Help with Tama Iron Cobra loose beater head

Rizzo

Reaction score
So the thing is, I apparently lost the bolt on the back of my Iron Cobra beater head which is supposed to adjust the beater head at an angle with respect to the beater itself, and fix it in place. Pic attached.

21csx2.jpg

The result is the beater head keeps turning backwards on itself while playing, ending up at a nasty cutting angle with the bassdrum head (I'm lucky I have a protective patch on it), if not turning completely backwards until it's hitting on its plastic back side. Another pic attached.

a0ge1k.jpg

I honestly can't understand how that bolt would be supposed to keep the beater head in place, since first the interchangeable head mounts by slipping it in on a "barrel roller" (let's call it like that, people who have Cobras do know) which has a tiny bit of give in friction with the actual head (it does turn on itself by swiveling on that internal "barrel", the circular thing you see in the middle of the head in pic 2), and second however the actual bolt would be just pushing on the felt on the other side of the head, and not really holding any mechanism or stopping anything else from moving in any way. At least that's what I feel by looking at it.

Anyways, I looked around the house for a fitting bolt. Found one, albeit too long, and tried screwing it in and nothing changed apart from the fact that I was at some point pushing the felt outside of the head (due to the lenght of the bolt, again). Nothing changed in friction and the head kept spinning.

So, this being said, I'm asking all owners of Iron Cobras: what should I do?
Should I just glue it down and call it a day? But I wouldn't want to ruin the beater. I also want to keep resale value.
I hypothetically found the spare part online, which would be that (I assume all bolts on the Cobra are the same lenght, since there's just one bolt variant):
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tama_ms612sh_square_head_bolt_m6x12.htm

Would that solve the problem, or would it be something else?
Would I be better off just buying a whole new beater, i.e. link below, and keeping this one as a backup?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tama_cb90.htm

Waiting for your advice, cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
You've also lost the clip thing that the bolt tightens in order to clamp the head around the...spindle...thingy.

Rizzo

Reaction score
You've also lost the clip thing that the bolt tightens in order to clamp the head around the...spindle...thingy.
Damn. I have no idea how the single spare parts look since I got this used and never had an IC before. Do they sell that as a spare?
Or am I better off just getting a whole new beater at this point?

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Can you put it on the other way up so it just gets pushed into place rather than further round?

I do have one that I could go outside and check this on but I'm too lazy right now.