Help with life? (From that 18 yr old who moved to Sweden alone)

• Thread starter SeanSan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murmel

Reaction score
Another question though. I'm pretty much musically illiterate (I can barely read notes, don't know the circle of 5ths or whatever) but I can play pretty well. I want to go to University and study Jazz guitar but I need to learn the rudiments and everything first, where should I turn? Folk highschool?

Personally I would say that going to university for jazz studies is a bit of a waste. I know, praise music and follow your dreams and all, but being a jazz musician and living is even harder than just being a musician.

Folkhögskola however is a great alternative, and you're probably getting just as good an education. Our most renowned jazz school is Skurup Folkhögskola, there is some serious competition during audition.
I don't do much jazz, but there are quite a few schools. Framnäs Folkhögskola also has a good reputation, both among jazz players and pop/rock.
I just finished my first year of folkhögskola and will be enrolling next year as well.

During an audition to a FHSK, you usually pick a song or two from a list and play it with en ensemble of current students in front of a jury, usually comprised of teachers.
After that, there is some kind of a vista or jam test, the part where most people choke.
Then there's the theory test, which might weigh differently depending on the school.
Something to remember is that you don't HAVE to know complex theory as long as you're a good player. It helps knowing what you're doing, but if you were born super musical it won't matter, as long as it sounds good. I can tell you right away that you don't have to waste your time on the circle of fifths. No test I've been handed has featured it, not even the uni one. I think the circle of fifths is stupid anyway, I never learned it because I had other ways of figuring it out.

I'd recommend studying a lot of theory, especially harmonisation, and jam a lot. Recently I got the iReal Book app. It's like the Real Book, except you can make your own tracks or download others. There are options to change the style, tempo, whatever, it's super handy. EASILY worth the 150SEK.
This alternative requires you to have an Apple product, though. Get it if you got one, I think it's one of the best practice tools ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeanSan

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies and suggestions!

I'm reading some information on Framnäs' site (Jag förstår det! weee) and it looks good and there are other programs too. I still have other things to work on before I have to decided where I'll go for university or if I decide to work first so it's good that there are choices. I think I'll stick to self studying for now like Necris suggested. It's kinda annoying because I'm in the mood for something different everyday. Yesterday I was all about classical guitar and was listening to lots of finger style and now I'm really digging Django Reinhardt and some other gypsy jazz stuff.

Murmel

Reaction score
Use this year to study and audition next spring. Pretty much all schools audition late march - early may, so even if you wanted to go now you can't.

Look around for schools, there are a lot of them, especially in the south.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
This man is 18 and straight up just skipped to a country he doesn't know just to give himself a new start?...

Man...you are my hero. That is exactly what I wanted to do when I was 18. Although, you really can't go into it blind nowadays and hope for the best. (And sadly, with the situation here in the USA, once you're here, you're kind of stuck here while the government usurps you and the capitalism makes it harder to earn the money that you need.)

SeanSan

Reaction score
Pretty much. I like the Philippines as a place to visit but to live? Not for me. I promised myself since I was 3 that I'd live somewhere else.

neurosis

Reaction score
Pretty much. I like the Philippines as a place to visit but to live? Not for me. I promised myself since I was 3 that I'd live somewhere else.

I understand you perfectly in this sense, man. And I would guess you have had a family context that has contributed to this vision somehow.

I always wanted to leave Spain and actually went to Sweden for a while. But I didn´t have the means to support myself there until learning the language and despite god opportunity had to return back home.

I have been all around ever since. You are certainly making the right choices and have the main things (language and living situation) figured out.

I wish you all luck in your studies. You are young enough to be relentless and hopefully (from what I read it looks like no problem either) you will grow more and more resilient with time.

It´s ok to loose sleep over things. It´s your body telling you to make a move. It seems like you are moving and trying hard. So it will work. Sweden is a great country. I really miss it.

Good luck!

Overtone

Reaction score
Start a melodic death metal band. You should have a place to stay in about 4-7 years tops!

AxeHappy

Reaction score

Latest posts

')