Help/tips on writing heavy/progressive metal

Reaction score
I just got signed to a label to release a solo EP and Ive really been into writing heavy progressive metal for a while and im hoping someone could give me a few tips for writing things like long melodic sequences, better musical structure, and maybe just some fresh chords/keys i could work with. i will link my current music below. any feedback would be awesome and dont be afraid to tell me whats wrong with my songs, thats what im hoping to hear actualy :)

ArtForm-KyleGruenig's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
So, you've been signed to a record deal apparently without substantial material to record?

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Just copy Tosin's everything..
You got some decent tracks but i can see where the longer melodic sequence would come in..Best of luck

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I just got signed to a label to release a solo EP and Ive really been into writing heavy progressive metal for a while and im hoping someone could give me a few tips for writing things like long melodic sequences, better musical structure, and maybe just some fresh chords/keys i could work with. i will link my current music below. any feedback would be awesome and dont be afraid to tell me whats wrong with my songs, thats what im hoping to hear actualy :)

ArtForm-KyleGruenig's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thank you!

Shiiiiiit
I should be asking you for music writing tips not vice versa, I enjoy the music you have created thus far, and may bug you about tabs on some of them :)

Reaction score
Shiiiiiit
I should be asking you for music writing tips not vice versa, I enjoy the music you have created thus far, and may bug you about tabs on some of them :)

Thanks man! well actualy i cant read music and havent really messed with tabs (i understand them im just not fluent) but i can see what i can do! actualy would a play through video do you any good?

concertjunkie

Reaction score
Thanks man! well actualy i cant read music and havent really messed with tabs (i understand them im just not fluent) but i can see what i can do! actualy would a play through video do you any good?

that sounds good to me! i'll send you my request when Im done listening to the rest of it :D

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
1 thing i do is write all my material in fl studio or guitar pro so i can see the whole song in context, it really helps flesh out ideas

edit JESUS CHRIST YOUR MUSIC GOT ME SO PUMPED!!!!!!

Pengu

Reaction score
Dude your stuff is amazing only thing I would say is that you should try and make your songs flow a bit more instead of having it riff to riff. Other than that, well done dude :hbang:

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
My only suggestions would be to study new techniques you may not be familiar with (touchstyle playing, sweeping, djent, etc.), learn new scales (perhaps some exotic modal scales?), learn how to play and write polyrhythms and polymeters, utilize counterpoint (which I see has already been suggested, but it's about the best advice I can give), and use unconventional harmonies (I've been harmonizing in half-steps in a few of my more recent riffs, although they've been very tech-death oriented, and less progressive metal oriented).

That's the best advice I've got to give, although your songs don't seem to need any work :lol:

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I thought the voice on the first track sounded familiar, turns out it's Ryan Strain \m/

Your stuff's pretty cool!

')