Help with 1x12 please

• Thread starter nikki-k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Hi!
Slimming down my gear.. not enough room, and want to narrow my choices a bit. I am a paraplegic in a wheelchair, and due to injury types/extent, playing out regularly is not an option. Recording at home is tho!!! :D

I have a hybrid loaded Dean Markley 4x12 I love. It was my staple for live use for years and years, and satisfies my 4x12 needs. Sounds great mic'd (from 57's to ribbons, close to far/corner). I also have a homemade 4x12 (28x28x14.. odd size), but it is unloaded, and needs more work. Finally, a Carvin Legacy 4x12 w/16ohm V30's. My Dean Markley blows the Legacy away for me, and since I am tired of dealing with tube power amp BS, the Legacy can go with the Legacy head.

OK.. so, I sold my Marshall 800 head, am going to sell my Legacy 1/2 stack, will be selling my Sound City L120 head (once it gets a retube/bias and clean bill of health), and just sold my Mesa 2:90 today. Solid state power FTW!!! I am keeping my Mesa TriAxis tho, as it is.. well, sweet. I have tried it with one Solid State power amp I have, and it works for me (sound is in the fingers and soul anyway..lol..) I have a couple solid state pre's as well (even have an old Scholz rockman!).

I want to grab a nice 1x12. Will be (99% likely) only for recording. I am leaning VERY strongly towards one of my fav speakers, the EV-12L (EVM-12L), the 200W/8ohm version. A natural match would be a TL806 based cab. I found a guy making these (boogafunkcabs.net), and watched a few youtube vids (he abuses one with a hammer, circular sander, and then belt sander-lol!!!). Although a cheaper grade of ply, they look good, and reviews are good. The Mesa ones (TL806 inspired builds) can be found used, but rarely (that I have seen) have the EV's in 'em.

The other one I saw was the Bogner Cube. A V30 is one option for it; putting an EV in it seems.. wrong (rear load). Avatar was another option, but the price being cheap makes me question construction. Any other choices?

Like I said- solely for recording. I am doing primarily prog rock type stuff, hint of metal. No Mesa Rectifier/slammed POD/Krankenstein type stuff.. not even close really. TriAxis Lead 2 yellow, gain not full up, and for anything more, I might slip a DOD 250 overdrive at minimal settings for a little more boost. I do not really have the ability to try alot of choices out unfortunately. Want something that is tight and clean, good freq range coverage, and handles a standard tuned 7-string (UV with EVO7 + Blaze neck), as well as a nice elderly Les Paul Custom with vintage PAF's. Not looking for speaker break up at all, so I figure cab tone will play the biggest role in 1x12 choice.

Sorry for the length..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 with an EVM-12L and i love it. They do pop up from time to time. I've heard they're also good with the Celestion C90 in them.

$425 for the boogafunk with the EVM-12L seems pretty decent, but you can probably find a Mesa in the $350 range.