Help with amps (what ones go well with sevens)

• Thread starter Days Break
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
Notice that I said that the one I've been playing is running 2 powertubes instead of 4, which effectively cuts the power in half. :)

oops.... I was asuming, as far as tubes go, the Blackmore was more like the Savage 120 (which has 2 6550 poweramp tubes for its 120W).
but the Blackmore has 4 5881s

wrong info on my side

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
DEIZEL VH4
PEAVEY 5150/6505
ENGL POWERBALL
& A NEW DISCOVERY FOR ME

THE PEAVEY JSX, I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED AT THE AMOUNT OF GAIN & BALLS, & VERSATILITY OF THIS AMP.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regardless of the negative rep left, that doesnt change the fact that you are off base Pablo. It is not "trash talking" nor is it being "holier than thou". It's called FACTS. I'll say it ONE LAST TIME: It depends on the amp setup in question! In the case of a Single Rec vs Dual, the latter is definitely tighter and clearer thanks to the added headroom. But with plenty of other models/amps/cabs (incl. other Mesas), 50w/60w heads have all the clarity and tightness at the same volumes as 100w heads. This idea that you can use a standard tuned instrument just fine with a 60w head, but then a 7-string it wouldnt be good enough, is fairly absurd. Perhaps you should look into better pickups or whatnot?

I really don't even understand how this stuff can be disputed. It is a case by case basis kind of thing, and as a general blanket statement it makes no sense.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's almost aneurysm-inducing merely imagining an appropriate response to what you just said, so I'm not even going to bother trying to go over the science. Hopefully someone else can put the time in becuase I just don't have it. Your gross over simplification and overrating of wattage is just mind-boggling.

Yeah, nothing condescending there at all.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well I'm sorry if I was over the top, but I was just really floored by what that guy was saying. This was an advice thread, I felt the fellow asking for help finding the right amp for his 7-string deserved to be aware of misinformation. Just trying to help, seeing as many 50/60w amps such as Laneys, Mesas and ENGLs are among the best amps for 7-strings of any in existance. It would be a shame if someone was going to frown upon those because they weren't 100w.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
I think you got my initial post completely wrong Zimbloth: never did I frown upon 50w amps or your 60w Fireball (with which you are clearly very happy) - my experience just tells me that a 180w Diezel does a better job - especially on 7-strings - in my real life playing situation. I simply shared my experience with the initial poster, nothing more - nothing less.

It is clearly your opinion that my experience isn't valid, it is clearly your opinion that 3db isn't a lot and it is clearly your opinion that power tube saturation and sag has nothing to do with the reproduction and definition of e.g. the low B. I can learn to live with that.

I will refrain from commenting further to this thread, as nothing constructive would come from it.

Cheers

Eske

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dont disagree with ANYTHING you just said man. It just seemed like you were applying your experience with Diezel to some kind of general rule. If we had a misunderstanding, I apologize. I don't think your experience is invalid.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
It's called FACTS.

:spock:

I'll say it ONE LAST TIME: It depends on the amp setup in question! In the case of a Single Rec vs Dual, the latter is definitely tighter and clearer thanks to the added headroom.

fact  /fækt/ [fakt]
-noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

o‧pin‧ion  /əˈpɪnyən/ [uh-pin-yuhn]
-noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal. :idea:
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Arent there some things that are measurable and not subjective? :|

pendar

Reaction score
Hughes & Kettner warp 7, Works great with both my jackson 7's ( c.o.w. and dk7 reverse)

CHAWLthornacus

7-string bender
Reaction score
switching from 12'' speaker's to 15'' helped with my detuned 6 as well as my 7-stringer. just one 15 is almost better than 4-12's. i play through two single 15's most of the time, it's different and easier transport. i have two 4-12's also.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's an interesting point about 15" speakers. I definitely think 15's will help the low end thump, but I'd be a little worried about solely using 15's in case it made the high end flabby. I think I'd take a leaf out of Dimebag's book and mix 12's and 15's. Maybe one 2x12 cab and a 1x15. Randall actually make a cab with 2x12's and a 15 in it.

* metalfiend666 would like to make it clear that this post is just his oppionion, not fact, and he is not claiming anyone's posts to the contrary are crap. It's simply his view on things and you are entitled to a different view if you wish.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
about the Warp 7: I checked it out and have heard it used live a few times..... I've NEVER liked the sound of it.
either it sounded dull (like a blanket over the amp or something) and wasnt agressive at all or it sounded like hiss that I would filter out in a studio-situation once the other guitarplayer (with a different amp) started playing, too....:noplease:

maybe I just havent met a player who was able to dial them good enough, dunno, I'm open for good-sounding soundclips or anything, I just never heard those produce a sound that I like so far...:shrug:

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
I've owned an ENGL powerball and the only thing it learned me was that it was a disaster without a Boss NS-2, and the other guitarist's mesa 2ch triple rec. kept smoking me all the way... (to think that, at that moment I even dared to call it the rectokiller :nuts: )

Only got the problem solved when I sold it and bought a triple rec. myself... :shred:

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
noisegate? was it noisy? or giving feedback?

I only use the internal noisegate in my powerball and have no problems with noisyness or feedback at all:scratch:

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been playing with a Mesa Triaxis the past few weeks and I'm having a great time. Midi controllable, tweakability, a lot of great tones in one box. Might be worth a shot.

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
noisegate? was it noisy? or giving feedback?

I only use the internal noisegate in my powerball and have no problems with noisyness or feedback at all:scratch:
I used a rocktron replifex through the loop, and with the internal noisegate, the hush from the replifex full on, AND a rocktron hush the pedal full on after the replifex kept it silent with breaks and stuff... almost...

and then still I had the problem of being buried by the other guitarist's mesa... everything improved for the better since I bought a triple rec. myself and sold off my fx :shred:

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
wow.... well, I dont use any FX in the loop of mine (though I plan to buy a GMajor somewhen in the future) and have no noise-problems whatsoever only with the internal noisegate.
I also had the amp updated to V2. it has a much stronger noisegate now.

I know what you mean with getting buried in the mix, the Powerball is not the easiest amp to dial for band-use. once I had a good cab (ENGL 212Pro VH) and better settings I could cut through without a prob though (actually I had to be carefull not to bury my other guitarrist AND the bassist). none of us have ever owned a Recto though (I've only tested it in a store)

if the triple rec works better for you, thats just fine of course! not trying to convince anyone

I just hope I can use my powerball in the band again somewhen soon... I dont want to bring my whole halfstack for every rehearsal and I cant leave it at the rehearsal room :(
last time I used my VAmp Pro through a bass-combo, not the best thing at all

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just trying to help, seeing as many 50/60w amps such as Laneys, Mesas and ENGLs are among the best amps for 7-strings of any in existance.

Again, dude, fact vs. opinion, coupled with the fact that you're also factoring playing needs into this.

If you're looking for maximum headroom to preserve the impact and clarity of the low B, then generally accepted wisdom, based on thousands of players' experience with thousands of amps, then all else equal a higher wattage amp WILL preserve low end clarity better than its lower wattage bretheren at a given output level. More wattage equals more volume before poweramp breakup, and one of the things people love about power amp distortion is that it IS frequency dependant, to a certian extent.

To say that several 50-60 watt amps are "the best for seven strings" presupposes a number of things, but the biggie is that every seven strng guitarist is looking for the same things from an amp that you are, in terms of playing response, tone, and feel. As a correlary, it also supposes that there is only one way to get there.

So, I'll kick your own questions back at you - I just don't understand how any of this stuff can be disputed. You are aware of the difference between subjective and measurable, correct?

I realize I'm being a dick, but I'm also trying to make a point here.

')