Help with modifying an amp (Session Rockette 20)

• Thread starter NSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NSE

Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading these forums for a while, but figured it was time to join in, hope this is in the right section.

I've got an old amp I picked up second hand, a Session Rockette 20. I got it cheap ages ago when I was beginning to play. Now I can play and bought some nice new gear, I want to have a play about with the workings of my stuff.

I wondered if any of you could recommend any simple modifications I could begin to play around with? I know nothing really about electronics so I'm trawling through internet articles too. So I'd be grateful for any help you could offer me :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Hello, [...] I know nothing really about electronics [...] any help you could offer me :)

Welcome aboard!

Amplifiers are extremely dangerous. For one, more and more people are modifying them without knowing what they are doing. Secondly they have voltages that can and will kill you if you become the shortest path to ground through a B+ rail.

Third, if you cannot read schematic diagrams or understand what is going on outside of the preamp sections of the amplifier, you're in over your head. You need to understand why certain things work before you can modify anything to begin with.

Start over at ax84.com and get a simple kit. Join the forum where there are experienced professionals that can help in walking you through what to do. This includes proper soldering techniques, what hardware is involved, and other information you're not going to find easily on the internet that is reliable and solid.

Once again I cannot iterate how dangerous even small amplifiers are when powered on and when powered off depending on how the filtering is wired. It's not uncommon to see upwards of 600V DC on a B+ line with over half an amp of current which is extremely dangerous at those voltages.

Do yourself a favor and take what you're trying to do seriously. If you're just wanting to play around, pay someone with experience to do what you want as a player.

NSE

Reaction score
Right I'll start over there then. I'm not looking for any particular mod, just figured old amp lying around, good chance to learn something. But I haven't done anything other than ask on here, I don't fancy shocking myself!

Oh, and thanks for the welcome :)

')