from the pictures, but i'll see once i'm there.