Help With Recording On Audacity

DXL

Reaction score
Hey guys :D I've been trying to record some of my music for a while now using Audacity for Windows. Every time i try to record something however, the sound comes out a lot more distorted and grainy than when I play it. And even when I turn down the drive it begins to sound really weak. Anyone have any suggestions? I tried both plugging in my effects pedal into the mic jack on the PC and using a standard USB microphone with the amp. Do I need to get a pre-amp or something like that for the PC that comes with a recording software or is it something that I'm doing wrong and I am still able to record on Audacity? Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
You probably need to turn down the input on the computer so that you aren't redlining everything is what it sounds like. I want to guess that your wave forms just look like big long bricks when you record.

DXL

Reaction score
You probably need to turn down the input on the computer so that you aren't redlining everything is what it sounds like. I want to guess that your wave forms just look like big long bricks when you record.

I've tried that and even then it sounds the same but just at a lower volume.

swedishfish

Reaction score
Get an interface, you can pick up a cheap Behringer one for like 30 bucks.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I have the same problem too.It could be Audacity,but I haven't tried a different DAW yet.The cleans come out crystal clear though.As with the advice given to me,I'd say to get an audio interface and use the DAW that comes with it,or test Audacity with it and move to Reaper or whatever if you still yield the same results.I haven't done it yet due to my living situation...

DXL

Reaction score
I have the same problem too.It could be Audacity,but I haven't tried a different DAW yet.The cleans come out crystal clear though.As with the advice given to me,I'd say to get an audio interface and use the DAW that comes with it,or test Audacity with it and move to Reaper or whatever if you still yield the same results.I haven't done it yet due to my living situation...

when using the audio interface, do I plug my guitar directly into the interface or do I run it through the effects board first? And do I use the distortion on the fx board or do I record clean and then add the distortion once on the pc?

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
when using the audio interface, do I plug my guitar directly into the interface or do I run it through the effects board first? And do I use the distortion on the fx board or do I record clean and then add the distortion once on the pc?
That is up to your discretion.I believe people here use VSTs(computer software effects)for their tone.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Get an interface. Don't use audacity. A lot of people on here use reaper, with good reason, it is far more versatile and functional than audacity.

3trv5u

tone whore
Reaction score
Get Reaper bro. You will thank me later. And an audio interface. This will allow you to track raw DI tracks into your DAW which you can reamp later with VST software. Line6 interfaces come with POD Farm which is really cool, you have lots of effects, amps, cabs etc.
If you plan on getting something different, here are some good free amp sims:
LePou Plugins
Audio Plug-Ins
Just found this, no idea how it all sounds but hey, it's free so why not try it out
Freebies |
Also came across this nice list of free software:
Best Free Guitar Amp Simulator VST/AU Plugins!
You will also need software for simulating a guitar cab which you will find on the LePou site (LePou LeCab) and impulses:
Some really good Marshall cab impulses: Red Wire Impulse Responses | Free guitar speaker cabinet IRs
These are fine also: GuitarAmpModeling.com • View topic - Guitar Hack's Impulses - full pack

Have fun!

Latest posts

')