Help with choosing “pleasant” speaker at high volume?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, I’ve found room treatment to be the absolute most powerful solution, with EQ and speakers being #2.

G12M-25 greenbacks were the most polite current production offering at volume I’ve tried, with the 70’s Peavey/CTS super festival speakers being the most pleasant in general but almost impossible to find. For EQ, I’d either go with an extremely powerful graphic like something rack or a source audio EQ-2 or boss eq-200. In the loop, the source audio produced notably “produced” sounding tones with careful tweaking in my experience. Just don’t use it out front, yikes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I’m going to try a Cannbis Rex or a HempBack along with a beam diffuser and let you guys know how it goes. I’m using a ported 1x12.

Might just block the ports so I can use a speaker more tame in the high end. Currently using an EVM 12L.

I’ve tried eq solutions, tweaking without paying attention to knobs, etc.

I understand the louder you get it tends to get harsher but, at the same time I’ve seen some pretty big bands live that sound clear without being harsh.

Maybe I need more speakers rather than pushing the one I have harder

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
With live bands, they're going through a nice PA with a pro sound guy. Not really a good comparison. And I bet isolated those tones solid awful.

It is possible you're pushing that one speaker to the point where you're getting unpleasant breakup. Upgrading to a 2x12 or 4x12 isn't a bad idea. I have both, and don't feel like they get harsh at high volumes.

It also depends on how high of volume we're talking. I don't get any harshness at levels for jamming at home, and if I was playing a gig or band practice volumes, I'd dial things in completely different anyways.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Pack the rig less the cab, hit the local store and try cabs. Take notes.

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if sound treatment isnt the solution, then what about two cabs? might be a bit of a caveman solution but in my mind you wouldn't have to push the cabs at much to get the same volume. Might mean you have to get another cab if you want them to both be the same tho.

BabUShka

Reaction score
You may try some 12" speaker diffusers for spreading evenly the sound of your cab for less harsh tone in high volumes and less dependance of your position re the cab.
Also if you break in your speakers, they'll sound less harsh.
This will probably help a lot!

I have not been in a band for many years. But we used to play really loud before and I remember we used to tape the front of the cab to make some DIY Diffusers. Simply put a cross on the cab front to the center of each speaker. Probably not the same as a real diffuser, but it sure helped a lot.

Visuals, not my pic :

marshallCC.JPG

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seriously, just throw a pillow in front of each speaker. If that doesn't work I'll do 5 pushups.

Latest posts

')