Help w/ Neural DSP - No Output

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been having some odd issues as of late with Neural DSP. The Standalone apps work just fine. However, for about a week or so now, the Neural plugins (Nolly and Gojira) won't produce sound in my DAW (Reaper). My other plugins work fine. I can see that I am producing a signal both in the track, and oddly enough in the signal meter within the numeral plugin itself. Yet... No sound!

I've updated my iLok, as well as updated to the newest version of Reaper. That didn't solche it either. What is odd is that I just finished recording bass, and my plugins for that worked just fine.

I checked that the track is armed, on channel 1 where I plug in with my guitar, etc. I am really at a loss here. Most of the online forums address a different issue where the standalone app doesn't output sound.

Any thoughts here? I'd appreciate any help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
The only issue I've had with mine like that is when I forget to X out of the tuner. Hopefully it's that simple. Good luck

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The odd thing is that I checked to see if the tuner works. Indeed it does. Yet, when I unmute and X out, still no sound. I've contacted Neural's support team in the meantime.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Ok, if the tuner is responding properly then I suggest sticking any kind of plugin that has a scope/RTA function on it after Neural DSP. Open up the new plugin and hit play, and see if there is any level arriving on the other side of Neural. If there is no sound coming out of Neural, then yeah that's a weird software problem. But if there IS sound coming out, but not playing back, then you have a routing issue not related to Neural. Go check your ins and outs and make sure that this track is actually being sent to the master out. Play it back without Neural and make sure you are hearing the clean DI out the speakers.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
hello-it-have-you-tried.gif

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK eveyone, here are some updates... I tried restarting my computer again and logging in and out of iLok again. I still was getting nothing out of my Nolly Plugin in my DAW. Again, the standalone worked fine.

This time, however, my Gojira plugin worked! I checked and saw that I was getting input and output levels from Gojira, but not from Nolly. I then switched to a different preset in Nolly and...boom! It worked ! But, when switching back to my old preset, same problem.

I opened a new track, same issue. So, it's something about the present that isn't working. What's weird is that I have been using the same preset for a month now. So, it just suddenly decided it wouldn't work anymore. I use my own IRs for that preset, but I then tried other similar presets that use my own collection of IRs (including the exact same ones as the problem preset on Nolly) in both Gojira and Nolly with no issues.

No idea what's going on... But, at least there is some sound ?

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
OK eveyone, here are some updates... I tried restarting my computer again and logging in and out of iLok again. I still was getting nothing out of my Nolly Plugin in my DAW. Again, the standalone worked fine.

This time, however, my Gojira plugin worked! I checked and saw that I was getting input and output levels from Gojira, but not from Nolly. I then switched to a different preset in Nolly and...boom! It worked ! But, when switching back to my old preset, same problem.

I opened a new track, same issue. So, it's something about the present that isn't working. What's weird is that I have been using the same preset for a month now. So, it just suddenly decided it wouldn't work anymore. I use my own IRs for that preset, but I then tried other similar presets that use my own collection of IRs (including the exact same ones as the problem preset on Nolly) in both Gojira and Nolly with no issues.

No idea what's going on... But, at least there is some sound ?

Sound is a positive step!

I would have to guess that you accidentally did something aggravating in your preset. There's loads of knobs and switches and levels that you could potentially have hit, but if anything was just accidentally set to zero then the whole thing will stop making noises.

Assuming you really love your existing preset, I would take screenshots of each section to refer to, then start fresh and set a new instance to your old settings, then check its still working every few knobs.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Only other thing I'd suggest is Reaper gives you a LOT of routing output options, and while this seems to be tied to a preset, maybe just check to make sure the plugin doesn't also support routing beyond simple stereo out, and you're, say, outputting to 3/4 rather than 1/2 or something.