Help with getting an audio interface

• Thread starter anunnaki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a way to record guitar, mic-ing my amp isn't really an option as it's a Roland cube modelling amp and doesn't sound great mic-ed.

Here are some audio interfaces I've seen in my price range (£90-£130)

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | 2 In 2 Out USB2 Interface | Andertons I've read some stuff about this potentially having problems with clipping, but mostly good reviews.

Roland Duo Capture EX USB Audio Interface | Andertons This seems good, but pretty basic and it's been out for a while, I can get it used for about £90

Alesis Core 2 Channel USB Audio Interface | Andertons This is new, I don't know what Alesis' reputation is, but it has lots of useful controls and good specs.

Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture USB2 Audio Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments I can potentially get one of these used for £100-£120 or so on ebay but wouldn't want to pay the new price. It has mostly good reviews but they've been out for quite a while now.

Another option is to maybe get a used Pod HD500 and a cheap option would be to get this: SLIDE | Featured Products | Fender® Guitars or this Roland UA11 Duo Capture MK2 USB Audio Interface | Andertons

what do you guys think? I'm liking the look of the alesis..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
FWIW - I've have the M-audio Fast Track Pro and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - both work perfectly. Never had any trouble, with clipping or anything else, with either of them. These days Scarlett 2i2 gets the most use and really like it. :yesway:

Good luck with your decision! :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I was going to say the Alesis too. The amount of people having problems with clipping on Focusrites without Pads is offputting. Shame as they are solid interfaces. It just seems to be hit and miss if your guitar+picking is going to be too loud for it.
Curious Daf57 - if you pick as hard as possible with the knobs on the Scarlett all the way down, what is the peak input level in the DAW? Trying to get an idea just how close it is to clipping for those people that don't have problems.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
if you pick as hard as possible with the knobs on the Scarlett all the way down, what is the peak input level in the DAW?

Well, I have never tried that. That sounds like it might clip the best of them. :scratch:

It may be that is just suits my style and would not be ideal for a more aggressive picking style or super hot pickups. :shrug:

I do like the Alesis, too! Almost got one.

Last edited:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Okay - first off - I have the 2i4 not the 2i2 (sorry for the confusion)- quick test shows that with the pad off and picking as hard as I can with the Scarlett channel gain down there is some clipping in PT10. Good call EE. Now the advantage of the 2i4 (still in your price range OP) would be in the pad button. When I had the pad engaged there was plenty of headroom. :yesway:

So yeah - skip the Scarlett if you are think your style of playing will be a factor with clipping. :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Aye - it's a popular interface but can easily screw over a metal player with hot pickups :) If you can afford a Focusrite with a Pad that would be my suggestion.

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will probably get the alesis for the price and functions it has, but if it has issues I could return it and get myself the slightly more expensive 2i4.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Cool one last thing for you or anyone else reading this - A DI box is an easy fix for instrument inputs that are too loud, as DI boxes send out mic signal for the mic preamp on XLR - you'll never find a mic preamp that clips at it's minimum haha.

tscoolberth

Reaction score
I have the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 (which is now discontinued). Had the Saffire 6 before that.

That clipping tip is a good one and I'll have to watch for that.

I've found the Focusrite super reliable and very quick to set up.:shred:

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Scarlett 2i2 and haven't had any clipping issues regardless of how hard I pick.

I have a variety of pickups including EMG-81, EMG-85, SD Distortion, SD Custom, BKP Painkiller, SD AHB-1 Blackouts, DiMarzio Dominions. Even the higher output pickups do not clip on mine.

I have heard that the newer 2i2's don't suffer from the same issues. I purchased mine in September 2013.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
From suggested interfaces only Roland Quad-Capture will handle aggressive playing with high-output passive humbuckers because of +18 dBu maximum input. But it has 680 kOhm Hi-Z impedance and SNR ~103 dB (yet this is still better than other interfaces you mentioned).

Some technicians from one russian forum would reccomend these for your price range:
M-Audio Fast Track MK2
E-MU Tracker Pre
M-Audio Mobile Pre MKII
E-MU 0404USB
AVID Fast Track Solo/Duo

sunken0887

Reaction score
i dont know your set up but if you have firewire capability i'd go for a Saffire pro 24, i have one and i don't regret it at all

my friend has an older 8 channel alesis and he can't wait to get rid of it, he says they don't hold up very well, although can't say much about the newer ones

one very important thing you want to have on an interface is metering, without that you run the risk of getting some clipping b/c you cannot see if you are in the red

i saffire pro 24 has metering and looks like that alesis does as well

scarlett isn't a bad choice either, my friend steered me toward focusrite and im glad he did, and looks like the scarlett has some type of metering with those halo indicators, can't speak for the others interfaces , have no experience with them nor have i heard anything about them

and don't see why anyone should be clipping unless no offense, you guys aren't using the equipment properly, a lot of factors go into getting a good recording, if you guys have trouble with clipping and bad distortion, just do a little research

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
and don't see why anyone should be clipping unless no offense, you guys aren't using the equipment properly, a lot of factors go into getting a good recording, if you guys have trouble with clipping and bad distortion, just do a little research

The Hi-Z inputs were simply too loud. I've never come across an interface where I did not run the knobs at the minimum when recording DI's. However doing this on some of the Focusrites without Pads still wasn't quiet enough, resulting in a 0dB signal in the DAW.
However it's good the post above suggests they may have fixed it. I assume they would have!

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
This, but vise versa. If you have no clipping with that stupidly low Scarlett 2i2 maximum input level of -3dBu, then something magically went wrong (or you have active pups+volume way down). And SNR of Hi-Z is -87dB... These specs are just garbage.
If your guitar has hot passive pups, you shouldn't even consider any interface with maximum input level of Hi-Z lower than +14 dBu (higher is better), or equal level with PAD. And always keep in mind that every 6 dB of SNR is double difference in noise level (lower SNR is better).

People, who want just to play their guitar from time to time into ampsims might like these not so good interfaces, because they don't care/notice these flaws. And it's fine. But if you want to record some good demos - do a little research. Don't buy garbage just because other people are fine with it. No offense.

Andless

Reaction score
At the risk of being not-so-helpful, how about consider saving up a bit and go with something like RME babyface or equivalent?

Please don't underestimate the value of a good interface - buy wise or buy twice!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
At the risk of being not-so-helpful, how about consider saving up a bit and go with something like RME babyface or equivalent?

Please don't underestimate the value of a good interface - buy wise or buy twice!

This is good advice. :yesway:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

As an RME owner I can fully support this. If it's an option - DO!

breadtruck

Reaction score
It must be fate that I stumbled into this thread looking for some other people's experiences with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and see that the latest posts are from today.

I've looked around and I seem to be getting a lot of different views on this. Basically I own the Scarlett 2i2 and like others I've always had clipping on the INST setting. For the longest time I've just used the LINE setting to record guitar DIs and pracitce, and had the gain knob set to a point just before clipping. I'm only just reading now about the differences in impedance between the two settings. A few minutes ago I switched back to the INST setting and tested all my pickups with it; EMGs 81 and 85 react the best to it, with only a slight volume knob decrease needed to eliminate the clipping, whereas my other pickups (dimarzio ibz actives, cheap esp LTD passives, SD invader 7 passive) seem to require a bit more of a volume knob decrease to achieve the same. I've used some software to monitor how my presets sound after the switch, and doing a quick comparison it does seem to sound slightly better and brighter (unless my ears are playing tricks on me) but it's not a huge difference.

I'm now considering doing all my recording and practicing from now on with the INST setting but just taming the vol knob to avoid clipping. Do you guys think this would be preferable to using LINE mode? What would you do in my situation? I've read that a DI box would possibly eliminate this problem but due to lack of funds and the 50000 variables of what could/couldn't work with my setup, I'd rather rule out that option, at least until I get more serious about recording.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
breadtruck, if you plan to record active pups DI - better go with Hi-Z (INST) input and reduced volume on guitar.

I would recommend a good preamp to reduce guitar signal before the audio interface for passive pups. But buying it to use with 2i2 is precarious way to spend your money.

')