Help with Anxiety ?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
i suffer from this all thruout my life.

Someone said or did something that you intrepret as negative or threatening and your mind replays what that person said or did over and over 24/7 and this increases your anxiety and stress levels ...you sometimes lose sleep. The only thing i can do is try and distract my mind by buying gear or talking / vending to someone i trust.

It has gotten better, i used to avoid and actually taken action due to these thoughts. I tried o avoid people so i dont get into situations that would trigger my anxiety.. but i realize its inevitable. Now i just use positive thoughts...saying what people do or say does not effect how i feel about myself..they have no power over me.

Any advise or words of encouragement?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm going to say this every time you post a similar thread:

Therapist. What you need is a therapist. Not a guitar forum.

Then you'll go: "I tried therapy and it didn't work".

Then you'll get the reply "You need to try more than one therapist because they aren't all the same"

Then you'll say "But I can't afford therapy"

And someone will quip that you can afford custom guitars and vacations for your family.

Then you'll rebut with something like "but my family has to take priority"

And someone will try to suggest that your family is supposed to be part of your support structure and you're not supposed to try to shield them from your every issue, and supporting them can't come at the expense of your own well-being, etc.

Then the thread will go entirely off the rails with ribbing and some actual attempts to help and nothing will change.

Go talk to a therapist.

I'll say it a third time:

Go talk to a therapist.

tedtan

Reaction score
On your own, you can exercise (both strength training and cardio), find some means of relaxing (meditation, yoga, spending time in nature, whatever works for you), and, as TedEH said, find a therapist that works for you. And keep in mind that therapy isn’t a quick fix, all the therapist can do is give you tools to help reduce the anxiety - you will still have to use those tools when appropriate to benefit from them. But they can also prescribe anti anxiety meds if appropriate (but even these can take a while to kick in).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The word you are using over and over is "you". YOU are worried about what other people think. Instead of dissecting what other people are saying to/about YOU, try to envision they are saying/doing that to a friend or relative, and then consider what advice you would give them. Take yourself out of the equation and act as the intermediary.

I know the above might sound dumb as shit, but have you ever sensed that it is easier to give other people advice? It's also very hard for us to take our own advice that we give others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thank you for chimming in...but am i the only person suffering from anxiety? Has anybody experience anxiety before? How do you deal with it?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for chimming in...but am i the only person suffering from anxiety? Has anybody experience anxiety before? How do you deal with it?

No, no one else in the entirety of existence has ever experienced anxiety. So much so that I honestly don't even know what the word means because I've never experienced it nor has anyone else I know of, so I think it's something you're making up.

Can you use it in a sentence?

jaxadam

Reaction score
No, no one else in the entirety of existence has ever experienced anxiety. So much so that I honestly don't even know what the word means because I've never experienced it nor has anyone else I know of, so I think it's something you're making up.

Can you use it in a sentence?

My girlfriend Angsiah, she was thirsty and she wanted something hot, so I made Angsiah tea.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
My daughter has anxiety. She used not being able to step out of our front door by herself. Therapy definitely helped a lot as she got to talk about it, help her and us understand it. She refused medication. Then, she found her love in jiujitsu, trained hard (everyday), etc. She started competing, winning, and gained self-confidence. She is better now. She shows some signs of anxiety once in a while, and we see that she fights back.

Like what the previous posts say... Talk to a therapist as they make you understand it and ways to deal with it. Find a hobby or a sport to keep you busy and build your confidence.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
am i the only person suffering from anxiety?
Have you looked around lately? 9 out of 10 people, if you ask them, are experiencing some kind of anxiety at any given moment. And the last one is anxious too but just doesn't think much of it.

How do you deal with it?
This is exactly the question you should ask a therapist, because they're the ones trained and qualified to answer it in a way that can actually help you.