Help with the custom 8

• Thread starter kershyboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking of getting a custom 8 string so I've been thinking of specs lately

heres what Ive come up with so far:

RG type body (with a cutaway and back of the lower horn sculpted and beviled)
Body wood: Swamp Ash
fanned frets 25.5 -28.5
24 frets
Fretboard: Ebony
neck: some form of maple neck
Inlays: none
Pickups: Lundgren Pickups or Bare knuckle
5 way switch
Piezo pickup (maybe i ant decided yet)
Bridge: Dunno yet
Tuners: Dunno yet
Nut: Dunno yet
Finish: Satin red or natural oiled finish

I've probs missed something out knowing me

If you guys got any advice to point me in the right direction with hardware or specs, or even who i shall get the beast built by. I'd be very greatfull

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
sounds damn awesome to me. Pretty close to what I chose for mine actually :)
I ended up having a custom hardtail bridge built with piezos in it too. and sperzel locking tuners.
You'll have to think about neck thickness and the like too, and the width of the neck at the nut and string spacing at the bridge respectively. (iirc, mine was 55mm at the nut, like the rg2228, and 73.5mm total at the bridge, pretty much a standard 7-string ibby spacing, with one extra string).

imo swamp ash it totally the way to go for low tuned 8s.

Fret wire is another thing, I went for stainless steel. never tried it before so I hope it works out well

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
i like the feel of of my rg2228 neck wise so it'll probs be similar thickness and width etc.
and jumbo frets of course

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´d go all the way to 29" on the long side of the fanned frets, just to go all the way. the little added tension and timbre is worth it :p

D

Desecrated

i´d go all the way to 29" on the long side of the fanned frets, just to go all the way. the little added tension and timbre is worth it :p

I think I would stay on 28.625, it would be interesting with a 25.5-28.625. Thats a pretty steep fan.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
My Oni 8 had 60mm or just over 2 inches of fan and felt 'right'. What tuning do you intend to use? I'd assume F# but the 25.5" scale on the treble makes me think you would like to tune up a little, otherwise I wouldn't bother with such a short scale.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
My Oni 8 had 60mm or just over 2 inches of fan and felt 'right'. What tuning do you intend to use? I'd assume F# but the 25.5" scale on the treble makes me think you would like to tune up a little, otherwise I wouldn't bother with such a short scale.

I"d assume he wants less tension on the upper strings for bending and such.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score

I normally tune to half a step down. (F,Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb)

if you've got any advice more i'd much appreciated it