Help with first 7

• Thread starter MartinMTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartinMTL

Reaction score
Hello sevenstring community!

This is my first post, so if i am in the wrong section or anything don't hate, just tell me. Anyways, I wanted some help regarding what 7s to look at. Really I am looking for a guitar that is versatile and doesn't scream "METAL!". I do like playing metal, but also some jazz and rock - lots of clean stuff. I have been looking at Ibanez and am liking some of them, but i want to see what other options i would have. By the way, I don't want to be spending much more than $1500. Less is better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
used ibanez rg7620. theyre every bit as good as the ibanez rg1527 prestige (seeing as they were about $1200 when they came out in the late 1990's) and now they go for about $500ish used. sometimes less. in fact, most people think that the rg7620 is BETTER than the rg1527. i traded my 1527 for an rg7620 if that says anything.

better pickups
better trem
(in most opinions, but not mine) better neck
better price

you cant lose

MartinMTL

Reaction score
used ibanez rg7620. theyre every bit as good as the ibanez rg1527 prestige (seeing as they were about $1200 when they came out in the late 1990's) and now they go for about $500ish used. sometimes less. in fact, most people think that the rg7620 is BETTER than the rg1527. i traded my 1527 for an rg7620 if that says anything.

better pickups
better trem
(in most opinions, but not mine) better neck
better price

you cant lose

I'll definatley look into it. I feel like it will be kind of hard to find one. I already searched local craigslist/kijiji and ebay and found nothing.

risingsun

Reaction score
I'm also in the same dilemma as you. Same problem and everything, but I'm more into heavy stuff. I've got my mind set on definitely getting a 7 string.
Some people have recommended ESP's SC-607b, or the Horizon NT-7 but I haven't found many good reviews on either.
Any good recommendations for the same price range (>$1500) and suitable for heavy music?

If it helps, some of the bands I like include: Periphery, Within the Ruins, The Human Abstract, Whitechapel, etc..
So, technical/progressive, but also very heavy.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
TS: The first guys recommendation should do you fine, but you are right, the 7620s can be a bit hard to find. In lieu of that, check out Rondo like the guy above me recommended. They have nice budget instruments, and you rarely hear a bad thing about them, so they're worth looking into if you're looking to get your first seven string.

To risingsun: Did you mean MORE than 1500 or less? o_O

risingsun

Reaction score
TS: The first guys recommendation should do you fine, but you are right, the 7620s can be a bit hard to find. In lieu of that, check out Rondo like the guy above me recommended. They have nice budget instruments, and you rarely hear a bad thing about them, so they're worth looking into if you're looking to get your first seven string.

To risingsun: Did you mean MORE than 1500 or less? o_O
Sorry, I meant less than.

Reaction score
look guys, a hollowbody can play death metal with the right pickups. so if your looking for a guitar that can do heavy, just stop right now. because they can ALL do it. ok, not all but anything with a bridge pickup. (jazz guitars with just neck pickups or guitars with ONLY a piezo wont do so good). so dont look for what can do the heaviest. look for what FEELS the best. then look into whats built the best. then check your price range. thats the only way to get your perfect guitar.

and on the SC-607B vs. NT7 debate, the NT7 is better build quality. but a rather slim nut (i think its only 45mm or something like that)

Reaction score
and OP, look at the guitar center site for an rg7620 in the used section. the guitar center by me is selling an rg7620 for $350 used. it SHOULD be on the site (i think thats how it works). its in decent condition but with a terrible setup haha the lo-pro is sunk all the way down haha

risingsun

Reaction score
look guys, a hollowbody can play death metal with the right pickups. so if your looking for a guitar that can do heavy, just stop right now. because they can ALL do it. ok, not all but anything with a bridge pickup. (jazz guitars with just neck pickups or guitars with ONLY a piezo wont do so good). so dont look for what can do the heaviest. look for what FEELS the best. then look into whats built the best. then check your price range. thats the only way to get your perfect guitar.

and on the SC-607B vs. NT7 debate, the NT7 is better build quality. but a rather slim nut (i think its only 45mm or something like that)
Thanks for the advice. Is there any way for me to test a guitar I'm interested in from places like Guitar Center, if they don't have it?

MartinMTL

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't been able to check back here in a while. Anyways, I realize that what i said previously kind of sounds like I play a bit of metal and more rock and jazz, while it is actually vice versa. More metal, prog stuff like BTBAM. I just really want to get a versatile guitar for when I am not playing metal. I guess that depends a lot on pickups though too.

As far as the neck is concerned I am quite a fan of thin necks.

')