Help with building first rack

Reaction score
Alright so I just upgraded to a Peavey 6505+ and a Mesa Standard 4x12, now I'm going to start building my rack. I just need some opinions on everything I plan on getting. I play Hardcore/Metal/Metalcore. So here is everything I plan on getting.

Monster PowerCenter 2500
Everyone seems to knock the monster and says to go with a furman, but I've read alot of reviews saying the monster is better at getting rid of line noise, so I'm leaning toward this.

Korg Dtr-1000
I know there is a dtr-2000, but spending the extra cash on it seems pointless.

BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer
I always see mixed reviews on this one. People say they love it, some say they hate it and its pointless, also I would like some clarification on the difference between the 482i and 882i.

TC G Major w/ Behringer fcb1010
I figure getting one of these would be cheaper and a lot easier than buying a reverb, delay, phaser, tremelo, etc pedal. I would really prefer a G Major 2, but since getting one of those is about double the price of a Gmajor1, I think I'll be getting this.

I plan on putting this all in a 6u rack so I can place a shelf at the bottom to hold my NS2 and TS808 and various things I might need.

Is the anything else that would be beneficial to put in my rack? Anything I dont need? This is my first rack so I just need some clarification on all this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ozzman619

Reaction score
looks like a great rig, just add a wireless later and your set.

as for the bbe sonic maximizer, im not 100% sure but when i did research the only difference i found is the 882i has xlr inputs/outputs and the 482i uses 1/4"

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Don't bother with the PowerCenter. Get a rackmount surge protector (CyberPower CPS-1215RMS Surge suppressor) and save yourself some cash for the same functionality.

I wouldn't bother with the Sonic Maximizer either. Waste of money and rack space for something that only really sounds good when you're playing by yourself; it can lead to you losing "cut" and "focus" in your guitar sound since the effect is similar to scooping your mids.

The G Major is a solid unit, as is the FCB1010.

If you're going rack, I'd grab either a rackmount or pedal wireless unit for your guitar. The Relay series are solid; the G30 or G90 work great.

Are you going to be switching the NS2 and TS808 in and out?

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm going to go with a g30, I would love the g90, but that's a little out of my price range.
And what do you mean in and out for the NS2 and TS808? I'm a little noobish on terminology.

ozzman619

Reaction score
i believe hes asking if your going to be switching the ns2 and ts808 on and off at all or just leave them on all the time

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the Sonic Maximizer either. Waste of money and rack space for something that only really sounds good when you're playing by yourself; it can lead to you losing "cut" and "focus" in your guitar sound since the effect is similar to scooping your mids.

Yes. Don't get this. Save yourself some cash and skip the Maximizer.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
If you can try out a sonic maximizer with the rest of your rig before buying it, you should. I've found that they really help some rigs and does very little or hurts the sound of others. You can't really predict it, you just have to try it out and see where it goes. I think that's the source of its reputation for being either loved or hated.

ozzman619

Reaction score
If you can try out a sonic maximizer with the rest of your rig before buying it, you should. I've found that they really help some rigs and does very little or hurts the sound of others. You can't really predict it, you just have to try it out and see where it goes. I think that's the source of its reputation for being either loved or hated.

i would also suggest that, everyone either loves it or hates it so try it out for yourself and see which group you fall under

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Dude, you are in Start The Fire Up! Holy shit I didn't know anyone else from BAHC was on this forum! haha

')